Pad Injury Treatment

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
This isn't a "bulldog" question but I am sure the treatment is the same and might be helpful if a bulldog owner encountered a similar injury.

I was out hiking with my friend and his dog, a German Shepherd. At the end of the hike, we noticed she was walking with a limp in the front and, upon further inspection, noticed part of her pad was scratched up and a piece of the outer layer was torn off. It appeared to be extremely painful, as she snapped at us when we tried to look at it the first time.

So far, my friend has soaked the paw in Epsom salt and used Neosporin to treat it and put a clean sock over it. Is there anything else he should be doing or looking for? Also, is there any way to differentiate a scrap from a burn? It was much hotter than we anticipated and I am concerned the pad blistered and rubbed off.

The dog currently refuses to walk on it, unless, she absolutely has to, so any advice to speed healing or relieve the pain would be much appreciated.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would pour some hydrogen peroxide while the wound is open and fresh, and then apply more neosphorin. Poor thing.... sounds like it is painful :(

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
You can go to your local feed store and get cut and heal. We use to use it with our hunting dogs . It smells horrible and its purple but works wonders!!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Me too sorry I don't have any advice but I hope the paw gets better.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone! She's a 9 year old German Shepherd and we got lost while hiking so it was much more strenuous than I had intended and I feel terrible. She's not walking down the stairs yet but my friend got her the Cut and Heal and cleaned it up with peroxide and says things are looking better. Poor girl.

Here's a pic of her on a hike...she loves going but I think we might have to stick to the easier ones!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would pour some hydrogen peroxide while the wound is open and fresh, and then apply more neosphorin. Poor thing.... sounds like it is painful :(

Ditto .... hydrogen peroxide and neosphorin. If it is sore and painful then it's going to be hot and the dog is going to refuse to walk on it. Dogs are smart ... she's not going to put any weight on the foot or put it down until it stops hurting. That's good because she's going to reduce the risk of infection if she had if she continued to walk on it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.