Thread: Surgery for breathing?

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Surgery for breathing?

Hi!
    wilbur had very pinched nares...it was very hard for him to breathe and he would sleep with a toy or bone propping his mouth open. When he went in for his knee surgery ( 11 months old), the surgeon suggested that he take a look at this problem as well, while Wilbur was under.
    Luckily, soft palate was fine, so the surgeon suggested widening the nostrils. He removed a wedge-shape from each nostril and stitched with dissolving stitches.
    It was the best thing for him...and the surgeon said that with a greater ability to breathe and get oxygen,this would also help his knee heal. I know refer to Wilbur as my "bionic and oxygenated boy" lol!

insurance covered 80% of the whole thing.....

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Have any of you noticed if your dog has more stamina after the procedure? My vet hasn't mentioned a problem, but my pup can't seem to play for more than a few minutes or take a leisurely stroll without being winded. This may be completely normal, not sure, as he is my first bully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Corlando465 View Post
    Have any of you noticed if your dog has more stamina after the procedure? My vet hasn't mentioned a problem, but my pup can't seem to play for more than a few minutes or take a leisurely stroll without being winded. This may be completely normal, not sure, as he is my first bully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

totally. It is like night and day with Wilbur. I mean his knee may have slowed him, but that was a sudden acute incident. he recovered beautifully from that and is now the most energetic and funny boy. He used to really lag on walks and pant and sleep twice as much as Layla. I swear the ability to breath and get enough oxygen changed his life. My vet compared it to asthma, where it is like trying to breathe through a straw.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Cappu
    Likes (Received)

@Baconator yes it is my first bully , i am lucky to have this wonderful community ...

Vet did not say that he needs it . But i just want him to get more oxygen and be more healthy

Bulldog(s) Names
    Cappu
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tooleysmom View Post
    Miss Tallulah snored like a sumo wrestler after too much sake. When she was spayed the vet (who is a Bully expert and owner that gets calls all the way from places like Germany and a kind wonderful person) did laser palette surgery. Said her palette was very elongated but her nostrils were fine. Not very expensive, ( around $650.00 ) and no real downtime. Healing is in a day or so and there is little to no pain becuase a laser is used instead of traditional surgery. Her breathing is so so much better now.
    Wow that is great ! I would love to make that happen , the fact that it cost $650 is pretty good as i have been told at least 3-4-5 k ...

May i ask where did you get it done ?

I live in vancouver bc ,

Not that i am going to tale action wotoit vets recomendation but i will need to search and plan the very best for my boy as you all do

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Deniztokcan View Post
    Wow that is great ! I would love to make that happen , the fact that it cost $650 is pretty good as i have been told at least 3-4-5 k ...

May i ask where did you get it done ?

I live in vancouver bc ,

Not that i am going to tale action wotoit vets recomendation but i will need to search and plan the very best for my boy as you all do
    My vet's name is Dr. Jim Standish and he works out of the Alpine Animal Hospital (Winnipeg/Spay & Neuter Clinic)
    10H Keenleyside St in Winnipeg. I also posted his info on EBN. Maybe what you were quoted is more expensive because they do not do laser surgery. A traditional surgery with everything it includes could be much more costly and also more risky. Dr. Jim really understands Bullies and their issues. And he loves them. Not a lot of vets have the equipment or do laser surgery as the set up is quite pricey or so my neighbour who is also a vet tells me. She knows of his rep too and has total respect for him. Just know that unless your vet is versed in Bulldog specifics they can make a lot of wrong calls. Just make sure other issues such as heart etc. have been ruled out too. My heart goes out to you. It must be so distressing to watch you little bully huff and puff and get so worn out so easily. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Hi Deniztokan, Tooleysmom again. I called around Vancouver and found a vet in North Van that does laser palette surgery. I could not believe how many vets in Van do not do any laser surgery of any kind. The vet clinic is Norgate Animal Hospital, 604-980-2222. I spoke to them and they are familiar with Bullldog issues. I also checked Yelp and they are rated highly by those that did ratings. It might be worth a phone call to investigate. Also I know if the palette is elongated and there are symptoms, over the very long term there can be heart enlarging issues and fluid buildup in the lungs. So a second opinion would certainly not hurt. Good luck!!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Cappu
    Likes (Received)

@Tooleysmom hi i appreciate that you have given me that hospitals number and info , ubfortunately they only provide lazer neutering ...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Cappu
    Likes (Received)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

Uni also has trouble breathing. When I asked my vet she seemed to think she was OK. But also told me that the condition can get worse over time because of the pressure of air on the soft tissues may stretch the pallet even longer. I had two vets tell me that Uni breaths alright for a bulldog, but some times I still wonder about it. If Boadie has no problems and sounds good, than how can Uni also be breathing at a good level? when you can hear her struggling some times, she also has more of a gag reflex, if she runs a lot after eating, she will puke! And sometimes she stops breathing all together in her sleep! I hate it when this happens. I usually try to wake her up so she can get breath. I do think about going to another vet to get yet another opinion, but Uni is still not two years yet, so for now I am gonna wait it out.
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tooleysmom View Post
    Miss Tallulah snored like a sumo wrestler after too much sake. When she was spayed the vet (who is a Bully expert and owner that gets calls all the way from places like Germany and a kind wonderful person) did laser palette surgery. Said her palette was very elongated but her nostrils were fine. Not very expensive, ( around $650.00 ) and no real downtime. Healing is in a day or so and there is little to no pain becuase a laser is used instead of traditional surgery. Her breathing is so so much better now.

I tried to give you 'reputation' but it said I couldn't??? anyways, I loved your post because it made me laugh
    AND gave great advice out of experience...give Ms Tallulah sloppy bully kisses from me.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I am so happy to read about your experiences with this. We have an appointment with Mabel at a bulldog vet in Grand Rapids, MI in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping we can get some answers about her breathing. She looks like my old COPD patients who struggled to breathe. I'd love to be able to see her have more endurance and be able to run and play like she should.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads