General Question Poop turned soft two weeks ago, but no diet change... problem?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OK, tests were negative - no parasites. The bland diet firmed her up nicely. Apparently (and this surprised me) Rosie is not allergic to rice, so it must just be potatoes that really set her off (she gets these nasty cysts between her toes). Anyway, we're now slowly switching her back. She seems happy!

the cysts usually are a sign of an allergy.... there is a thread with a info on how to treat, but you can soak paws in warm water and epsom salt to help... perperation H helps to lessen the pain and swelling and there is something else... escapes me right now. if I find the thread I will come back and post the link

OP
D

Damian

Dec 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Yes, we tried soaking her feet and that seemed to help a little, but we really noticed that diet caused the cysts, and if we were careful about feeding Rosie, the cysts went away completely. It's just better to avoid the cysts in the first place. So I've been a little paranoid about giving her anything with grain, but as this recent experiment shows, it wasn't all grain that was the problem, and maybe it was just potatoes. We may look around for a potato-free limited ingredient food, with or without rice, although now that we've completely switched her back to her regular sweet potato and salmon limited ingredient food, she's pooping normally so maybe there isn't a reason to go looking for a new food.
Rosie Jan 2013.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, we tried soaking her feet and that seemed to help a little, but we really noticed that diet caused the cysts, and if we were careful about feeding Rosie, the cysts went away completely. It's just better to avoid the cysts in the first place. So I've been a little paranoid about giving her anything with grain, but as this recent experiment shows, it wasn't all grain that was the problem, and maybe it was just potatoes. We may look around for a potato-free limited ingredient food, with or without rice, although now that we've completely switched her back to her regular sweet potato and salmon limited ingredient food, she's pooping normally so maybe there isn't a reason to go looking for a new food.
View attachment 35710

Have you thought or talked to your vet about doing a full blood screen allergy test... it will give you a list of hihg/low sensitivities and you'll know what to avoid. I did it with both mu bullies and the cysts stopped after removing chicken and rice from their diets.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Reading all of the replies on this thread, lots of good opinions, suggestions and advice.
While there are a lot of similarities in bulldogs, each one is different. The common traits regarding sensativity or allergic to chicken and/or grain seems to be fairly common but not universal.

Any changes in the routines of a bulldog causes changes. Stress related mostly.

Glad to hear no medical issues.

Good Day~!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.