General Question Billy has a random limp.

L

Lucy-licious

....what can I do?

its not all the time but when he's been asleep a while and wakes up he limps on his front right leg.

What do I do....we'll be at the vets after the New Years anyway having urine checks for crystals....should I take him now for this limp...he can go days without it bothering him...or will he be ok waiting??

Last edited:

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
See how he is in the morning. The vet should probably see him when he is limping. Take a video too, just in case it doesn't act up before you go in. Since it's an intermittent problem I'd wait unless it deteriorates further.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I think, if he walks off the periodic limp it could just be that his leg fell asleep durning his nap. It doesn't hurt to give a joint supplement to these guy's cause eventually they all get kinda stiff sometimes
Just my 2 penny's

OP
L

Lucy-licious

I think, if he walks off the periodic limp it could just be that his leg fell asleep durning his nap. It doesn't hurt to give a joint supplement to these guy's cause eventually they all get kinda stiff sometimes
Just my 2 penny's

Which is best? Glucosamine?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Which is best? Glucosamine?

Ange I give the twenty paws comprehensive joint protection call Regenex . for horses, they make for dogs too, but I get more bang for my buck with a more potent strength using a eye dropper to measure the dose for each.
It's all in one Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM I keep it in their regular diet and they stay nice and lose, Jack at eight years old is so bow legged and he periodically walks funny cause he chases stuff.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Exactly what Sherry said!! It has to include all three - glucosamine, chondritin and MSM.

At the vet visit ask them to check Billy for luxating patellas.

BrunosMum

Dec 10, 2011
Canada
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno, Mya
Bruno sometimes does this when he wakes up. It's always his back leg. I have put it down to his leg going to sleep or laying in a position for a while. A bit like what happens to us.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
id wait on it angie if its intermittant. well glucosamine and chondroitin and msm. sarah is using something now with these plus tart cherries and omegas in it also which is really helping her.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I agree with the video. If you can, get it for them to see. I think you should be able to wait especially if it usually happens only after waking up....and usually he can walk it off.

(shhhhhhhh.....this has been happening to me a lot lately too)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree it does not sound like an emergency, best to try to get that video because likely he will be stretched out by the time you get there. He has grown a LOT in the past month too, could be growing pains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
M

mabel lou

yes I take a video of my girls all the time when I begin noticing things that are different and it really helps so she can see what I am talking about. My vet told me she is happy that I do this for her because some dogs act different when they go to the vet. Sometimes explaining it to the vet can not give them the real visual that we are trying to let them know about.

OP
L

Lucy-licious

Thank you all xx We will talk to the vet when we take him down in the New Year :hug: Hopefully is something and nothing. I'll check out the availability of that stuff &Sherry suggested and get them some :hug:

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
How old. Is Billy? When Mimi (RIP) was about 6 months old she started screaming because her hip hurt. First doctor said operate. Second doctor said cut her food in half she will be fine in a couple days. Cutting her food in half worked in about 2 days. She was just growing too fast. Let me know if you would like more details, this was the short story.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online