Help Needed! Vomiting

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
So I came home today to several ruined towels in Ellie's crate due to them being covered in vomit. Every bit of it was liquid and smelled like her kibble. She vomited again (same kind) while I was cleaning her crate about 15 minutes later. She also vomited a 3rd time around 3 hours after I got home and it was much less and appeared to be all water. Every time we have her out, she heads straight for the water and we've let her have water in moderation. We didn't feed her tonight and have limited her movement so that she can take things easy. Her :poo: seems fine and is still solid. Unfortunately, there's no emergency vet around here and all of the local ones were closed by the time we got her cleaned up. If she's still getting sick in the morning, it will be off to the vets, but is there anything that we need to look for or do in the meantime?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I would definitely keep an eye on her, and would not feed her, or give her anymore water, until you see the vet. She may have swallowed something without you knowing, and could have an obstruction. You don't want to give her anything if she has an obstruction. The signs for obstruction are diarrhea , vomiting , and drooling. My male Dozer swallowed a sock about a month ago, and we didn't know. The next day, he started in the morning with diarrhea , we cleaned him up, and then he threw up all over my lap. He threw up 3 more times, and in between he was drooling water from his mouth. We took him to the vet, and she took an X-ray , which showed a shadow in his intestine. She gave him IV fluids, a laxative, some pain meds, and send us home with some fibre food, that night he pooped out my Grandsons' sock. Hopefully if she swallowed something she will either throw it up, or pass it. Keep an eye on hr poop, and check it each time she goes to see if she passes anything. I hope it's nothing serious, and she feels better soon. If she is still the same in the morning take her to the vet. Keep us posted. Feel better Ellie.

this is the sock that Dozer pooped out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 124

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
This same thing happened to Otis last weekend. I called the vet and she just said to monitor him and give him some Pepto for the throwing up. It worked. He did lay around for a day and half but he was drinking so I didn't panic. Hopefully it is just a virus. Fingers Crossed!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I wouldn't withhold water from her, or food. because of dehydration. sometimes one of mine will throw up a yellow bile like vomit because of an empty stomach. hope she feels better til the morning.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
I just checked her most recent poop and it was a couple of smaller pieces which is occasionally normal for her, it was still solid and formed. So far, no drooling and no diarrhea, so that's a plus. We did cut her off on the water for the night only because she would try to guzzle it and we would have to stop her so that she could take a break and I'm ALWAYS worried about bloat. She's already had a good bit more than she normally helps herself to any other night. We're hoping that she either ate something that didn't agree with her or possibly ate too fast this morning. I'll probably call the vet in the morning even if she's clean when we wake up and hope that it's just an upset belly.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
DO NOT withhold water. she might be vomiting because she is hungry, sometimes when their tummies are empty and they will trow up bile. Let that baby drink water and keep water available 24/7. Some people think if they don't give water, it helps with potty training, that's a bunch of bull. They will learn to potty train as they get older. It could also just be a stomach bug and will be gone tomorrow. Try giving a little food and see how it goes.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Dehydration from vomiting so many times can make matters much worse so let her drink water. If she can eat a little banana mush that will help with the potassium loss. I know dogs can vomit because they are hungry so if she wants to eat a little something bland let her. Hope it is just a virus. Throwing up that many times is something to be concerned about for sure.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You've been given great advice by Davidh..don't hold back the water. Is she monitored or is it possible she could've eaten something? Jake has eaten so many things but it always took quite awhile to come up and out. One of the first things he ate were towels from his crate. Make sure and check all the binding and everything on her towels. Good luck and let us know.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
I ended up heeding the advice here and let Ellie drain the last of the water from her waterer about an hour and a half ago. I'd much rather have some wet towels than a dehydrated bully in the morning. She was VERY reluctant to budge from her crate just now for her final potty of the night, but that's usually the case if she's been napping in it prior to bedtime. After she went potty, I let her have some more water out of a plastic bowl (I had just thrown her waterer into the dish washer) and she "drank her fill" and actually stopped on her own to waddle back to her crate and lay down....leash and collar still attached. Hopefully she'll be dry and clean in the morning. She did make an attempt to chase one of the cats up the stairs when we came in from going potty, so that was great to see.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I ended up heeding the advice here and let Ellie drain the last of the water from her waterer about an hour and a half ago. I'd much rather have some wet towels than a dehydrated bully in the morning. She was VERY reluctant to budge from her crate just now for her final potty of the night, but that's usually the case if she's been napping in it prior to bedtime. After she went potty, I let her have some more water out of a plastic bowl (I had just thrown her waterer into the dish washer) and she "drank her fill" and actually stopped on her own to waddle back to her crate and lay down....leash and collar still attached. Hopefully she'll be dry and clean in the morning. She did make an attempt to chase one of the cats up the stairs when we came in from going potty, so that was great to see.

I hope it's just an upset tummy! Let us know how she seems tomorrow...

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope it's just an upset tummy! Let us know how she seems tomorrow...

Hopefully that's all it is. She better be better in the morning. The wife and I both took off of work to clean since Ellie was nice enough to let us host a Christmas party at the house tomorrow night.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
She woke us up around 2:30 this morning whimpering and she had just gotten sick. There in the middle of her spit up was a ball of string from where she had chewed on a towel that I had thrown out a few days ago. It was probably about as big as a quarter, or just slightly larger and about 4-6 quarters tall in height. Ever since that came up, the difference in her personality compared to last night has been night and day. She's not acting lethargic or like she doesn't feel well. I just fed her, but only gave her about half of what she normally gets for breakfast and will give her the other half in a couple of hours if she manages to keep this down. **Hopefully** that was all it was.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Most likely that is exactly what was making her sick. Good thing that it came out.
In most definedly agree with Davidh and others here with the water. Always have fresh water available, like in this case too I'm sure that with no water the piece would of just got stuck in her throat.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy that came out, yeah!!!! Now maybe she can get back to feeling well and to her playful self.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online