Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The (high) cost of neutering a bulldog.

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    Check out this break down...

Attachment 33380

Basically this also includes a blood test, but even without the blood test, it's still over $600 bucks for the neutering and the exploratory surgery in case the testicle isn't where it should be. The weird part is the fluids to me.

I don't want to be unrealistic, but I've been withholding even having a $1,000 root canal done because it'll be $1,000 out of my pocket. $700 is just crazy to me!

At least they are kind enough to throw in free nail clipping LOL!
    AHHHH see reading that its not toooooo bad then honestly lol but yeah really $70 for fluids really a bag of saline cost $10 lol n iv tubing like $3 that's bs!!!!!! Lol see we also had an umbilical hernia repaired n nails clipped but weren't charged bcuz they already had her wide open so it wasn't any more work for them!!!! I actually think most of what ur getting was cheaper than our vet n we r way upstate ny adirondack park lol ny just sucks lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The (high) cost of neutering a bulldog.

Quote Originally Posted by adamslater View Post
    I have been quoted a little over $800.00 for a neuter and a hernia repair when Winston is one year. The prices are crazy.
    Winston is such a handsome bully!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks Rarett! I almost forgot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After the vet did her whole spiel on science diet, I mentioned a lot of bully owners have their dogs on Fromm, and she said, "Oh, I never heard of that one." FACE PALM.
    I don't know why that surprised you. This is a doctor who thought SD was quality food

Vets aren't trained in nutrition. A couple of years ago they polled 9 of the 32 vet schools in the country. 5 out of the 9 only required 3 credits in nutrition while the other 4 didn't require ANY at all. Total credits to graduate varied from 46-79 per school.

They are totally clueless except for what the dog food reps tell them. Oh yeah, and a lot of dog food companies fund scholarship programs so the few schools that do require the class almost have to teach that it's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by porkysmamma View Post
    AHHHH see reading that its not toooooo bad then honestly lol but yeah really $70 for fluids really a bag of saline cost $10 lol n iv tubing like $3 that's bs!!!!!!

Actually, the fluids and tubing are a whole lot cheaper than that. I was buying 2 cases of fluids (12 bags) for Abby a month and it was costing me 28.00 per case. Even if they were selling it to me at cost it's still only 2 bucks a bag. They threw in the needles and tubing for free!

back on topic tho...

if you go to aspca.org there is a low cost spay/neuter database. plug in your zip code and it will show you all of the places that participate in the program. Most clinics won't do bulldogs because of their breathing issues, but many veterinary hospitals are listed there too.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom2008 View Post
    @[replacer_a]-Lola has a longer tail and for some reason she doesnt have the feeling in it to lift her tail up when she goes poop so after everytime I have to clean her tail front and bacl because it will be covered! Im not sure if Im going to do it or not but my vet thought it was a good idea. He said it was fine as long as I clean it after everytime but if I don't she could have problems.
    Any chance i can see a pic of her tail? Everybody says Meekos tail is too long for him to be a EB. I dont have the issue with no feeling tho so would never have his removed. He goes mad and always chases it so i think he knows its rong lol x
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    I don't know why that surprised you. This is a doctor who thought SD was quality food

Vets aren't trained in nutrition. A couple of years ago they polled 9 of the 32 vet schools in the country. 5 out of the 9 only required 3 credits in nutrition while the other 4 didn't require ANY at all. Total credits to graduate varied from 46-79 per school.

They are totally clueless except for what the dog food reps tell them. Oh yeah, and a lot of dog food companies fund scholarship programs so the few schools that do require the class almost have to teach that it's good stuff.

Actually, the fluids and tubing are a whole lot cheaper than that. I was buying 2 cases of fluids (12 bags) for Abby a month and it was costing me 28.00 per case. Even if they were selling it to me at cost it's still only 2 bucks a bag. They threw in the needles and tubing for free!

back on topic tho...

if you go to aspca.org there is a low cost spay/neuter database. plug in your zip code and it will show you all of the places that participate in the program. Most clinics won't do bulldogs because of their breathing issues, but many veterinary hospitals are listed there too.
    Oh wow that's really cheap then I was guesstimating from what I've been billed for ivs for me lol!!!!!

Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Bulldog(s) Names
    Aunt Clara
    Likes (Received)

Oh, my goodness!! I wouldn't be able to afford having a dog where many of you reside. Clara is going to be spayed and microchipped next week at our vet who is very knowledgeable about bulldogs (referred there by Clara's breeder) vet for $150 ($100 for spay and $50 for the chip). The Humane Society would do it as part of their SNIP program for $20 (low cost option for those who need), but I wouldn't be comfortable taking her there when we have a good bully vet. I'm blown away by the cost of veterinary services elsewhere. We're in the St. Louis area by the way.

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

With Miss Tallulah I opted for the blood test and the extra fluids. They are optional but optimal and considering we have Bracycephalic doggies that are at much higher risk for complications or death from anesthesia it is not a bad idea if you can afford it. The actual neutering is not that expensive on your estimate, but your vet is being responsible by including those things. But if you don't feel right about your vet trust your instincts. You want someone you can trust and develop a long term relationship with.

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tooleysmom View Post
    With Miss Tallulah I opted for the blood test and the extra fluids. They are optional but optimal and considering we have Bracycephalic doggies that are at much higher risk for complications or death from anesthesia it is not a bad idea if you can afford it. The actual neutering is not that expensive on your estimate, but your vet is being responsible by including those things. But if you don't feel right about your vet trust your instincts. You want someone you can trust and develop a long term relationship with.
    Is would still be close to $600 without the blood test. According to them, they can't do the blood test unless my dog is sedated.
    Last edited by ModernFemme; 12-28-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: I suck at math

Real Name
    Lucie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Liz and Amy
    Likes (Received)

I live in Long Island. We were quoted $500 for each of our girls to be spayed. So I found a rescue vet. They did them each for $160. I was a little nervous, but everything came out without a hitch.
    Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend. ~Corey Ford

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ncra6761 View Post
    Any chance i can see a pic of her tail? Everybody says Meekos tail is too long for him to be a EB. I dont have the issue with no feeling tho so would never have his removed. He goes mad and always chases it so i think he knows its rong lol x

Bully tails come in all kinds of shapes and lengths!!! Daddy's is curly. Linus is like a question mark. And Bella has a stub. Til I got Maggie I always thought bully tails were cropped but now I know they come in all sizes!!!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Is would still be over $600 without the blood test. According to them, they can't do the blood test unless my dog is sedated.
    They only do Miss T's blood work when sedated too. I think they are being responsible but are a bit pricey. Often if the vet's place is large with a big staff then they may charge more. Kind of like lawyers and dentists. You pay more for the expensive offices. If it were me I would try to find a vet who understands Bullies and does all those thing and see if they quote a little less. There is nothing wrong with shopping around. Also I am in Canada so prices may be different but I paid around 500.00 including taxes and pain meds, including morphine. But Miss T is female and sprays are a bit more expensive here. Then again if they are going in to look for a testicle it is a more complex procedure. I wish you all the best in your research.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

sarah was spayed this summer and it was like 600 and some dollars but hers was an emergency and she had to stay the night and most of the next day so not sure what a regular spay would have been.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads