OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
[MENTION=4663]Maife[/MENTION] he is coughing when he wakes up or he gets excited. I am hoping for kennel cough, but butler has no exposure to other dogs, so I don't know how he could catch it. Keep me updated on your baby.

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
@Maife he is coughing when he wakes up or he gets excited. I am hoping for kennel cough, but butler has no exposure to other dogs, so I don't know how he could catch it. Keep me updated on your baby.

I am almost completely sure it is a mild strain of kennel cough. Ulysses has had kennel cough twice in his life and it was terrible, now the cough it's exactly the same but I guess his immune system it's now stronger and the other symptoms such as lack of appetite, high fever and excessive mucus production are somehow kept in line. He coughs really hard in the morning after waking up, I guess the phlegm builds up during the night and then he gotta cough it out. He also doesn't have any contact with other dogs, but you know? this is just like human influenza, and it's in the air so if you're unlucky he'll get in contact with it :( and this is the season for it :( I remember last year the vet told me that the infection also spreads through contaminated surfaces, and there it can survive for days after exposure with a sick dog. So if Butler is anyhow like Ulysses, who licks and sniffs everything on his way, there you go. I might take him to the vet tomorrow just to make sure, although being the season I'm scared there his gonna get in contact with even more sick dogs, just like happened to us last year, but at the same time the holidays are coming up and I don't want to spend X-mas knowing my baby feels sick. I'll keep an eye on him tonight and tomorrow and I guess it'll be a last minute decision. For the moment I'm giving him water with drops of lemon and honey for his throat, that has helped him wonders the last two times. If he doesn't wanna drink it you can use a syringe and just push it in. It's for his own good and it'll make him feel better. Keeping them hydrated it's crucial. Also, using a humidifier it's great. Or putting him in the bathroom while you take a hot shower (it'll have a similar effect). For the moment Ulysses is eating just fine and drinking, but if he gets food and water cranky I'll make him a chicken and potato soup and he can never say no to that. It'll keep him hydrated and with food in his tummy. I hope your baby feels better soon. I know how scary the cough can be. Very important it's also to not cause them any stress, lots of sleeping and relaxation will do the trick. Keep me posted!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] did you decide to take him to the vets?

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
I was going to, but I called and he asked me a bunch of questions: how is his temperament, appetite, drinking, temperature, poops, any eye goop, nasal discharge, etc. I played the cough for him. He only coughed once this morning right when I woke him up to potty and it wasn't near as forceful and the single episode was only 4 coughs. The vet said it really sounds like mild kennel cough and to just keep him hydrated and watch him. If it has gotten significantly better in a day then he didn't want us to waste a trip to the vet. He said it should work itself out if his system and if not, then he'll make sure he makes room for us Friday or Saturday before the holiday. :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Phew .. that is such great news!!!! :jumpdance:

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Yeah! So relieved. Thank you for worrying too :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.