Help Needed! What is this?

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Hey everyone, so Nihya has had some scabby looking things under her chin for about a week now. Its not really puss but almost like scabs. I don't ever recall her having this before and I dont know what it is or how she got it. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355898522130.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355898522130.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 181

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Hey everyone, so Nihya has had some scabby looking things under her chin for about a week now. Its not really puss but almost like scabs. I don't ever recall her having this before and I dont know what it is or how she got it. Any ideas?

Looks like acne (to my untrained eye). Could be something as simple as her bowls/bedding etc. needing to be washed or she could've gotten into something gross while outside. Wash her stuff, wash her face. I use a little hydrogen peroxide on a cotton pad on Chance wherever he has acne to kill bacteria (after a normal face wiping w/ baby wipes or a warm washcloth). I try not to cover it up with too much gunk but if it was bleeding I might use a bit of polysporin on it. Otherwise, after the hydrogen peroxide I just let it heal naturally.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
When Wilbur gets an eruption like this, it is always related to his food. I have discovered that he is allergic to many things...corn wheat, soy, chicken, beef, salmon and I am still trying to figure it out. He is even on antibiotics at the moment because his chin got out of control. This started once he reached adulthood, he was fine as a puppy.

If it doesn't really clear up, you may be dealing with food allergies ....

good luck and keep us posted ! :)

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
I had changed Nihyas food to Iams Ocean Fish from chicken as she was having some allergy issues prior to breeding. She was doing great on Ocean Fish, but now that she's had puppies, i had to switch her over to puppy formula so I have her on Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy formula. Im almost certain it's the food. I looked around for a fish type of puppy food but i wasn't able to find any. Do you guys have any ideas of good puppy formula i can switch to?

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] will be able to give advise on a food for her whilst she is needing the extra calories xx

Sounds like she's definitely allergic to chicken though x

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
There are a couple of threads regarding bulldog nutrition and dog food ratings. The foods you have been using are rated quite low. I would suggest going to grain free food. You are probably thinking that can get expensive. The food is but it's less than the vet bills. Fromms is probably the most popular brand used by folks who frequent this site. I use Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream with good success on food allergies. They have a puppy formula of it as well.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/english-bulldog-nutrition/

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I had changed Nihyas food to Iams Ocean Fish from chicken as she was having some allergy issues prior to breeding. She was doing great on Ocean Fish, but now that she's had puppies, i had to switch her over to puppy formula so I have her on Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy formula. Im almost certain it's the food. I looked around for a fish type of puppy food but i wasn't able to find any. Do you guys have any ideas of good puppy formula i can switch to?

There's your problem right there! Neither of those brands are good nutrition and both have several ingredients that most bullies react to.
Only the puppies need to eat the puppy formula, Nihyas should be on adult formula food and probably a vitamin supplement such as NuVet.

Most certainly start all with a grain free formula and since the puppies may be allergic to poultry and sometimes fish, start with beef.

Fromm makes great food, adult & puppies and NIV (Natural Ingredient Variety)...I've had great success w/Avoderm's Grain Free, Red
Meat Meal w/Potato...some bullies can get yeasty w/potatoes so watch for this. Avoderm makes a Salmon formula, my bully is allergic
to this.

Transition the ratio of old to new food SLOWLY, once totally switched over it could take a month or so for all the former food to completely
clear their system so give any new food 1-2 months after switching before deciding if it's working well for them. You must be patient.

Good luck, changing to better food now will save you horrors and vet visits in the future and give you, healthier, happier bullies!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH.... I will agree with others that the food is your culprit and wish you luck in finding the right one for her.

Keep us posted

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
I was looking into Taste of the Wild and I will be switching this week. The only reason i switched Nihya over was because of her puppies. I also noticed Nihya have more "discharge" in her ears. I'm assuming this is yeast and all because of the food. Her face looks a bit more red/pink and I'm thinking its due to allergies.

Should i switch the puppies over to different food or leave them on puppy Pro Plan for now?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We feed Bacon Fromm and it's been great, we used TOTW for awhile but his stool was a little loose and he developed a taste for it as well. I'm sure someone with breeding experience will be here shortly to give you advice about the puppies. How old are the puppies?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Get her and you pups on a good food. We put our pups on FROMM Puppy Gold. That's most of your problem is the food. Plus if you are not using this already, feed them out of stainless steel bowls and not plastic. keep the underside of her mouth clean and dry and this should go away soon.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Get her and you pups on a good food. We put our pups on FROMM Puppy Gold. That's most of your problem is the food. Plus if you are not using this already, feed them out of stainless steel bowls and not plastic. keep the underside of her mouth clean and dry and this should go away soon.

Yes...no plastic bowls...only stainless steel, glass or ceramic (sealed) and keep them very clean, both eating & drinking bowls.

When I had multiple dogs, I would look for garage sales and would buy large, stainless steel pots (not with the non stick inside) or
​glass bowls...cheaper than the pet stores especially if you need the large ones for adult dogs :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I was looking into Taste of the Wild and I will be switching this week. The only reason i switched Nihya over was because of her puppies. I also noticed Nihya have more "discharge" in her ears. I'm assuming this is yeast and all because of the food. Her face looks a bit more red/pink and I'm thinking its due to allergies.

Should i switch the puppies over to different food or leave them on puppy Pro Plan for now?

You have gotten some great advise, so I don't have anything to add. Just checking in. :2thumbs:

mjowanna

Dec 19, 2012
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brittany(2008-2016); Angelica
First of all, I personally would not feed any of the food you are using to any pet. It's certainly not a 5 or 6 star rated food. if you can buy it in a grocery store, then it is not 5 or 6 star food. Try a high grade, high quality food that actually has real meat as a FIRST ingredient. Merrick. Orijen. Fromm. Next, chin acne is caused from pores being blocked and becoming infected. It's just like human acne. Are you feeding your dog wet food, food with gravy, or any type of topping other than dry kibble? If so, do you wash off the dog's chin after every meal? If not, you need to. Anyone with a dirty and greasy face is going to get infected zits. Try to keep the area clean and dry - especially after every meal.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.