Help Needed! Skin Allergies? First time owner questions

LetsGoMets

Dec 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dutch
Hi all, My wife and I just adopted a 6 yr old English Bulldog named Dutch. This is our first bulldog and being so we have a lot to learn. I'm lucky enough to have been able to get to know the previous owner so I know a lot about Dutch's history. My main concern right now is his constant scratching from what I believe is caused by skin allergies. He's scratching at his face, rubbing his face folds on the rug and stairs, licking and chewing his paws, scratching his belly with his hind legs and dragging his butt on the floor. He goes at it and often times it ends in bleeding. Just tonight he made his face wrinkles bleed from rubbing them on our stairs and this morning I woke to him dragging his bloody butt across our bedroom floor. He has eye gunk that forms throughout the day and in the morning when he's sleeping. His ears were also bad and I was given a tube of Animax in case they flare up again, but I think that's most likely a separate issue.

We've only had him a few days and I'm trying my best to read through everything on here to get this fixed as quickly as possible. I'm giving him 1 Zyrtec in the morning then at night a couple Benadryl (he's 60 lbs). This was recommended by the previous owner who said he would occasionally give him Benadryl. I'm also cleaning his face folds and rear with baby wipes. He was and still is being fed Natural Choice Sensitive Skin and Stomach Adult Venison Meal and Whole Brown Rice Formula Dry Dog Food. From what I've read so far on here it appears it could be an allergy to the food. The previous owner just brought Dutch to the vet on Saturday before I picked him up and was given antibiotics for him for the next 2 weeks. I'd really love to hear everyone's opinions as far as if it sounds like it could be the food or if you think its something else. Also, should I wait until the antibiotics are done before changing the food? Dutch has had these issues for a long time so I know it's not change in environment or due to a new food. He had the skin problems before we brought him to our house and haven't changed his diet yet.

Sorry for the long post and I thank you all in advance for your insights and help.

- Tony

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
the food is the best place to start. Try a grain free food. Many folks here like Fromms and there are lots of other brands as well. There's a whole section of discussions regarding Bully Nutrition and food choices.I"ve used Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream with great success for a bully who was allergic topretty much everything resembling grasses, grains and herbs. Good luck and remember to change foods slowly and that it takes at least a month for a food change to show full effects

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I also suggested Grain Free foods - when you do a change, make it 75% old food to 25% new, then 50-50 then 25-75 over a period of time, we usually do a change over a 10 -14 days (or so) period. If you do it too fast, you'll definitely know due to tummy issues and :poo: issues.

They could be Yeast issues too (which can be food related)

1 part Apple Cider Vinegar
1 part hydrogen Peroxide
2-3 parts water

You can use this solution for a soak (like their paws) and wipe his folds -

The ACV kills the yeast, and Peroxide helps with any cuts and scrapes

Some folks add ACV to their drinking water. (I dont)

Good luck, and keep posting :) we'll help as much as we can :) :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
you've been given great advice above, the one thing I wanted to add was about the scooting across the floor, does Dutch have a tight tail pocket? if he does it may need to be cleaned, really well to start then just add it to his regular grooming routine to avoid problems.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In this case when the poor baby is so badly itching I would chance his diet quicker. Start with bland diet and gradually add some grain grain free kibble in to that. When allergies are that bad home cooking or raw food could be the best choices. That is the only way you really know that you're feeding.

L

Lucy-licious

In this case when the poor baby is so badly itching I would chance his diet quicker. Start with bland diet and gradually add some grain grain free kibble in to that. When allergies are that bad home cooking or raw food could be the best choices. That is the only way you really know that you're feeding.

I totally agree with this suggestion...I have always taken Billy back to home cooked food and allowed his reaction to clear up before trying a new food. It's a way to be sure that any outbreaks during the switch are caused by the new food and not lingering reactions to the old one x

OP
LetsGoMets

LetsGoMets

Dec 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dutch
Thanks guys, this is some really good advice. I never thought about switching him over to a bland diet (never even heard of that before).
Can I start that immediately or should I phase it in?
It looks like it could consist of white rice and boiled chicken breast. Or maybe frozen vegetables instead of the rice. Would the rice be bad for him though since so many people on here say they keep their dog on a grain free diet?
If it is a food allergy how long should I expect it to take to clear up?

RaRett, with the ACV solution, I can make enough so he stands in it in the tub, as far as rubbing him down with it, should i leave it on him or rinse it off with water. If rinsing off how long should i leave it on him first? He has a strong "old dog" smell to him. I'm not sure what causes that but figured it was all part of his skin condition.

Bulldogs4me, He does have a tight tail pocket. I've been using baby wipes on him every time he goes to the bathroom to clean him up. His stool has been soft ever since we got him so he makes quite a mess. Any other suggestions?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Thanks guys, this is some really good advice. I never thought about switching him over to a bland diet (never even heard of that before).
It looks like it could consist of white rice and boiled chicken breast. Or maybe frozen vegetables instead of the rice. Would the rice be bad for him though since so many people on here say they keep their dog on a grain free diet?

RaRett, with the ACV solution, I can make enough so he stands in it in the tub, as far as rubbing him down with it, should i leave it on him or rinse it off with water. If rinsing off how long should i leave it on him first? He has a strong "old dog" smell to him. I'm not sure what causes that but figured it was all part of his skin condition.

Bulldogs4me, He does have a tight tail pocket. I've been using baby wipes on him every time he goes to the bathroom to clean him up. His stool has been soft ever since we got him so he makes quite a mess. Any other suggestions?

As mentioned, add some ACV to his drinking water. I use about one tablespoon per gallon of water. If he acts like he doesn't like it, phase it in slowly. I haven't had yeast problems since stating to use ACV in the water.

If you use ACV topically you shouldn't have to rinse. It should be in the rinse water.

To firm the stool up add some canned pumpkin to his food not the pie filling but 100% pumpkin. You don't need much. I don't think you have to phase in the bland diet. If you don't see results with the bland diet using chicken, try ground beef

OP
LetsGoMets

LetsGoMets

Dec 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dutch
Thanks Linwhite. I'm going to boil some chicken and rice for him now for lunch. I'll be going out to the store to pickup a bunch of stuff for him today.
How long does it usually take to start seeing results from diet change? I don't want to change between proteins too quickly on him. Once i see him getting better I'll add pumpkin to his food and give ACV in the water a shot too.

Thanks

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Just wondering if you had a skin scrape done at vet yet? Sometimes there are underlying issues that we may think are allergy related..I though Brutus was getting hives from allergies and it turns out he actually had a staph infection. A skin scrap will rule out mites, infection etc. We are also in NJ and we go to Richmond Valley ANimal Hopsital in Staten Island. They are specialized with bulldog breed

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon

[MENTION=7398]LetsGoMets[/MENTION] it looks like you have the info you need here, just wanted to let you know if you want to get someone's attention in response to a question or just to harass them you can put an @ symbol before their name and they will get notified like this

[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION]

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart

I have a 8 cup measuring cup, that has a flat bottom, and I make a batch and have Gizmo stand in it 1 paw at a time, and then I massage her feet, to make sure that its getting all through out the area. I then just dry off the excess.

ty @Baconator

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION], sound like you give one heck of a good pedicure. Do you paint her nails after too :lmaoboy:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well the team has given you some great advice..... I will just wuish you luck in finding the right food for your new baby. Keep in mind, for the bland diet you can subsitute ground beef for the chicken and pasta/noodles for the rice. I say this because one of my bully's was allergic to all rice product and my girl allergic to chicken.. so I had to adjust the bland diet

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.