General Question Coughing?!

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Hi every bully! Butler has been "coughing" he hasn't done this before except for a couple times to dislodge some phlegm. He is coughing a lot and it makes him spit up. He threw up last night's dinner this morning, and he's been throwing up white foam that is sometimes more mucus laden than others. He's hungry-but I'm not feeding him cause I can tell his throat is irritated from all the coughing and stuff. He won't eat ice cubes and he hasn't had any water all morning besides a couple eyedroppers full that I forced him to take. Have you experienced anything similar? I can't attach a video from my phone so it may be hard to understand me.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Perhaps he is having an allergic reaction to something that is making him cough, are his eyes really red too? If you are worried about the lack of hydration maybe you could give him some food with water in it?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have only experienced coughing twice with my bullies.

Firstly, it was Maggie and it turned out that she had aspirated on some food and had pneumonia

The second was kennel cough that Bella caught when she was at the vets to be spayed.

Hopefully, it is going to be none of these two!! :pray:

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Oh jeez! I hope it's not those either. He hasn't been to the vet or even had exposure to other dogs. He hasn't eaten anything out of the ordinary (that I'm aware of) he never goes outside except to potty and he is supervised the whole time. His temperature is fine. His eyes and gums and tongue are all normal in color. The weather changed pretty drastically here this last week, I'm praying its just a doggy cold? He hasn't coughed in about an hour now, so I'll continue to watch him closely. Poor baby. I wish it were me that was sick.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
If it doesn't clear up fast it's time for a trip to the vet. If he has a cold or worse, treatment is needed. These guys can't breath as is.

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
have you tried a flavored popsicle or ice cubes made with pedialite (sp) to keep him hydrated? Hope its something that passes quickly.

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
I'm freezing some veggie stock cubes. It's a really dry cough too (besides the occasional mucus)-I didn't mention that before.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Is the cough almost a " honking" noise?

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Kind of? It's dry and loud. I messages you my cell, if you want to hear it ill send it to you. I'd appreciate your insight :)

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
I just listened to my video again and it does sound like the honking. quacking almost and reminds me of duck calls.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If he is still coughing by tomorrow I'd take him to the vet.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Oh wow [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION], I just watched your video on FB, In my opinion, I would definately take Butler to the vet, that cough does not sound good.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I haven't had any experience with coughs in dogs, but just wanted to send wishes that its nothing serious, and hoping that Butler gets better soon, and it's nothing serious. Are you sure he didn't swallowed something you don't know about, and maybe a piece is stuck? A trip to the vet is definetely a good idea if it doesn't clear up. Good luck, hopeceverythwingbis okay . Keep us posted.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I text you for the video

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Oh Woww I was going to write a very similar post when I found this one. Ulysses has been having an occasional cough (mostly during his morning potty walk) for the past 3 days. It began on tuesday morning, yesterday nothing and today again. It sound exactly like a honk and when something comes out its white phlegm. I thought it was a normal cold, but now I'm a little concerned. He is eating fine and seems normal, but when he coughs it's pretty bad. I'm giving him water with drops of lemon and honey. That helped him last year when he had the kennel cough.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online