URGENT!!! Soft poop now explosive diarrhea this morning

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Henry 15 weeks old almost, made the switch to fromm over the course of 3 weeks. He was completely switched over to the fromm life stages pork@applesauce for about 1.5 weeks, his stool was better but still a little soft so i switched him over last Wednesday to the Beef Fratitta grain free (fromm). His stool looked good for a couple of days and became softer and softer over the holiday until this morning with diarrhea that just shot out of him. He's seems to be feeling fine, drinking water, and eating fine, and was playing this morning.

What should i do, i gave him pumpkin this morning too, about a teaspoon worth. He's just on kibble and those little bil-jac training treats, which he's been using for a couple weeks now w/o an issue. Is the Beef fratitta too rich for him ya think. Should i go bland, and if so, how should i do that? I though about switching to fromm puppy gold but didn't know if i can just change over to that without doing it gradually.

edit: he did not get any people food over the holiday-i made sure of that

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
one thing to understand about bullies is their systems are kinda sensitive and so you try not to do to much switching around of foods esp if they are young. its possible the beef is not agreeing or could be any number of things. i would put him back on the pork and applesauce till his system calms down. if he does not get better then you can do a bland diet. chicken and rice since beef could be causeing the problem. keep giving him pumpkin also. maybe cut out the biljac treats also till he is better and possibly look for a better treat as biljac is not a high rated food and im assuming the treats are not much better. keep us updated.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Should i feed him pork and applesauce for his afternoon meal or should i fast him until tomorrow morning.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if he is not throwing up then feed him with the pumpkin but maybe a bit less than normal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Should i feed him pork and applesauce for his afternoon meal or should i fast him until tomorrow morning.

I would feed him and maybe add a little pumpkin to the kibble

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He has been tested for parasites from your vet? You may have told us before but just double checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
yes, test him for parasites. Also make your food switches very very slow. It is best to take 5-7 days with a change and stick with it for about 2 weeks. In the meantime don't add anything else into the mix ie: treats. If you want to reward him with a treat, my suggestion would be to give him a couple bits of his kibble.

I switch at 1/4 portions at a time. the first 2 day 3/4 original food 1/4 new, then the next 2 days 1/2 and 1/2. go to 1/4 old to 3/4 new for a couple day then finally 100 new. It takes a while to get the full effect of the new food (sometimes up to 2 weeks) be patient.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
He has been tested for parasites from your vet? You may have told us before but just double checking.

He was at the vet 2 weeks ago and had his stool checked, it came out fine. He goes back again on 1/2/2013

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
yes, test him for parasites. Also make your food switches very very slow. It is best to take 5-7 days with a change and stick with it for about 2 weeks. In the meantime don't add anything else into the mix ie: treats. If you want to reward him with a treat, my suggestion would be to give him a couple bits of his kibble.

I switch at 1/4 portions at a time. the first 2 day 3/4 original food 1/4 new, then the next 2 days 1/2 and 1/2. go to 1/4 old to 3/4 new for a couple day then finally 100 new. It takes a while to get the full effect of the new food (sometimes up to 2 weeks) be patient.

He was fully switched over to Fromm life stages 2 weeks ago. I was told by the pet food store, that once fully switched, i could change it up whenever with any of the other life stages. It doesn't look like the beef fratitta grain free is agreeing with him though. He was on pork and applesauce but his stool was still too soft for my liking, so i tried the grain free

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I'm going to give him the pork and applesauce with some more pumpkin this afternoon and see if it gets any better, if it's still diarrhea, i'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow to check for parasites.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sounds like you got great advice from everyone. Yes you can change any of the Fromm Foods without having to transition, so maybe a good idea to go back to the Pork and apple sauce. Also how much are you feeding him each day? Maybe he's getting too much? Hoping you an figure it out and he gets better. Good luck. I know it's frustrating trying to find the right foods that they tolerate, as I had to change Blossom 4 times before we found the right one. Keep us posted.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Sounds like you got great advice from everyone. Yes you can change any of the Fromm Foods without having to transition, so maybe a good idea to go back to the Pork and apple sauce. Also how much are you feeding him each day? Maybe he's getting too much? Hoping you an figure it out and he gets better. Good luck. I know it's frustrating trying to find the right foods that they tolerate, as I had to change Blossom 4 times before we found the right one. Keep us posted.

i feed him 3/4 cup twice a day currently. The little guy is off and on. He's got a decently firm/formed stool for a day and then soft the next with the pork/applesauce. But its getting softer and softer to diarrhea over the course of the long weekend after switching to grain free.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
He's 15 months old so 3/4 of a cup twice a day shouldn't be too much. My 2 guys are 10 months old, and I feed them 1 1/2 cups twice a day of the Fromms Beef.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Fromm is not meant to do a full switch without a transition, or is meant to mix and switch. For example, pork and applesauce for breakfast, beef frittata for dinner. Next day, game bird for breakfast, pork and applesauce for dinner. If going completely from one food to the next without keeping a switch off I still recommend a transition. Not as long as with switching to a different brand, but still a short one is needed. I think people are easily confused by this. It is meant to give variety to their palette, not for a full switch.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.