URGENT!!! Diarrhea, now bland diet, how long til poop's normal?

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
We have had Toby (7 1/2 mths old) on Fromm Four Star for 2-3 months now. I decided to change him (and the other dogs) to something more readily available from a local store. I chose Merrick since it was rated high and is at our local petco if we need a bag that day (we normally order online). We started the transition with less than 1/4 Merrick BG Salmon 3/4 Fromm. We were doing it slowly (only got to about 50/50 mix) but I think it wasn't consistent since sometimes my wife would feed them and not know how much to give of each (just a guess though). Now he has diarrhea. I have been so busy lately I haven't been watching (and all the leaves) to know he had diarrhea for 2-3 days. I put him on rice and beef bland diet with a little bit of pumpkin (don't know for sure what ratio so I am using 2 cups uncooked rice to 1 cup ground 90+% beef boiled and a tablespoon of pumpkin). He has been on this since Saturday night but he still has diarrhea although it seems less. How long does this last? When should I expect to see solid (or more solid) pooh before I am concerned?

Additionally during the switch they all ate the food (we also mix yogurt and Nupro in it) but now Katy (our shih-tzu) won't eat the Merrick at all. I have a small amount of Fromm left and she eats that.

Thanks,

Randy

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I usually see results on the bland diet within 36 hours but I don't give them much meat in the bland diet; I usually only give them the rice with a limited amount of meat just for flavor and I also give them a pepto bismol tablet to help their stomach. My Dane gets diarrhea if I change anything in her diet and when I give her the bland plus the pepto tablet I can usually turn her around in 24 hours. Maybe instead of the beef put an egg in the rice and plus up the pumpkin just a bit more, not much more because it too is fiber. Good luck.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
I had a similar problem w/ Brutus last week. We aren't sure what have him diarrhea (the vet guessed either bacterial or peanut butter that I gave him in his kong) Either way, we cut back his kibble, added rice to his food with pumpkin. Our vet recomended we stay with only this bland diet for at least 7 days. Brutus isn't 100% back to where he was, but we are getting there. Good luck, diarrhea is no fun

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You cook the rice..anyway..I have always cooked the rice. Has he had salmon before? Jake had an immediate reaction to salmon. I had to take him off and return to his previous food. The pumpkin usually helps right away. I hope you can get him feeling better..:(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He could be having a problem with an ingredient in the new food.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would cut back on the rice and beef perhaps and yes more rice than beef with the pumpkin. he should start getting better with in a few days. all of the merrick before grain foods have turkey and chicken in them also. not sure which fromm you were feeding but id go back to that after he feels better.

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
I noticed today his poop is some solid some soft so he is getting back as far as that is concerned but just noticed tonight blood coming out of his rear. I wouldn't say a lot but there are stains on the carpet in multiple spots where he was moving around trying to check it out. I noticed yesterday that it looked raw so it would make a little sense that it is bleeding but just wanted to know if this is normal.

He had salmon/beef fritta/chicken a la veg/whitefish fromm before and was last on whitefish fromm so I doubt it is either of those ingredients but maybe it is something in there or just the switch. Of the first ingredients Turkey and maybe some of the herbs seems like the only thing he hasn't had before. I have rosemary out in my flower bed so I am certain he has had that before.

I do cook the rice, was just giving the measurements that I put in the water to boil. I don't know the ratio after it is cooked.

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Just found out he had Salmon Tunalini from fromm. It was a small bag so I assume he was on it a week or two but he has been on this new food less than that.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well the diarrhea could have irritated his booty. maybe try some hydrocortisone on it or desitin i think someone once said. id monitor the blood and if it continues might want to let a vet check him. his stool should improve more and more. then maybe put him back on whatever food he was eating before. these dogs can be very sensitive to even the slightest things ive learned. he looks so cute :2thumbs:

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Thanks for the tips! No blood today, haven't found where he pooped yet today either so I will post an update later.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Others have given good advice that I echo:
brown rice cooked: per 1 c of brown rice, 2 tbs plain yogurt, 1/4 c cooked drained 80/20 beef and 1/4 c pumpkin (NOT PIE FILLING !!!)

My experience has been 24 hours for start to change, another 48 more pudding texture, 24 more for normal.
Once they reach the 48 hour mark I start to mix the regular kibble back in with this diet and continue till better.

Good Day~
ABEBD

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
He just went and I noticed it has an oatmeal consistency. I have noticed a few of these around the yard and they do seem to be getting thicker. The one from this morning is mounded. The others are flat trails of pooh which tells me they were more watery. I guess according to ABEBD this is still in the time frame of recovery. I need to take him in to get him fixed anyway so I likely will take him in for a visit in the next day or so regardless.

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
I found this morning that Toby coughed up about a 4 inch a hairball with pieces of bark and fuzz from a stuffed animal. The diameter was about the size of his normal poop about an inch I would guess. Does this sound like what could have caused his diarrhea? He still had diarrhea yesterday (oatmeal consistency).

Thanks,

Randy

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
He has now had regular pooh for the last 2 days so it seems the hairball was the biggest problem. He now seems to want to lick/itch is butt so I don't know if that is because it is irritated a little still and the more solid pooh is bugging him or if there is another issue. Any ideas? It is sad that he can't reach.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi Randy! Glad things are getting better. That behavior sounds like either the anal glands need to be expressed,he has an irritated booty, or maybe a tail pocket issue. Have you checked to see if he has a tail pocket?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online