Help Needed! Hacking

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
My bulldog puppy, Rumble, who is 11 weeks old has been hacking like he is going to throw something up but then nothing ever comes up. We notice this most within the hour after he eats. Could this be related to him eating too fast? Is this something we need to worry about? What do I do to help him when he starts to hack? I try and get him to drink water but a lot of times it doesn't work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
If he is eating his food too fast, then that may be causing the hacking, or choking . My female Blossom tends to eat her food too fast. She usually inhales it. Lol. You can try using a slow feed bowl, or putting a tennis ball in his bowl to slow down his eating. Do you mix his kibble with warm water? This will make the food a little softer, plus it assures they get a little extra water , as my 2 don't always drink a lot of water.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You don't want them hacking for any reason. If he is inhaling his food..it is dangerous. It can lead to bloat and we have a member here who lost his Bully to bloat. Like mentioned above, you can use a slow feed bowl or wet the kibble. We use a pacer ball. A slow feed ball we found on amazon. If its not from eating, I would make sure his lungs are clear...and there are no signs of illness.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could be from eating too fast or from an elongated palete. Have your vet check him out.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would maybe have the vet check him and make sure nothing is going on and try to slow the eating down which is hard with bullies for sure.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.