Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poop turned soft two weeks ago, but no diet change... problem?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Poop turned soft two weeks ago, but no diet change... problem?

Alright, Rosie's been on her slightly reduced diet with a big glob of pumpkin for a while now, and while it seems to have stopped her diarrhea (which had been a problem only briefly), she still has pretty soft poop, and yesterday when I took her to the dog park, where she loves to run and run and always gets a few poops in (which always trend from harder to softer), her last two were basically liquid which is not normal for her. SO - I would say the pumpkin is not a slam-dunk success, although it seems to have helped a little.

BTW, Rosie is pretty small, 40-42 lbs, but we target 42-45 for her (right now, we see her ribs a bit too much). So we're pretty sure we're not overfeeding. She's usually very good about not eating strange things around the house - early on my wife was very good about training Rosie to chew her toys rather than our stuff, and the lesson seems to have stuck. But stray bits of floor food are another story, and it's just impossible to be sure that she hasn't gotten, say, a few stray coffee beans that I might have dropped while grinding the morning brew (I imaging that would do nothing good for her digestion!) or as I mentioned, our one year old does get in the mood to feed her his food from time to time (we usually crate her for her own good when he's feeling like that).

Also, Rosie is farting a lot!

Anyway, we'll have to get her to the vet next week probably, and get checked for parasites to eliminate that as a possibility. >sigh<

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie
    Likes (Received)

ok, today we took in a stool sample to the vet; we're concerned about trying any mild diet because Rosie is allergic to grain, so the standard rice-and-chicken sounds like a recipe for cysts between her toes. Will report on outcome.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie
    Likes (Received)

OK, tests were negative - no parasites. The bland diet firmed her up nicely. Apparently (and this surprised me) Rosie is not allergic to rice, so it must just be potatoes that really set her off (she gets these nasty cysts between her toes). Anyway, we're now slowly switching her back. She seems happy!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    OK, tests were negative - no parasites. The bland diet firmed her up nicely. Apparently (and this surprised me) Rosie is not allergic to rice, so it must just be potatoes that really set her off (she gets these nasty cysts between her toes). Anyway, we're now slowly switching her back. She seems happy!
    the cysts usually are a sign of an allergy.... there is a thread with a info on how to treat, but you can soak paws in warm water and epsom salt to help... perperation H helps to lessen the pain and swelling and there is something else... escapes me right now. if I find the thread I will come back and post the link
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie
    Likes (Received)

Yes, we tried soaking her feet and that seemed to help a little, but we really noticed that diet caused the cysts, and if we were careful about feeding Rosie, the cysts went away completely. It's just better to avoid the cysts in the first place. So I've been a little paranoid about giving her anything with grain, but as this recent experiment shows, it wasn't all grain that was the problem, and maybe it was just potatoes. We may look around for a potato-free limited ingredient food, with or without rice, although now that we've completely switched her back to her regular sweet potato and salmon limited ingredient food, she's pooping normally so maybe there isn't a reason to go looking for a new food.
    -rosie-jan-2013-jpg

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    Yes, we tried soaking her feet and that seemed to help a little, but we really noticed that diet caused the cysts, and if we were careful about feeding Rosie, the cysts went away completely. It's just better to avoid the cysts in the first place. So I've been a little paranoid about giving her anything with grain, but as this recent experiment shows, it wasn't all grain that was the problem, and maybe it was just potatoes. We may look around for a potato-free limited ingredient food, with or without rice, although now that we've completely switched her back to her regular sweet potato and salmon limited ingredient food, she's pooping normally so maybe there isn't a reason to go looking for a new food.
    -rosie-jan-2013-jpg

Have you thought or talked to your vet about doing a full blood screen allergy test... it will give you a list of hihg/low sensitivities and you'll know what to avoid. I did it with both mu bullies and the cysts stopped after removing chicken and rice from their diets.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

Reading all of the replies on this thread, lots of good opinions, suggestions and advice.
    While there are a lot of similarities in bulldogs, each one is different. The common traits regarding sensativity or allergic to chicken and/or grain seems to be fairly common but not universal.

Any changes in the routines of a bulldog causes changes. Stress related mostly.

Glad to hear no medical issues.

Good Day~!
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads