Help Needed! Red Bumps on Winston's Chin!!

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello,

A few weeks ago my pup developed some bumps on his chin. I started treating it with polysporin but its not going away. It seems more red today than it has been and there is no fur were his skin is irritated - skin looks a little shiny too. I dont think it is itchy - he hasnt been rubbing his face or anything. He only eats and drinks out of stainless steel bowls and we wipe his face when he is done drinking.
Could this be acne? If it is, will he be left with a scar once it heals? Any thoughts on what this could be or how I can treat it...or if I should go to the vet?

Thanks!

IMG_20121217_171755.jpg

RedmondLiving

Jul 8, 2012
Redmond WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Just took Bella to the Vet last week w/this problem (and feet licking). Vet asked if I used PLASTIC BOWLS for food/water. I said yes - she said STOP. The chin "bumps" are a reaction to the chemicals in the plastic. She said use stainless steel bowls. Bella has been using the same 3 plastic bowls for 4 years & I rotate them through the dishwasher. Of all the things I "thought" might be the cause of her "chin bumbs" - the bowls would have been at the bottom of the list.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes...acne. not sure if it leaves scars or not....

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's acne. I remember when Wilson got his first one on his chin. I wasn't sure what the heck it was. Well his actually turned out to be an ingrown hair. I popped it and that was that. It healed and he's only got once since. Emma's just got her first two, one on her chin and one on her flubber. The chin one is healed and the flubber one I just squeezed and it pussed out. It's healing now.

Wilson's was pretty big but it did not leave a scar. It was shiney for quite awhile though.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka gets some bad acne at times too. It's not just the bowl material that can cause this. They always rest their chin on everything and on the dirty ground. You can also make sure to keep toys clean or any other area they rest their chin/mouth that might have bacteria. You can use douxo pads on the acne or I have even heard you can use a mild stridex wipe if it's alcohol free with aloe. I usually use the douxo pads on Tonka and if he has a bad spot of acne I put neosporin on it. It will go away eventually and shouldn't scar. :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus used to get this as a puppy! We switched to stainless steel bowls, I clean them at least 2-3 x a day with scolding hot water. When he had them I used noxema pads to clean (self drying) and then I would apply animax within 2-3 days they were gone. At times one may pop up if I dont stay on top of the water bowl :blink: lol

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Wilbur has this too... we use stainless bowls but his get so nightmarish we need antibiotics. My vet says it is all food-allergy related, it is how he manifests his allergies (along with raw raw skin folds). That is why I have been on such a food roller coaster.
They burst and bleed and clear up on antibiotics and new food, but always at the 8-10 week mark on the new food it develops again.

I hope this is just an isolated incident for Winston!!!!

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Rook used to get horrible chin acne, and I tried everything to prevent it - Stainless steel bowls, various ointments, and following him around 24/7 with a towel to try to keep that chin clean and dry. This went on for months, and nothing seemed to help. He always had a scabby chin that would bust open and bleed because he rubs his chin on EVERYTHING. I finally bought one of those Lixit water bottles so that he wouldn't have to dunk his entire face in his water bowl to drink. It works wonderfully!

Rook is a bit OCD about licking things, so this has curbed his habit of randomly licking things around the house, because now he can lick something AND drink water. He is an excellent multitasker. :)

I don't know if Winston's chin acne is as bad as Rook's was, but this worked really well for us. Plus it has the added bonus of no longer having to mop up the waterfall of excess water streaming from his jowls after a drink from the water bowl. It has been a win-win for everyone!

Here is our set up:
water.jpg water2.jpg

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
No they don't leave scars :) I always pop Porkys n believe it or not her vet popped one at her appointment Saturday!!!!! I was told they get them more frequently as puppies which seems to be true for us anyways porky always had one or two until recently anyways n she'll be 10 months old the 22nd n has only had one in about 4 months :)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
It's just acne, but they will pop and bleed so don't be alarmed when that happens. Bacon had horrendous acne as a puppy but grew out of it. We tried everything to clear it up with no success but he just ended up growing out of it.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola gets them and I use malacetic otic on a make up pad and rub some on it also witch hazel with shrink it down.

Members online

No members online now.