Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need help ASAP!!! my Bullie has liver failure with no explanation why!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepe
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Urgent - my bullie has liver failure and noone knows why!!!

Here's the story...Back in March, my four year old EB (Pepe) came down with what was diagnosed as 'acute liver failure'. He was in the hospital for almost three weeks because of it and it was a terrible time for my best buddy and I! I suspect he developed something slowly over time and I didn't see the signs until too late. It all came to fruition when I noticed that he wasn't eating and was throwing up the water he drank. I had to go out of town the following day for work and left him with a (terrible) veterinary clinic under what they said would be 'medical supervision' but turned out to be 'leave him in the kennel and ignore him'. I suspected something was wrong with Pepe when I called and they told me the 2nd day he was there that he was 'doing great!' I headed straight for the clinic to get my Bullie and received a call from the vet along the way that my dog had a problem. When I arrived to pick him up, he was yellow (jaundice) and even sicker!! I rushed him to a veterinary hospital immediately where they put him on fluids and medicine and his condition deteriorated to the point where I thought I was going to have to put him to sleep. The hospital tried many culture tests, blood plasma, all kinds of medicine, eventually a biopsy (inconclusive)/surgery. During the biopsy, the surgeon and doctor observed his billirubin-covered organs and purged his gall bladder. During this whole ordeal, Pepe's bilirubin levels were throught the roof! After the surgery, Pepe slowly but surely (miraculously) recovered but the doctors at the vet hospital weren't able to diagnose the problem and chalked it up to Pepe being exposed to something toxic.

Ever since then, I have been on alert with Pepe. In September, I had a full blood scan done on him and all levels came back perfect!
    Unfortunately, he is sick AGAIN!!!! the exact same symptoms (throwing up water, no appetite, high bilirubin count, jaundice) and I caught it earlier this time. I took him to a highly-recommended veterinary hospital yesterday. They discharged him today and gave me a bunch of medicine to give to my little guy but they STILL don't know what is wrong with him!!!

Pepe is an indoor Bullie, drinks bottled water, is always under supervision so he couldn't get into anything toxic and only eats quality food. If you have ever had this problem or know someone who has had this problem, PLEASE write me back!!!!! My Pepe is VERY sick with no explanation why, he's not getting better and I don't have endless funds to keep paying these vet hospitals because they aren't cheap! I really don't want to lose my best buddy!!!!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Urgent - my bullie has liver failure and noone knows why!!!

My gosh, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this!

I moved this to the Bulldog Health section so it gets more looks. I hope someone has a suggestion for you as to what it could be?

Has your vet ruled anything out yet?

Poor Pepe!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepe
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    My gosh, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this!

I moved this to the Bulldog Health section so it gets more looks. I hope someone has a suggestion for you as to what it could be?

Has your vet ruled anything out yet?

Poor Pepe!
    no. he discharged my Bullie yesterday and left before I got to his office without an explanation. Just said come back in 3 days for more blood work. none of the so-called 'experts' have any idea what's wrong with him so I have to sit here and watch him get sicker and only hope he gets better.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I have no experience.... but wnated to let you know I am sending hugs, prayers and positive thoughts to you and PePe
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robmatliv View Post
    no. he discharged my Bullie yesterday and left before I got to his office without an explanation. Just said come back in 3 days for more blood work. none of the so-called 'experts' have any idea what's wrong with him so I have to sit here and watch him get sicker and only hope he gets better.
    Hmm, @Twice might have some experience here.

I'm going to search around to see if I can find any ideas.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

we have a member who just dealt with this. I know you have to be careful in the diet and foods. I hope she finds this soon and helps you out.

Always with me

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: need help ASAP!!! my Bullie has liver failure with no explanation why!

I'm no help just wanted to send well wishes and bully kisses

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robmatliv View Post

do a search on a members profile called "Twice" follow all of her posts about her pup named Abby, she had liver failure, eventually it took her little life, but you will most definitely learn plenty about numbers in the blood and diet. Please do this soon
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: need help ASAP!!! my Bullie has liver failure with no explanation why!

@Twice's Abby had kidney failure- but she may know what to do on the liver too, she is so smart with nutrition and supplements

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Cindy
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Breezi, LAYLA& PANDA, Hammer, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
    Likes (Received)

I had an english cocker that went in acute liver failure and the vets wanted to put her to sleep I took her home and started cooking the homemade LD diet and put her on milk thistle and a rejection drug and she lived another 8 yrs I cant remember what the drug was but it was only for a month and they give it to people who have had a liver transplant

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems and even sorrier that no one seems to be able to give you any answers. My girl had kidney failure but at times her liver had issues too (it's very common in kidney pups).

The only thing that I can suggest are a couple of supplements that helped Abby when her liver seemed to be headed for trouble. First, like @goobersmom said, milk thistle and then SAMe. They are great detoxifiers as are vitamins C and B.

There is an excellent over the counter vitamin supplement called Denamarin that will take the dosing guesswork out for you. Here is a description of it from the website that I ordered Abby's from...

Denamarin is a nutritional supplement used to improve your pet's liver function by increasing liver glutathione levels. Glutathione is the liver's major "detoxifying" agent. Denamarin contains SAMe, a potent antioxidant that also helps protect liver cells from cell death and may help cell repair and regeneration. Denamarin also has Silybin, the most active part of an extract from milk thistle, which acts as an antioxidant and stimulates the flow of bile through the liver to aid in the digestion and absorption of nutrients from your dog's diet. Silybin also helps with liver cell regeneration and may enhance levels of glutathione.

Denamarin combines 2 medications that support the liver- S-Adenosyl (SAMe) and Milk Thistle. This is a Nutramax product that is made up of their 2 popular liver products- Denosyl and Marin. Denamarin comes 2 forms- tablets and chewtabs. Denamarin tablets are available in 3 strengths- 90mg (cats and small dogs up to 12 pounds), 225mg (medium dogs 13 to 34 pounds), and 425mg (large dogs 35 pounds and over). Denamarin chewtabs are available in one strength- 225mg- that may be used for dogs of all sizes. Denamarin chewtabs come in 30ct
    and 75ct bottles.

Check with your doctor before you order it but I can tell you that between this, another supplement from VetriScience called Vetri-Liver, Abby's liver function never went critical. I LOVE vetriscience products but have to tell you, if you order the Vetri-Liver it STINKS!!!

I hope and pray that your boy gets better. I've found that most vets are clueless beyond regular day to day care. But the liver is an organ that can heal itself so don't lose hope.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

I dont have personal advice but my brothers Boston Terrier just went through something similiar. @Twice gave me some advice and food reccomendations and he is doing good now. They diagnosed him with pancreatitis (acute liver damage) and then b/c he was still vomitting after food change and meds they said it was something with his esophagas (sp?) his throat was inflammed (from vomitting so much) Now he has to hve a special homemade diet fed in small amounts 3-4 x a day if possible. With the new home cooking he is doing much better! I hope things get better for Pepe Hugs to you both!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads