General Question Surgery for breathing?

OP
Deniztokcan

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver British Columbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
[MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION] yes it is my first bully , i am lucky to have this wonderful community ...

Vet did not say that he needs it . But i just want him to get more oxygen and be more healthy

OP
Deniztokcan

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
Miss Tallulah snored like a sumo wrestler after too much sake. When she was spayed the vet (who is a Bully expert and owner that gets calls all the way from places like Germany and a kind wonderful person) did laser palette surgery. Said her palette was very elongated but her nostrils were fine. Not very expensive, ( around $650.00 ) and no real downtime. Healing is in a day or so and there is little to no pain becuase a laser is used instead of traditional surgery. Her breathing is so so much better now.

Wow that is great ! I would love to make that happen , the fact that it cost $650 is pretty good as i have been told at least 3-4-5 k ...

May i ask where did you get it done ?

I live in vancouver bc ,

Not that i am going to tale action wotoit vets recomendation but i will need to search and plan the very best for my boy as you all do :)

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Wow that is great ! I would love to make that happen , the fact that it cost $650 is pretty good as i have been told at least 3-4-5 k ...

May i ask where did you get it done ?

I live in vancouver bc ,

Not that i am going to tale action wotoit vets recomendation but i will need to search and plan the very best for my boy as you all do :)

My vet's name is Dr. Jim Standish and he works out of the Alpine Animal Hospital (Winnipeg/Spay & Neuter Clinic)
10H Keenleyside St in Winnipeg. I also posted his info on EBN. Maybe what you were quoted is more expensive because they do not do laser surgery. A traditional surgery with everything it includes could be much more costly and also more risky. Dr. Jim really understands Bullies and their issues. And he loves them. Not a lot of vets have the equipment or do laser surgery as the set up is quite pricey or so my neighbour who is also a vet tells me. She knows of his rep too and has total respect for him. Just know that unless your vet is versed in Bulldog specifics they can make a lot of wrong calls. Just make sure other issues such as heart etc. have been ruled out too. My heart goes out to you. It must be so distressing to watch you little bully huff and puff and get so worn out so easily. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Hi Deniztokan, Tooleysmom again. I called around Vancouver and found a vet in North Van that does laser palette surgery. I could not believe how many vets in Van do not do any laser surgery of any kind. The vet clinic is Norgate Animal Hospital, 604-980-2222. I spoke to them and they are familiar with Bullldog issues. I also checked Yelp and they are rated highly by those that did ratings. It might be worth a phone call to investigate. Also I know if the palette is elongated and there are symptoms, over the very long term there can be heart enlarging issues and fluid buildup in the lungs. So a second opinion would certainly not hurt. Good luck!!!!

OP
Deniztokcan

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
[MENTION=4570]Tooleysmom[/MENTION] hi i appreciate that you have given me that hospitals number and info , ubfortunately they only provide lazer neutering ...
:(

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Uni also has trouble breathing. When I asked my vet she seemed to think she was OK. But also told me that the condition can get worse over time because of the pressure of air on the soft tissues may stretch the pallet even longer. I had two vets tell me that Uni breaths alright for a bulldog, but some times I still wonder about it. If Boadie has no problems and sounds good, than how can Uni also be breathing at a good level? when you can hear her struggling some times, she also has more of a gag reflex, if she runs a lot after eating, she will puke! And sometimes she stops breathing all together in her sleep! I hate it when this happens. I usually try to wake her up so she can get breath. I do think about going to another vet to get yet another opinion, but Uni is still not two years yet, so for now I am gonna wait it out.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Miss Tallulah snored like a sumo wrestler after too much sake. When she was spayed the vet (who is a Bully expert and owner that gets calls all the way from places like Germany and a kind wonderful person) did laser palette surgery. Said her palette was very elongated but her nostrils were fine. Not very expensive, ( around $650.00 ) and no real downtime. Healing is in a day or so and there is little to no pain becuase a laser is used instead of traditional surgery. Her breathing is so so much better now.

I tried to give you 'reputation' but it said I couldn't??? anyways, I loved your post because it made me laugh
AND gave great advice out of experience...give Ms Tallulah sloppy bully kisses from me.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I am so happy to read about your experiences with this. We have an appointment with Mabel at a bulldog vet in Grand Rapids, MI in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping we can get some answers about her breathing. She looks like my old COPD patients who struggled to breathe. I'd love to be able to see her have more endurance and be able to run and play like she should.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.