URGENT!!! need help ASAP!!! my Bullie has liver failure with no explanation why!

robmatliv

Dec 20, 2012
Orange County, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepe
Here's the story...Back in March, my four year old EB (Pepe) came down with what was diagnosed as 'acute liver failure'. He was in the hospital for almost three weeks because of it and it was a terrible time for my best buddy and I! I suspect he developed something slowly over time and I didn't see the signs until too late. It all came to fruition when I noticed that he wasn't eating and was throwing up the water he drank. I had to go out of town the following day for work and left him with a (terrible) veterinary clinic under what they said would be 'medical supervision' but turned out to be 'leave him in the kennel and ignore him'. I suspected something was wrong with Pepe when I called and they told me the 2nd day he was there that he was 'doing great!' I headed straight for the clinic to get my Bullie and received a call from the vet along the way that my dog had a problem. When I arrived to pick him up, he was yellow (jaundice) and even sicker!! I rushed him to a veterinary hospital immediately where they put him on fluids and medicine and his condition deteriorated to the point where I thought I was going to have to put him to sleep. The hospital tried many culture tests, blood plasma, all kinds of medicine, eventually a biopsy (inconclusive)/surgery. During the biopsy, the surgeon and doctor observed his billirubin-covered organs and purged his gall bladder. During this whole ordeal, Pepe's bilirubin levels were throught the roof! After the surgery, Pepe slowly but surely (miraculously) recovered but the doctors at the vet hospital weren't able to diagnose the problem and chalked it up to Pepe being exposed to something toxic.

Ever since then, I have been on alert with Pepe. In September, I had a full blood scan done on him and all levels came back perfect!
Unfortunately, he is sick AGAIN!!!! the exact same symptoms (throwing up water, no appetite, high bilirubin count, jaundice) and I caught it earlier this time. I took him to a highly-recommended veterinary hospital yesterday. They discharged him today and gave me a bunch of medicine to give to my little guy but they STILL don't know what is wrong with him!!!
if you have ever had this problem or know someone who has had this problem, PLEASE write me back!!!!! My Pepe is VERY sick with no explanation why and I don't have endless funds to keep paying these vet hospitals because they aren't cheap! I really don't want to lose my best buddy!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am sorry to hear your best buddy keeps going through this. I have never heard of anything like it but I hope someone can guide you with some answers. I am going to see if [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] has any ideas.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Wow...I'm so so sorry that this is happening to poor Pepe. I don't have any idea about this either. Hopefully we can keep this towards the top and find someone who might have an idea!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Just wanted to say I will keep you & Pepe in my prayers for a dx of what is wrong
and it can be fixed. I'm so sorry you are going thru this worry & fear for your best
buddy. Please keep us informed.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh poor Pepe, and poor you too, I'm so sorry your going through this. I don't have any answers for you as to what would be causing this problem, but maybe someone has a similar experience and can give you some answers. It's unfortunate that the vets can't diagnose what is causing Pepes symptoms. I just want to send my love and prayers for you and Pepe, and I hope they can find what is making him sick, so they can treat him accordingly. I hope Pepe gets better soon, please keep us posted on his progress.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Didn't you say the vet said he may have ingested something toxic? If so, perhaps you are inadvertently giving him treats thst are toxic, like from CHINA. My skin husband has liver disease and there are many causes, many of which are not clear. If you guys are careful, it does not have to be a death sentence.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry. It must be so hard for you and Pepe. I have no experience, so I thought to investigate and this is something I found...

"A number of diseases, chemicals, drugs, and toxins can damage the liver. The liver is directly affected by infectious canine hepatitis and leptospirosis. It is frequently involved in heartworm infection, Cushing’s syndrome, and diabetes mellitus. Primary and metastatic tumors are a major cause of liver failure in dogs.

Chemicals known to produce liver toxicity include carbon tetrachloride, insecticides, and toxic amounts of lead, phosphorus, selenium, arsenic, and iron. Drugs capable of damaging the liver include anesthetic gases, antibiotics, antifungals, dewormers, diuretics, analgesics (including NSAIDs), anticonvulsants, testosterone preparations (Cheque drops), and corticosteroids. Most drug reactions are associated with excessive dosage and/or prolonged use.
Some plants and herbs can also cause liver failure; these include ragwort, certain mushrooms, and blue-green algae. Molds such as aflatoxin, which grows on corn and may contaminate foods, can cause severe liver damage.
A blockage of the bile duct by gallstones, liver flukes, tumors, or pancreatitis is uncommon, but becomes a consideration when a dog has unexplained jaundice."

Do you know if all these possibilities are checked?

OP
R

robmatliv

Dec 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepe
thank you all for your concern and thank you for doing some research RiiSi! unfortunately, the doctors have tested for everything (the first time) they could have and it's the same affliction a second time around. he's had culture tests, a biopsy, exploratory surgery, had his gall bladder purged...he's been through hell. the other problem is that if/when he does get better, then what? I still haven't found a doctor who can give me the exact reason why this is occurring. it's more like they throw a few medicines at it and hope for the best! ;-(

:confused:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What cought my eye was "Molds such as aflatoxin, which grows on corn". Corn is, unfortunately, used in a lot of dogfoods. Check what your feeding him. It wouldn't hurt to chance if there's corn...

OP
R

robmatliv

Dec 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepe
Urgent - my bullie has liver failure and noone knows why!!!

Here's the story...Back in March, my four year old EB (Pepe) came down with what was diagnosed as 'acute liver failure'. He was in the hospital for almost three weeks because of it and it was a terrible time for my best buddy and I! I suspect he developed something slowly over time and I didn't see the signs until too late. It all came to fruition when I noticed that he wasn't eating and was throwing up the water he drank. I had to go out of town the following day for work and left him with a (terrible) veterinary clinic under what they said would be 'medical supervision' but turned out to be 'leave him in the kennel and ignore him'. I suspected something was wrong with Pepe when I called and they told me the 2nd day he was there that he was 'doing great!' I headed straight for the clinic to get my Bullie and received a call from the vet along the way that my dog had a problem. When I arrived to pick him up, he was yellow (jaundice) and even sicker!! I rushed him to a veterinary hospital immediately where they put him on fluids and medicine and his condition deteriorated to the point where I thought I was going to have to put him to sleep. The hospital tried many culture tests, blood plasma, all kinds of medicine, eventually a biopsy (inconclusive)/surgery. During the biopsy, the surgeon and doctor observed his billirubin-covered organs and purged his gall bladder. During this whole ordeal, Pepe's bilirubin levels were throught the roof! After the surgery, Pepe slowly but surely (miraculously) recovered but the doctors at the vet hospital weren't able to diagnose the problem and chalked it up to Pepe being exposed to something toxic.

Ever since then, I have been on alert with Pepe. In September, I had a full blood scan done on him and all levels came back perfect!
Unfortunately, he is sick AGAIN!!!! the exact same symptoms (throwing up water, no appetite, high bilirubin count, jaundice) and I caught it earlier this time. I took him to a highly-recommended veterinary hospital yesterday. They discharged him today and gave me a bunch of medicine to give to my little guy but they STILL don't know what is wrong with him!!!

Pepe is an indoor Bullie, drinks bottled water, is always under supervision so he couldn't get into anything toxic and only eats quality food. If you have ever had this problem or know someone who has had this problem, PLEASE write me back!!!!! My Pepe is VERY sick with no explanation why, he's not getting better and I don't have endless funds to keep paying these vet hospitals because they aren't cheap! I really don't want to lose my best buddy!!!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Re: Urgent - my bullie has liver failure and noone knows why!!!

My gosh, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this!

I moved this to the Bulldog Health section so it gets more looks. I hope someone has a suggestion for you as to what it could be?

Has your vet ruled anything out yet?

Poor Pepe! :(

OP
R

robmatliv

Dec 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepe
Re: Urgent - my bullie has liver failure and noone knows why!!!

My gosh, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this!

I moved this to the Bulldog Health section so it gets more looks. I hope someone has a suggestion for you as to what it could be?

Has your vet ruled anything out yet?

Poor Pepe! :(

no. he discharged my Bullie yesterday and left before I got to his office without an explanation. Just said come back in 3 days for more blood work. none of the so-called 'experts' have any idea what's wrong with him so I have to sit here and watch him get sicker and only hope he gets better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.