General Question Surgery for breathing?

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver British Columbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
Hi , i am feeling so bad
When i see them struggling breathing , noises that he makes wile sleeping makes me very disturb .
I am wondering if anyone did a surgery to make them breath better?
Is it safe ? How much am i looking for that operation? What are your thougts?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had to have a procedure doen for my boy, Nitshcke -- he needed three things addressed to help his breathing -- two big issues were his nostrils were to narrow and his soft palette needed to be reduced. after, that he did much better, but not great. I do recomend it if your vet agrees... you are probably looking at 2500 - 3000 dollars

OP
Deniztokcan

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver British Columbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
Did u have insurance ? They covered any part of it or ? I am just thinking how to manage it , shall i start saving
Money plus i will travel to seattle as it seems to be cheaper than vancouver bc

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Are you just in Vancouver? I am just down the road (about 40 minutes north of Seattle). Let me know if you are ever going to be in the area.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Did u have insurance ? They covered any part of it or ? I am just thinking how to manage it , shall i start saving
Money plus i will travel to seattle as it seems to be cheaper than vancouver bc

Interesting ...
I asked my vet he told me to wait not now ...

Our vet waited till he was 2 yrs old so there will not be a need for additional procedures. No we did not have any insurance

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Is it somethng the vet recomended? I have never experienced this but Im sure others with more advice will be along..Hope all goes well!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My vet checked Lola when she was a puppy and said to wait because the first year of life they grow so much that it can show up after they are 6 months old. Your vet may have told you to wait because he is still young and things can change. Let us know after your vet appiontment in January how it goes!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=5029]Deniztokcan[/MENTION] is this your first bully and how old is he? Our makes tons of weird snoring and whistling sounds when he is sleeping but to my knowledge it is a trait of the breed. Unless your vet specifically suggests having a procedure done to fix a health issue I wouldn't worry about it. Kinda like if it's not broken don't fix it, no need to put Cappu through the un-needed stress on top of you having to spend the $$ for the procedure.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Miss Tallulah snored like a sumo wrestler after too much sake. When she was spayed the vet (who is a Bully expert and owner that gets calls all the way from places like Germany and a kind wonderful person) did laser palette surgery. Said her palette was very elongated but her nostrils were fine. Not very expensive, ( around $650.00 ) and no real downtime. Healing is in a day or so and there is little to no pain becuase a laser is used instead of traditional surgery. Her breathing is so so much better now.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi!
wilbur had very pinched nares...it was very hard for him to breathe and he would sleep with a toy or bone propping his mouth open. When he went in for his knee surgery ( 11 months old), the surgeon suggested that he take a look at this problem as well, while Wilbur was under.
Luckily, soft palate was fine, so the surgeon suggested widening the nostrils. He removed a wedge-shape from each nostril and stitched with dissolving stitches.
It was the best thing for him...and the surgeon said that with a greater ability to breathe and get oxygen,this would also help his knee heal. I know refer to Wilbur as my "bionic and oxygenated boy" lol!

insurance covered 80% of the whole thing.....

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Have any of you noticed if your dog has more stamina after the procedure? My vet hasn't mentioned a problem, but my pup can't seem to play for more than a few minutes or take a leisurely stroll without being winded. This may be completely normal, not sure, as he is my first bully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Have any of you noticed if your dog has more stamina after the procedure? My vet hasn't mentioned a problem, but my pup can't seem to play for more than a few minutes or take a leisurely stroll without being winded. This may be completely normal, not sure, as he is my first bully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

totally. It is like night and day with Wilbur. I mean his knee may have slowed him, but that was a sudden acute incident. he recovered beautifully from that and is now the most energetic and funny boy. He used to really lag on walks and pant and sleep twice as much as Layla. I swear the ability to breath and get enough oxygen changed his life. My vet compared it to asthma, where it is like trying to breathe through a straw.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online