Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I noticed that many of the older bullies I list for adoption here have their tongues kinda hanging out to the side.

I also notice Molly who is only 3 years young is starting to do this occasionally.

I am wondering if it is just age & muscle control or is it a symptom of something? Or am I just being nutty?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
My childhood bully, Richard lived to be 12 and never had the problem. Abby is 9 and she is fine. I am not sure why that is. I noticed it also.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Mr.Beefy sticks his tongue out when he sleeps but he has a pretty bad underbite.My neighbors bullie's tongue is always out and he has a very elongated underbite. I think it depends on their underbite and if the tongue can creep out of the space. I dont know if that make sense or not??

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am sorry I think you may have possibly misunderstood my question....

Here is a picture of Harley (who is available for adoption via Love-A-Bull Rescue in Phoenix)

See how his tongue is kinda floppy and to the side? This is what Molly has been doing sometimes lately that she NEVER did before.

Harley-3.jpg

There is many more that I have listed. I will see if I can dig some more up.

Last edited:

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
I've noticed that too, and have always wondered if it's an elderly bully thing, just the way some bully tongues are, or if it's caused by something. Hopefully someone has an answer!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Ok things i read....Some dogs always have their tongue hanging from their mouth because they have a poor bite. See if your dog can't hold his tongue in his mouth comfortably because of his bite. Some dogs tongues are too long. Some dogs teeth arent in th correct position to hold the tongue in or they are missing teeth.Commen in dogs with smushed faces.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The weird part is that yes, she may do this when she pants, but sometimes I see it when she is just hanging out. Not often, but since I have noticed it on the rescue listings I guess I notice it more?

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Mr.Beefy's tip of his tongue hangs out because his teeth in the front are very crooked and doesnt hold the tip in.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You know when you're in your teens and some things just seem real perky.
Then in your 20's they are "confident"
30's they are looking a little tired and droopy
40s ............ well the energy to just keep the perkiness and avoid the droopiness just isn't quite the same......
50's ........... who cares, let it just hang where gravity intended.
60's ............ how the hell did they get that long

Well girls ......... it might just be the same for bulldog tongues ........ :crazy:

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
you know when you're in your teens and some things just seem real perky.
Then in your 20's they are "confident"
30's they are looking a little tired and droopy
40s ............ Well the energy to just keep the perkiness and avoid the droopiness just isn't quite the same......
50's ........... Who cares, let it just hang where gravity intended.
60's ............ How the hell did they get that long

well girls ......... It might just be the same for bulldog tongues ........ :crazy:
omg i love this!!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.