URGENT!!! need help ASAP!!! my Bullie has liver failure with no explanation why!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Urgent - my bullie has liver failure and noone knows why!!!

I have no experience.... but wnated to let you know I am sending hugs, prayers and positive thoughts to you and PePe

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman

no. he discharged my Bullie yesterday and left before I got to his office without an explanation. Just said come back in 3 days for more blood work. none of the so-called 'experts' have any idea what's wrong with him so I have to sit here and watch him get sicker and only hope he gets better.

Hmm, [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] might have some experience here.

I'm going to search around to see if I can find any ideas.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver

we have a member who just dealt with this. I know you have to be careful in the diet and foods. I hope she finds this soon and helps you out.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

no. he discharged my Bullie yesterday and left before I got to his office without an explanation. Just said come back in 3 days for more blood work. none of the so-called 'experts' have any idea what's wrong with him so I have to sit here and watch him get sicker and only hope he gets better.

do a search on a members profile called "Twice" follow all of her posts about her pup named Abby, she had liver failure, eventually it took her little life, but you will most definitely learn plenty about numbers in the blood and diet. Please do this soon

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]'s Abby had kidney failure- but she may know what to do on the liver too, she is so smart with nutrition and supplements

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
I had an english cocker that went in acute liver failure and the vets wanted to put her to sleep I took her home and started cooking the homemade LD diet and put her on milk thistle and a rejection drug and she lived another 8 yrs I cant remember what the drug was but it was only for a month and they give it to people who have had a liver transplant

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems and even sorrier that no one seems to be able to give you any answers. My girl had kidney failure but at times her liver had issues too (it's very common in kidney pups).

The only thing that I can suggest are a couple of supplements that helped Abby when her liver seemed to be headed for trouble. First, like @goobersmom said, milk thistle and then SAMe. They are great detoxifiers as are vitamins C and B.

There is an excellent over the counter vitamin supplement called Denamarin that will take the dosing guesswork out for you. Here is a description of it from the website that I ordered Abby's from...

Denamarin is a nutritional supplement used to improve your pet's liver function by increasing liver glutathione levels. Glutathione is the liver's major "detoxifying" agent. Denamarin contains SAMe, a potent antioxidant that also helps protect liver cells from cell death and may help cell repair and regeneration. Denamarin also has Silybin, the most active part of an extract from milk thistle, which acts as an antioxidant and stimulates the flow of bile through the liver to aid in the digestion and absorption of nutrients from your dog's diet. Silybin also helps with liver cell regeneration and may enhance levels of glutathione.

Denamarin combines 2 medications that support the liver- S-Adenosyl (SAMe) and Milk Thistle. This is a Nutramax product that is made up of their 2 popular liver products- Denosyl and Marin. Denamarin comes 2 forms- tablets and chewtabs. Denamarin tablets are available in 3 strengths- 90mg (cats and small dogs up to 12 pounds), 225mg (medium dogs 13 to 34 pounds), and 425mg (large dogs 35 pounds and over). Denamarin chewtabs are available in one strength- 225mg- that may be used for dogs of all sizes. Denamarin chewtabs come in 30ct
and 75ct bottles.

Check with your doctor before you order it but I can tell you that between this, another supplement from VetriScience called Vetri-Liver, Abby's liver function never went critical. I LOVE vetriscience products but have to tell you, if you order the Vetri-Liver it STINKS!!!

I hope and pray that your boy gets better. I've found that most vets are clueless beyond regular day to day care. But the liver is an organ that can heal itself so don't lose hope.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I dont have personal advice but my brothers Boston Terrier just went through something similiar. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] gave me some advice and food reccomendations and he is doing good now. They diagnosed him with pancreatitis (acute liver damage) and then b/c he was still vomitting after food change and meds they said it was something with his esophagas (sp?) his throat was inflammed (from vomitting so much) Now he has to hve a special homemade diet fed in small amounts 3-4 x a day if possible. With the new home cooking he is doing much better! I hope things get better for Pepe Hugs to you both!

OP
R

robmatliv

Dec 20, 2012
Orange County, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepe
thank you ALL form your well wishes and advice! and thank you @Twice for your response! Pepe is currently taking SAMe, Denamarin, Actigall, Clavamox and Pepcid AC. He is able to keep water done but doesn't want to eat hs Prescripton LD food. I am going to get some large syringes today and feed him the LD that way until he can eat on his own. I am going to buy some milk thistle today and try that as well.

on a brighter note, Pepe took a turn for the worse yesterday and I was losing hope. Then I cooked him a NY Strip steak (I know I'm not suppposed to give him fatty foods and I cut as much fat off as I could). He ate the ENTIRE thing like a champ, then chugged some water and passed out on me. I'm taking him back to the vet tomorrow for a blood exam so keep your paws crossed! I know he's not going to get better overnight and I'm trying to practice patience but these vet bills aren't getting any cheaper and the doctors this second time around want to do a biopsy but I'm not so sure that's the correct plan since it didn't help when they did one the first time he went down.

once again, thank you all!!!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
So sorry your bully's going through this. It's so heartbreaking to see them so miserable. I would try to give him a homemade diet instead of the prescription food. You'll get more nutrition that way, plus you can customize it to what he needs as well.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Shellie's can have liver shunts but they tend to swow up really early in life. My wife's grandfather had to feed his low protein food to help the liver out. I.e not a meat (steak) based based diet. Since it came and went and came back, my thought is something he ate or chewed on. Racking my brain to think of something in a normal house that would cause liver failure. I would think to Look at every plant in the house even if is up high. One small leaf/needle from some plants can cause a lot of damage. Hope you figure it out soon.
wishing You and Pepe the best.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope you baby gets better soon.

OP
R

robmatliv

Dec 20, 2012
Orange County, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepe
I'm not going to give him steak regularly but he needed to eat something. I will probably syringe feed him the Prescription LD from now on and mix in some homemade low protein/low fat foods that he wants to eat.

If anyone has any recommendations on what to give him, please let me know!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm not going to give him steak regularly but he needed to eat something. I will probably syringe feed him the Prescription LD from now on and mix in some homemade low protein/low fat foods that he wants to eat.

If anyone has any recommendations on what to give him, please let me know!

I wish I had something for you to go on, have you Google his condition, you might find lots of info out there in cyber space. That what I usually do when I want to know anything, than decide which option to go with

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online