Help Needed! Puppy Diarrhea!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Hi there! Bogey is doing well but he started yesterday with very soft stools, the last one was very runny. He ate dinner, and then never went poop before bed. He did fine all night long, and ate a good breakfast this morning. He went right out and started to pass formed stool, then it was very runny. He has gone 3 time this morning- very runny.
Here's what his food has been:
I have just switched him over to Fromms puppy (large breed). I took almost 2 weeks to do the switch from Eukanuba. His early am poops have been very formed, but his later in the day ones have been pretty soft. I am feeding him 1/2 cup 3 times a day. He was on 3/4 cup with the Eukanuba, but now that I am completely on Fromms, I cut him back because the stools have been soft. He gets pumpkin at 2 meals, and yogurt at one.
The only thing different yesterday was I did buy some new treats (peanut butter and pumpkin) and I gave him a braided bully stick ( I know to watch him like a hawk when he has it). He absolutely loved it. Do you think whatever they treaat them with could have caused this? It is REALLY stinky( the bully stick).
Will cut back on the treats today and only give green beans. Can I add some rice to his food? And how much pumpkin should I be giving.
Oh yeah, I did start him on Salmon oil yesterday too- about a 1/2 squirt in the morning. I did not give it today.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Mary

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Back to basics. Food only for a couple of days and see what that does. If he's firm, add things back one at a time. If not you may be feeding him too much or the wrong thing. I figure you're watching him closely for signs that something else is not right and will deal with that accordingly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few members with puppy experience.... been waaaaaayyyy too long for me

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor thing. How much salmon oil did you give him? Could be that it was just too much. Emma had a few bouts of the squirts. Here's was due to bacteria from lake water. If he has it more than 2 days take him to the vet. You don't want him to get dehydrated. Looks like he's had a lot of changes too, new food, new treats, new salmon oil the bully stick. That's just way too much newness for a puppy. Keep it simple with them, they have sensitive tummies.

Get rid of that braided bully stick too and/or any rawhide. They're so bad for bullies even if you're watching close. You know what they're made of right?

Keep us updated please and I hope he better today.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would cut out any extras (treats, oils, yogurt, ect) for now until things get solid. Once everything is normal, then being in each thing one at a time, at least 1 week apart to see what could be causing the soft stools.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All great advice above, so just sending my love and prayers that you're able to figure out what's causing the diarrhea, whether it be salmon oil, treats, or just a tummy bug of some sort. I hope Bogey feels better soon. Keep us posted

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with everyone else, throw the bully sticks away and no rawhides, cut out everything extra until his tummy gets better, then try one thing at a time.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If it were me, i would back off every thing, but the Fromm kibble and then just give 1 tablespoon of pumpkin at one meal. Bully sticks are so dangerous, I know they may love them, but they will also choke on them very easily. Only give treats once or twice a day, and just a small piece when training. [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION]

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree with others! Cut out all the treats and the bully stick. Give him kibble only and see how it goes for a little. It may be too much change at one time and its upsetting the tunmmy...Let us know how it goes

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey's diarrhea has completely resolved! He has had 3 very firm stools since yesterday. I cut out all new treats and oil. Will try the Salmon oil again in a couple of days. He is on Fromms puppy completely now. Thanks for all the advice. I am convinced it was the braided stick (which is in the trash now). I know they are bad, and he will have them no more!! Just love all the great input here!! :evilha: Thanks!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.