Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: need help ASAP!!! my Bullie has liver failure with no explanation why!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepe
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: need help ASAP!!! my Bullie has liver failure with no explanation why!

thank you ALL form your well wishes and advice! and thank you @Twice for your response! Pepe is currently taking SAMe, Denamarin, Actigall, Clavamox and Pepcid AC. He is able to keep water done but doesn't want to eat hs Prescripton LD food. I am going to get some large syringes today and feed him the LD that way until he can eat on his own. I am going to buy some milk thistle today and try that as well.

on a brighter note, Pepe took a turn for the worse yesterday and I was losing hope. Then I cooked him a NY Strip steak (I know I'm not suppposed to give him fatty foods and I cut as much fat off as I could). He ate the ENTIRE thing like a champ, then chugged some water and passed out on me. I'm taking him back to the vet tomorrow for a blood exam so keep your paws crossed! I know he's not going to get better overnight and I'm trying to practice patience but these vet bills aren't getting any cheaper and the doctors this second time around want to do a biopsy but I'm not so sure that's the correct plan since it didn't help when they did one the first time he went down.

once again, thank you all!!!!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: need help ASAP!!! my Bullie has liver failure with no explanation why!

So sorry your bully's going through this. It's so heartbreaking to see them so miserable. I would try to give him a homemade diet instead of the prescription food. You'll get more nutrition that way, plus you can customize it to what he needs as well.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)

Shellie's can have liver shunts but they tend to swow up really early in life. My wife's grandfather had to feed his low protein food to help the liver out. I.e not a meat (steak) based based diet. Since it came and went and came back, my thought is something he ate or chewed on. Racking my brain to think of something in a normal house that would cause liver failure. I would think to Look at every plant in the house even if is up high. One small leaf/needle from some plants can cause a lot of damage. Hope you figure it out soon.
    wishing You and Pepe the best.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Hope you baby gets better soon.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepe
    Likes (Received)

I'm not going to give him steak regularly but he needed to eat something. I will probably syringe feed him the Prescription LD from now on and mix in some homemade low protein/low fat foods that he wants to eat.

If anyone has any recommendations on what to give him, please let me know!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robmatliv View Post
    I'm not going to give him steak regularly but he needed to eat something. I will probably syringe feed him the Prescription LD from now on and mix in some homemade low protein/low fat foods that he wants to eat.

If anyone has any recommendations on what to give him, please let me know!

I wish I had something for you to go on, have you Google his condition, you might find lots of info out there in cyber space. That what I usually do when I want to know anything, than decide which option to go with
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

What we did to reduce the fat in Winstons diet was we made ground beef/rice boiled added some veggies and such. See if that works You also can give him so green beans as a filler. @Twice can help you with a meal plan to get started
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

@[replacer_a]
    I tried to post an answer but not sure it got thru, there is a yahoo group you
    should join, robmatliv (so sorry if I broke any rules).

As you found out, Vets know nothing about liver troubles.

Feed him several small meals, very low protein and try a different source than meat.

Slippery Elm (at health stores) will sooth his throat & tummy. GOD bless y'all!
    Last edited by 2BullyMama; 12-30-2012 at 08:24 AM.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads