Help Needed! New member, lots of concerns about my dogs health

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hello ... sorry I'm a bit late getting to this thread!!! :blush2:

I can't add too much to what has already been said about the foods!! I know that it's difficult for our members who are not in the USA because a lot of the food we list as the best for the bullies are just not available to them. I think that if I were faced with this problem and the answer was raw or home-cooked that I would opt for the home-cooked. That's my personal choice however. I know that alot of people who have opted for the home cooked route have actually said that it is cheaper than buying the high quality foods that are recommended. There are enough people on here for you to be able to get some ideas and good recipes!! A food change is certainly needed though .. it does sound like a classic case of food allergies!!

My foster bully, Bella, just had cherry eye surgery. Both of her eyes had cherry eye and both were tacked. One was very small, but the other was quite large and had obviously been out for some time. The smaller one stayed in and has been no trouble at all. The second one popped out again within 3 days. I think there is a difference between being swollen and red looking ... and the cherry eye actually out again. So you would need to decide which of these it is for your Bowser.

We have spoken to the vet about it, and in her professional opinion the cherry eye will pop out again if we have the same surgery done. She recommends that we have the cherry eye removed. We don't like the idea of having her put under again but from what I've read if it comes out once then it will continue to come out. So that is what we have opted to have done ... probably after the New Year now!

At the moment we are back on the drops that we had her on before the surgery. Every time she sleeps and wakes up the eye looks a bit gungy so we have to clean it up. The drops are basically human eye drops for severe dry eye. I get mine from Walmart and they are called "Genteal" but I'm sure you have the equivalent there.

Hope that helps a bit ....... if you have any questions then just yell at me ...... that way I might get here a bit faster next time!! :tongue:

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
It must be so hard for you having such limited access to good Bully vets and healthy food choices. When i got my Bully the breeder made me promise to never give Miss Tallulah food with corn, wheat or soy products as Bullies are almost always just too sensitive to these and will have allergic reactions. She also seems to have a bad reaction to chicken. It sounds like home cooked is best for you right now. Lots of good advice. I had to cook every day for 17 years for my last dog. She was born with colitis and would have been put down cause she had continuous diarrhea. She responded well to beef and lamb, mixed with veggies and rice or potato. Plus a vitamin supplement, pro biotic yogurt, eggs, cheese treats apples and banana. Dogs are omnivores and need meat and some veggies. What silly person ever would say dogs are allergic to protein!!!!It would be funny if it wasn't such a serious matter for you right now. Good luck and hang in there. There are so many wise and experienced wonderful people here - so you know you are never alone.

OP
disturbedmuffin

disturbedmuffin

Dec 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
so to all the advice i got the other day, i went to the vet to check if there was any bigger problem Bowser's eye, they did the dye test and there was no ulcer, but the vet was worried about how inflamed his inner eyelid was/is, hes been keeping it all squinty so i really haven't been able to see, when applying eye drops I've been extra careful about how much pressure i use to open his eye, but the vet opened it enough to get a good look, and it really doesn't look good. it is so swollen and inflamed! he opened the other good eye to show me what it should look like, and there is a major difference. You should have heard Bowser's cries when he applied pressure on the bad eye, and he cried even more when the special dye was put in to check for ulcers, i almost cried with him. I can tell it is hurting him so much, i rly cant handle watching my dog be in pain. i was given another eye drop that has cortisone in it, i have to apply it every 2 hours, if by Friday it doesn't improve by 30 to 40%, Saturday morning they are just going to remove it (the cherry part). the cherry actually hasn't popped out or anything, its just the inner eye lid is worryingly swollen. i just don't want to put him under again if i can avoid it.

and i wish i could get a second opinion but i really don't know who i can trust. Im still looking and asking around. This is what you get living in a developing country that still lacks basic human rights, you can forget animal rights or proper care.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy had the cherry eye surgery done like your and it took her a long time for her eye to start to look better. To be honest with you I still think that her eyes look droopy and it has been over a month that she had the procedure. The first 10 days her lower lid was red and swollen and looked worse than when she had the cherry eye.. so I guess the healing process can be long.

OP
disturbedmuffin

disturbedmuffin

Dec 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
what did your vet say about it taking that long for it to heal?

Most Reactions