Reggie's skin - community experience/advice req please!

Reggie

Jul 16, 2010
Stopsley, Luton, Bedfordshire, England
Bulldog(s) Names
REGINALD GRUFFALO THE FIRST
About 2 months ago Reg developed a weeping skin patch next to his left eye which spread down the side of his face. I cleansed the gunk off his fur which had dried and gone crusty with water and the fur dropped out! I dried red inflammed area and put on a little msm anti-bacterial cream. This seemed to clear up then a patch about the size of a penny appeared on his neck. It spread, I felt my cleansing twice daily and creaming wasn't winning.
I relented and took him to the (expensive) vet for the first time since his puppy vaccs. She gave 2 weeks of antibiotic and prescribed Advocate flea killer. This cost me £80 for the visit ($160?). She told me it was a skin bacterial infection but no advise as to how he got it.
I gave Reg the tablets - it stopped spreading and cleared up but hair loss/thinning apparent on back of his neck. She told me to go back after 2 weeks just to see if it had cleared up. As it had, I didn't because another consultation would cost me £40.
However, I noticed him scratching his chin yesterday and another patch has turned up under his chin and on his head by left ear.
Does anyone know what this is? I'm feeding Orijen but high protein maybe causing skin problem so changing to James Wellbeloved hypoallergenic lower protein content kibble.
I've researched his symptoms on net and it looks very like wet exczema - what can I do to help? Also is this like children who have exczema? Will he always have it? He's 10 months now.
Thanks so much in advance, Reggies Mum.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Perhaps adding salmon oil would help his skin? They checked for mange as well I assume?

OP
R

Reggie

Jul 16, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi, I've been addiing salmon oil to his kibble which is supposed to help skin/coat condition for about 2 weeks now. I was terrified of demodex mange as I've read up so much about it so when I went to the vet I told her so but she told me to do the antibiotics first and if it didn't go she would do skin scrapes. Do you think I ought to go back and have these done to rule it out? I've read that sometimes it's not apparent on the 1st, 2nd scrapes then shows up in the 3rd?

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I would def go back and have the tests done. To relieve some of the itching/discomfort you can wash him in selsun blue and use a cream with sulfur.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Difficult ......... I've learnt so much that food is so good when it comes to clearing up 99.9% of a bulldogs health problems. Unfortunately, the recommended food advice on here is mainly for the american market so no good for you.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - do you know of any international bulldog food websites that [MENTION=879]Reggie[/MENTION] could use for the UK?????

OP
R

Reggie

Jul 16, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi,
I bought 'Coatex' medicated shampoo from vets which is anti-bac, antifungal & says it's suitable for a variety of dermatological situations - and he's had 1 bath of that already. I do not know what Selsun Blue is? Is it a shampoo or lotion? Do you know of any product names of creams with sulphur in? I may be able to get equivalent here in UK.
Thanks, Lisa.

OP
R

Reggie

Jul 16, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Also I will look at the food advise for Bulldogs with skin conditions here on this site as I'm sure I could find a UK supplier. I was previously using the Canadian food Orijen which was an expensive import but may have too high a protein content for Reg. Thanks for the ideas thus far and websites - I really appreciate it (hug)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.