The (high) cost of neutering a bulldog.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
There must have been something in my life somewhere that makes me not trust people on instinct. You guys might remember when I initially got a quote on getting Remi neutered, which was between $450-$500. Only having cats spayed/neutered, I was blown away by the dollar signs. One of Remi's testicles didn't drop at that point, so it was a worst case scenario. I was also slightly irritated at my vet, who is by far not a people person and kind of rude and judgemental about how you take care of your pet.

I took Remi to another vet, which I've had great experience with for emergency care, for a second opinion. However, this time, I was super annoyed because the doctor was pushing science diet on me. I was like seriously?! Stop talking. I actually said, "yeah, I can't do that" LOL...

The quote they gave us was closer to $700-$800 for the same procedure. AND the vet said she was 98% sure she found the undropped testicle. Again, I'm totally blown away. I thought the cost would be the same, or slightly more, but not that much. PLUS - All my friends think I'm nuts. Somehow they are getting their animals neutered for less than $100 bucks. It's hard to explain to them that those discount places won't even consider operating on a high risk breed like the bulldog. Not to mention I don't want to take my dog to some facility the equivalent to some back alley abortion shindig.

So, I guess we're going back to the first vet. I keep having this twinge in the back of my head though - do you think vets try to charge bully owners more because they think we're loaded??? Or am I nuts? Paranoid even?

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
I think you should shop around more. Those quotes seem really high....even for a cryptorchid surgery......

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Pricing really goes by where you live. Both estimates you were given sound about right for NYC. You can opt to go to the humane society for a low spay/neuter price. The problem with that is that most of them only do it on a first come basis and you have to get there really early. I had an animal done by the ASPCA many eons ago and other than the inconvenience of the early morning, I was satisfied with their services. I had Raven spayed by our private vet for the same cost that you were originally quoted. That was more about convenience for us as well as just really liking my vet and the way he handles her.

Good luck in choosing. You can also look around because there are many charities that you can buy a low cost spay/neuter certificate from and there are a great deal of reputable vets that are part of the service providers. If you go to friendsofanimals.org you can plug in your zip code and see if you can buy the certificate for your area.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It does seem alot of money but I suppose the price is increased because of the undropped testicle. And as previously mentioned I'm sure geography comes into it alot. Still does seem a big wad of cash though!! :blink:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Oh my gosh :-o and i thought the quote i had of £75 was a lot and was considering shopping around to see if theyr the same prices at other vets lol. Im not sure what the equivilant is of £ and $ but it seems a lot x

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Yes shop around to be 100% honest it only cost us $245 to have our girl spayed and $1,178.60 for everything she had done so I'd be asking them to break down for you why they are charging so much for neutering even with an undropped testicle, here's the breakdown our vet gave us!!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356634928.364301.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My vet told me it would be about $450 and that was for her to be spayed and kept over night and most of the next day. Also that was including if I wanted some of her tail to be removed during surgery so without that it would be about $350 to $375. The first price seems about right but if you dont like him personally then find a different vet!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
My vet told me it would be about $450 and that was for her to be spayed and kept over night and most of the next day. Also that was including if I wanted some of her tail to be removed during surgery so without that it would be about $350 to $375. The first price seems about right but if you dont like him personally then find a different vet!

Just being a nosey bee but.. How come she has to have her tail removed? Im only asking as Meekos tail is a bit longer than usual and im curious more than anything x

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I know an undescended testicle tends to add more to the price since they have to do some exploration. When I got my quotes for Raven we got the $400-500 range for the regular spay and the $800-1000 for the laser spay.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I have been quoted a little over $800.00 for a neuter and a hernia repair when Winston is one year. The prices are crazy.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Way overpriced. Im in the nyc area. Both our boys were done for under 200 and jameson had a testicle that didnt drop

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Gunny's will be about $400 for the laser neuter plus over night and cold laser treatment in the morning. His two eyes (stitching the dastardly 3rd eyelid into submission) will be an additional $100 per eye. Insurance will cover the eye portion.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
@ncra6761-Lola has a longer tail and for some reason she doesnt have the feeling in it to lift her tail up when she goes poop so after everytime I have to clean her tail front and bacl because it will be covered! Im not sure if Im going to do it or not but my vet thought it was a good idea. He said it was fine as long as I clean it after everytime but if I don't she could have problems.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.