Help Needed! Eye problem

wicked4life

Jul 9, 2011
Hello people, thought I would turn to fellow bulldog owners for help. We noticed the other night our girls left eye was a little more closed then usual. Then next morning it was the same and the bottom was red. We applied an antibiotic twice yesterday and once this morning. Was thinking it was some kind of conjunctivitus but looking closer it appears the inside bottom looks imflammed. Wondering if this looks like cherry eye? If it is antibiotics will have no affect so I'm looking at opinions before a trip to the vet. Thanks folks photo (9).jpgphoto (8).jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww it looks like cherry eye to me. How old is she? My female Blossom got her first cherry eye when she was 5 months old, and we fixed it at the same time as we spayed her at 7 months old. Then a week after her surgeries, the left eye came out :down: . We thought we were well and clear for the other eye, because it was 3 months apart, but no such luck, so 3 weeks later we had the left eye repaired. We opted to have the eyes stitched back in, rather than taking the eyelid out, and have had great results for both eyes. :faint:. If she is still young, and this is the first time the eye has come out, you may want to wait a little bit to see if it goes away, sometimes it does. The only thing I would suggest if it does keep coming out, is to buy some refresh eye drops, and place them in her eye to help the eye from drying out , because when the eye is exposed to the air it drys out, and gets irritated which causes swelling. A trip to your vet might be a good idea, to see if it is cherry eye, as I am only seeing a picture, and could be wrong. He can give you recommendations as to what you should do. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Here is a picture of Blossoms' cherry eye

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 110

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I certainly looks like the third eyelid is swollen, if there is squinting it means there could be a scratch or ulcer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
W

wicked4life

Jul 9, 2011
Hey guys thanks for the replies, Vikinggirl her name is also Blossom, she's around 8 years old and we are from the Niagara region. Desertskybulldogs, she doesn't squint when she's alert, but when she's relaxed in her doggy bed the eye in question does squint. I'm thinking I might bath her and try to gently wash the eye out and continue alternating the antibiotic and lubricating drops for the next day, if I see no improvement we will go to the vet.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hey guys thanks for the replies, Vikinggirl her name is also Blossom, she's around 8 years old and we are from the Niagara region. Desertskybulldogs, she doesn't squint when she's alert, but when she's relaxed in her doggy bed the eye in question does squint. I'm thinking I might bath her and try to gently wash the eye out and continue alternating the antibiotic and lubricating drops for the next day, if I see no improvement we will go to the vet.

Sounds like a good plan, hopefully she will get better with that, keep us posted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

M

mabel lou

My Mabel has the same thing and I had her checked out and they said it was the third eye lid and she was not squinting or anything I just wanted to get her checked out. They said they would stain it and check for an ulcer if she should ever start acting as though it was hurting her. Ultimately they said nothing to worry about.

OP
W

wicked4life

Jul 9, 2011
Hmmm, thanks mabel lou and thanks guys, we're gonna watch closely the next couple days, this is a great site! Lots of info and good people.

Most Reactions