Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The (high) cost of neutering a bulldog.

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Unhappy The (high) cost of neutering a bulldog.

There must have been something in my life somewhere that makes me not trust people on instinct. You guys might remember when I initially got a quote on getting Remi neutered, which was between $450-$500. Only having cats spayed/neutered, I was blown away by the dollar signs. One of Remi's testicles didn't drop at that point, so it was a worst case scenario. I was also slightly irritated at my vet, who is by far not a people person and kind of rude and judgemental about how you take care of your pet.

I took Remi to another vet, which I've had great experience with for emergency care, for a second opinion. However, this time, I was super annoyed because the doctor was pushing science diet on me. I was like seriously?! Stop talking. I actually said, "yeah, I can't do that" LOL...

The quote they gave us was closer to $700-$800 for the same procedure. AND the vet said she was 98% sure she found the undropped testicle. Again, I'm totally blown away. I thought the cost would be the same, or slightly more, but not that much. PLUS - All my friends think I'm nuts. Somehow they are getting their animals neutered for less than $100 bucks. It's hard to explain to them that those discount places won't even consider operating on a high risk breed like the bulldog. Not to mention I don't want to take my dog to some facility the equivalent to some back alley abortion shindig.

So, I guess we're going back to the first vet. I keep having this twinge in the back of my head though - do you think vets try to charge bully owners more because they think we're loaded??? Or am I nuts? Paranoid even?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Linus
    Likes (Received)

I think you should shop around more. Those quotes seem really high....even for a cryptorchid surgery......

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The (high) cost of neutering a bulldog.

Pricing really goes by where you live. Both estimates you were given sound about right for NYC. You can opt to go to the humane society for a low spay/neuter price. The problem with that is that most of them only do it on a first come basis and you have to get there really early. I had an animal done by the ASPCA many eons ago and other than the inconvenience of the early morning, I was satisfied with their services. I had Raven spayed by our private vet for the same cost that you were originally quoted. That was more about convenience for us as well as just really liking my vet and the way he handles her.

Good luck in choosing. You can also look around because there are many charities that you can buy a low cost spay/neuter certificate from and there are a great deal of reputable vets that are part of the service providers. If you go to friendsofanimals.org you can plug in your zip code and see if you can buy the certificate for your area.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

It does seem alot of money but I suppose the price is increased because of the undropped testicle. And as previously mentioned I'm sure geography comes into it alot. Still does seem a big wad of cash though!!

Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

Oh my gosh :-o and i thought the quote i had of 75 was a lot and was considering shopping around to see if theyr the same prices at other vets lol. Im not sure what the equivilant is of and $ but it seems a lot x
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Yes shop around to be 100% honest it only cost us $245 to have our girl spayed and $1,178.60 for everything she had done so I'd be asking them to break down for you why they are charging so much for neutering even with an undropped testicle, here's the breakdown our vet gave us!!!! -imageuploadedbytapatalk1356634928-364301-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Jake's "missing jewel" did drop at about 9 months..we had him neutered AND an umbilical hernia repaired for $350.

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

My vet told me it would be about $450 and that was for her to be spayed and kept over night and most of the next day. Also that was including if I wanted some of her tail to be removed during surgery so without that it would be about $350 to $375. The first price seems about right but if you dont like him personally then find a different vet!

Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom2008 View Post
    My vet told me it would be about $450 and that was for her to be spayed and kept over night and most of the next day. Also that was including if I wanted some of her tail to be removed during surgery so without that it would be about $350 to $375. The first price seems about right but if you dont like him personally then find a different vet!
    Just being a nosey bee but.. How come she has to have her tail removed? Im only asking as Meekos tail is a bit longer than usual and im curious more than anything x
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

I know an undescended testicle tends to add more to the price since they have to do some exploration. When I got my quotes for Raven we got the $400-500 range for the regular spay and the $800-1000 for the laser spay.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Real Name
    Adam & Jen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

I have been quoted a little over $800.00 for a neuter and a hernia repair when Winston is one year. The prices are crazy.

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Check your Inbox I PM'd you info for my Vet, he and his staff are WELL worth it ! they are Bully Experts ! ! ! We even Board there! @ModernFemme

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads