The (high) cost of neutering a bulldog.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
We dealt with that same thing I think. We live in a small town and I do kinda think the vets see bullie owners and see $$$$$$. We were quoted by the resepcionistat our vet $600. I couldn't believe that! I have another vet recommended to me. So I went to them and asked how much? They said about $300- $400. Still a lot considering I know the owner of one of her sisters took her to a clinic an hour and a half away and got it done for about a hundred bucks. I decided to have it done at this new vet. After that I continued to go to the first vet because I do like them after all. When asked by the vet if she had been spayed, I explained that we did it else where because they had quoted me too much! My vet told me there must have been some mistake in the quote and that would work it out, that it should not be that much!?!?!? Now WTF? I think they wanted our money and were willing to lower the price if we would take our business some where else. That's what is sounds like to me. To bad I do like this vet, they are holistic and very knowledgeable they are also nice to us and the dogs, to bad they are some of the most expensive.

LuluMommaTonya

Nov 13, 2012
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu Mae
So sorry..it just has to be where you live. Lulu Mae was spayed yesterday and had her elongated palate fixed for only $291. I called around before we got her and the quotes ranged from $300-$700 and they were all highly recommended vets for English Bulldogs. We were able to bring her home in the evening, though, so there wasn't a cost for an overnight stay. If your gut isn't comfortable with the first vet, then don't go back. Keep searching or else you will never feel at peace with it. Good luck!

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
I am sure geography plays a role, but I just received a quote for $130 when the time comes for Spielman. He is going to be a dad though so I am not sure when that will be. The breeder gave us breeding rights if we would let her use him in the future and maybe have another pup. We will see.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Check your Inbox :) I PM'd you info for my Vet, he and his staff are WELL worth it ! they are Bully Experts ! ! ! We even Board there! @ModernFemme

Thanks Rarett! I almost forgot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After the vet did her whole spiel on science diet, I mentioned a lot of bully owners have their dogs on Fromm, and she said, "Oh, I never heard of that one." FACE PALM.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Yes shop around to be 100% honest it only cost us $245 to have our girl spayed and $1,178.60 for everything she had done so I'd be asking them to break down for you why they are charging so much for neutering even with an undropped testicle, here's the breakdown our vet gave us!!!! View attachment 33311

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out this break down...

blury.jpg

Basically this also includes a blood test, but even without the blood test, it's still over $600 bucks for the neutering and the exploratory surgery in case the testicle isn't where it should be. The weird part is the fluids to me.

I don't want to be unrealistic, but I've been withholding even having a $1,000 root canal done because it'll be $1,000 out of my pocket. $700 is just crazy to me!

At least they are kind enough to throw in free nail clipping ;) LOL!

M

mabel lou

As much as I love love love my vet I found out that one time when my son took his dog into see the other vet who is a partner which I don't see him ever but I was with my son when he needed to take his bassett in and so we seen the guy. He cut Bodines nails and I thought that was nice and he cleaned the ears ect. Next time we go in and he does the same thing again. I said to my son I didn't know they do that here??? He said yeah mom he always does that to Bodine. Now as simple as it may seem to do that minor thing to bodine. I said that weird cause my vet being the lady who owns the business has never done that for me lol. So he gets his bill and they charged him for doing this. I was like what? So needless to say when I ask him why charge my son he said well the first time is free and then they charge but he never even ask my son lol. So yeah I think it just depends on the vet. My vet when I ask her about this she knew I didn't like him just doing what he wanted especially since we go to another place who does a fab job on the nails and certainly nothing like this vet did, said she would speak to him. My son no longer goes to him and will only see the lady vet, my fav.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
That's just a crazy price for a neuter it seems. But I guess Wilson was around $350ish and that included his blood work. I imagine that higher prices depends on ones geographical area too. But near $500 and 700/800. Wowza that's just nutz. :bigeyes:

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Check out this break down...

View attachment 33380

Basically this also includes a blood test, but even without the blood test, it's still over $600 bucks for the neutering and the exploratory surgery in case the testicle isn't where it should be. The weird part is the fluids to me.

I don't want to be unrealistic, but I've been withholding even having a $1,000 root canal done because it'll be $1,000 out of my pocket. $700 is just crazy to me!

At least they are kind enough to throw in free nail clipping ;) LOL!

AHHHH see reading that its not toooooo bad then honestly lol but yeah really $70 for fluids really a bag of saline cost $10 lol n iv tubing like $3 that's bs!!!!!! Lol see we also had an umbilical hernia repaired n nails clipped but weren't charged bcuz they already had her wide open so it wasn't any more work for them!!!! I actually think most of what ur getting was cheaper than our vet n we r way upstate ny adirondack park :p lol ny just sucks lol

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Thanks Rarett! I almost forgot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After the vet did her whole spiel on science diet, I mentioned a lot of bully owners have their dogs on Fromm, and she said, "Oh, I never heard of that one." FACE PALM.

I don't know why that surprised you. This is a doctor who thought SD was quality food :)

Vets aren't trained in nutrition. A couple of years ago they polled 9 of the 32 vet schools in the country. 5 out of the 9 only required 3 credits in nutrition while the other 4 didn't require ANY at all. Total credits to graduate varied from 46-79 per school.

They are totally clueless except for what the dog food reps tell them. Oh yeah, and a lot of dog food companies fund scholarship programs so the few schools that do require the class almost have to teach that it's good stuff.

AHHHH see reading that its not toooooo bad then honestly lol but yeah really $70 for fluids really a bag of saline cost $10 lol n iv tubing like $3 that's bs!!!!!!

Actually, the fluids and tubing are a whole lot cheaper than that. I was buying 2 cases of fluids (12 bags) for Abby a month and it was costing me 28.00 per case. Even if they were selling it to me at cost it's still only 2 bucks a bag. They threw in the needles and tubing for free!

back on topic tho...

if you go to aspca.org there is a low cost spay/neuter database. plug in your zip code and it will show you all of the places that participate in the program. Most clinics won't do bulldogs because of their breathing issues, but many veterinary hospitals are listed there too.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
@ncra6761-Lola has a longer tail and for some reason she doesnt have the feeling in it to lift her tail up when she goes poop so after everytime I have to clean her tail front and bacl because it will be covered! Im not sure if Im going to do it or not but my vet thought it was a good idea. He said it was fine as long as I clean it after everytime but if I don't she could have problems.

Any chance i can see a pic of her tail? Everybody says Meekos tail is too long for him to be a EB. I dont have the issue with no feeling tho so would never have his removed. He goes mad and always chases it so i think he knows its rong lol x

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I don't know why that surprised you. This is a doctor who thought SD was quality food :)

Vets aren't trained in nutrition. A couple of years ago they polled 9 of the 32 vet schools in the country. 5 out of the 9 only required 3 credits in nutrition while the other 4 didn't require ANY at all. Total credits to graduate varied from 46-79 per school.

They are totally clueless except for what the dog food reps tell them. Oh yeah, and a lot of dog food companies fund scholarship programs so the few schools that do require the class almost have to teach that it's good stuff.

Actually, the fluids and tubing are a whole lot cheaper than that. I was buying 2 cases of fluids (12 bags) for Abby a month and it was costing me 28.00 per case. Even if they were selling it to me at cost it's still only 2 bucks a bag. They threw in the needles and tubing for free!

back on topic tho...

if you go to aspca.org there is a low cost spay/neuter database. plug in your zip code and it will show you all of the places that participate in the program. Most clinics won't do bulldogs because of their breathing issues, but many veterinary hospitals are listed there too.

Oh wow that's really cheap then :) I was guesstimating from what I've been billed for ivs for me lol!!!!!

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
Oh, my goodness!! I wouldn't be able to afford having a dog where many of you reside. Clara is going to be spayed and microchipped next week at our vet who is very knowledgeable about bulldogs (referred there by Clara's breeder) vet for $150 ($100 for spay and $50 for the chip). The Humane Society would do it as part of their SNIP program for $20 (low cost option for those who need), but I wouldn't be comfortable taking her there when we have a good bully vet. I'm blown away by the cost of veterinary services elsewhere. We're in the St. Louis area by the way.

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.