Other Tear stains revisited

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I posted a picture of Remi in his winter jacket a few days ago (http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/bulldog-photos-videos/21762-winter-jacket.html), and mentioned that I knew Remi's tear stains were terrible. I got a few questions about them that I thought I'd move here so people looking for help could find it.

[MENTION=5605]Momma2Bullies[/MENTION], [MENTION=5404]dalmatina38[/MENTION] - I think with us, we just changed too much at once. Remi came to us on Diamond, and he didn't have any tear stains at first (lots of fillers). We believe he started getting them when we gave high quality chicken treats. When we upgraded his food to something with a super high protein content, turkey and duck, we came to realize he was allergic to poultry, because his eyes were watering nonstop, and all he did was scratch. Then we tried beef raw boost treats, and that was even worse. After he tried to eat a whole bully stick, we tried marrow bones. Those made him break out on his face like crazy, and the tear stains were black as sin. We didn't get him officially tested, but that to us was a huge sign he was allergic to beef in some way. (And that winter picture was taken a few days after discovering this)

We started removing everything but his food. All treats and even the oral hygiene stuff we add to his water. Once his tear stains are gone, we're going to slowly start reintroducing things. (OK - except Gardo bones, pearly whites, and antlers. I work from home, I need him occupied!!)

We've recently noticed a huge difference in his coat. It's so shiny, it glistens, but his tear stains are still as bad as ever, but they can't really get any worse. So, we're re-tackling the tear stain treatment that some members have recommended. They are getting better. We are doing this one:
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ealth/18146-tear-stain-before-after-pics.html but some recommend a hydrogen peroxide paste.

Remi is is currently on Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Diet Lamb, and I want to try giving him Salmon food soon because there are a lot more veggies in there, and I think it would be better for his overall health if he's not allergic and can stomach it. But I'm going to wait until his tear stains are under control before attempting. I just hate rocking the boat, but think it's important that Remi get more than just 1 protein and 1 starch if he can eat it. Still, it's a good way to test the waters. His face and overall color is looking much better since we've stopped giving him the extras.

Will update as I find out more.

Here he is this morning, 4 days after treatment, tear stains covered in Desitin. His face is a little pink. Does anyone know if this is normal?
remicouch2.jpg

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Gizmo and Hershey say: - "that boy needs a trip 'down state' across the canal for some real bully play, and not worry about the tear stains too so much :) :)'

Smyrna isnt that far btw :p

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I posted a picture of Remi in his winter jacket a few days ago (http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/bulldog-photos-videos/21762-winter-jacket.html), and mentioned that I knew Remi's tear stains were terrible. I got a few questions about them that I thought I'd move here so people looking for help could find it.

@Momma2Bullies, @dalmatina38 - I think with us, we just changed too much at once. Remi came to us on Diamond, and he didn't have any tear stains at first (lots of fillers). We believe he started getting them when we gave high quality chicken treats. When we upgraded his food to something with a super high protein content, turkey and duck, we came to realize he was allergic to poultry, because his eyes were watering nonstop, and all he did was scratch. Then we tried beef raw boost treats, and that was even worse. After he tried to eat a whole bully stick, we tried marrow bones. Those made him break out on his face like crazy, and the tear stains were black as sin. We didn't get him officially tested, but that to us was a huge sign he was allergic to beef in some way. (And that winter picture was taken a few days after discovering this)

We started removing everything but his food. All treats and even the oral hygiene stuff we add to his water. Once his tear stains are gone, we're going to slowly start reintroducing things. (OK - except Gardo bones, pearly whites, and antlers. I work from home, I need him occupied!!)

We've recently noticed a huge difference in his coat. It's so shiny, it glistens, but his tear stains are still as bad as ever, but they can't really get any worse. So, we're re-tackling the tear stain treatment that some members have recommended. They are getting better. We are doing this one:
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ealth/18146-tear-stain-before-after-pics.html but some recommend a hydrogen peroxide paste.

Remi is is currently on Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Diet Lamb, and I want to try giving him Salmon food soon because there are a lot more veggies in there, and I think it would be better for his overall health if he's not allergic and can stomach it. But I'm going to wait until his tear stains are under control before attempting. I just hate rocking the boat, but think it's important that Remi get more than just 1 protein and 1 starch if he can eat it. Still, it's a good way to test the waters. His face and overall color is looking much better since we've stopped giving him the extras.

Will update as I find out more.

Here he is this morning, 4 days after treatment, tear stains covered in Desitin. His face is a little pink. Does anyone know if this is normal?
View attachment 32433

Hi! Ok so this sounds exactly like what I have been doing. My dogs are both 1 1/2 now, and since about 11 months I changed food so much it is really ridiculous. As puppies they were both on Wellness puppy and did great. Layla didn't even have tear stains (I know this goes with puppyhood, but still). I put them on adult Wellness around then since they were starting to really put on weight with the high calorie of the puppy blend. They were fine. Then I started monkeying around for something "better" and this is when everything happened. Wellness grain free Core, Fromm Whitefish and Potato, Nature's Variety LID turkey, Wellness Simple Duck and Oatmeal, then most recently Wellness Core Ocean for its grain-free and poultry-free recipe. I so wish I would have read how bad it can be to change food too much... I feel like I have caused all of the issues when they were awesome until I started changing things just because I wanted to.:cry:

I started adding grizzly salmon oil to their food and Wilbur exploded. I don't know if it was just "time", since there was salmon in his food but it seriously put him over the edge. :(
Layla is ok, but bad bad tear stains and reddish rings around her eyes.

Wilbur is not good at all. MAJOR pink face (like Remi, sorry...) with huge pustule chin acne, and raw naked pink sore skin where is tear folds are. I tried desitin there and it seemed to make things worse. $400 at the vet later, for the fourth round of antibiotics in his little life (not even including his knee surgery), I have caved and put him on Hill's z/d. I know it is a very low score food but I need to get his allergies under control. I am thinking Layla will have to go on it as well; but she is not as bad as Wilbur (visibly at least... coat is great, everything great except tear stains). As soon as I am able to introduce specific dietary components to see what triggers his allergies, I am going to put him on a better more natural food. My vet also talked to me about home cooking and she will help me too with that if it comes to that. Since it is hardcore winter here, I have at least been able to rule out seasonal allergies at this point.

I asked about allergy testing, and she said there is no test here that is in any way specific or reliable.

So, here I am doing a strict hypoallergenic diet - no treats whatsoever, only nylabones to chew... sigh.

Let me know what happens with Remi, I so hope this works for you! :pray2:

L

Lucy-licious

Billy's tear stains got terrible too after a recent switch to a Salmon and Potato Grain free diet....So we are currently mid switch to Lamb and Veg Grain free that Lucy has.
We are treating the stains Duoxo Pads and Desetin. They were soo dark they look almost Black...so we will since once he has made the fullswitch how long it takes us to get rid of them.
Its a shame really because we had just cleared tear stains and rust stains on his neck prior to starting the Salmon and Potato...bad, bad, move :(

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola has some tear stains but not bad but I do use a tear stain gel on her when it looks like its getting worse.

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
i have the same issues as I am struggling to find a grain free treat that works good for training. Everything I try causes tearstains.

I saw a product called Tearlax to remove tear stains. it says its all natural and doesn't contain any harmful ingredients. Is anyone familiar with this product?

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
For me tear stains are more than a cosmetic issue. I have allergies, and I don't want Remi suffering like I know I can suffer! I feel like there is a solution to this problem, but maybe he's allergic to grass, and air, and... maybe I should just give him angel eyes? LOL!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Gizmo and Hershey say: - "that boy needs a trip 'down state' across the canal for some real bully play, and not worry about the tear stains too so much :) :)'

Smyrna isnt that far btw :p

get with your smyrna friends and get to smyrna and the puppies can PLAY PLAY PLAY PLAY PLAY :) : ) :)

L

Lucy-licious

i have the same issues as I am struggling to find a grain free treat that works good for training. Everything I try causes tearstains.

I saw a product called Tearlax to remove tear stains. it says its all natural and doesn't contain any harmful ingredients. Is anyone familiar with this product?

I use their kibble pieces for treats...they really don't mind either its the getting of the treat that matters most xx

My SIL boils chicken breast for her Welsh Terrier and gives little pieces of that as training treats...just a couple of ideas for you xx

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse has tear stains at he moment as while we were over in the USA and he ws at my daughters he would not eat his food but wanted what her dogs were eating so I said well let him have it if he will eat as obviously he could not starve for seven weeks, we have been home for 3 weeks and he ihas been back on his food and they are not as bad but a long process I think and reading this thread how some say salmon affects them is this also with the Grizzly salmon oil as I have just recieved mine in the post today and now I am a bit concerned starting Ftse on it, if this does not affect them how much and often do you give them and do you mix it in their food? :confused:

L

Lucy-licious

Ftse has tear stains at he moment as while we were over in the USA and he ws at my daughters he would not eat his food but wanted what her dogs were eating so I said well let him have it if he will eat as obviously he could not starve for seven weeks, we have been home for 3 weeks and he ihas been back on his food and they are not as bad but a long process I think and reading this thread how some say salmon affects them is this also with the Grizzly salmon oil as I have just recieved mine in the post today and now I am a bit concerned starting Ftse on it, if this does not affect them how much and often do you give them and do you mix it in their food? :confused:

I'm really not sure....but maybe [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] will know xx

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION]0 there is a pump dosage on the back of the bottle we give Bacon 4 pumps a day with his dinner along with a cap full of acv and we haven't had any issues. [MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] how old is Remi now? You mentioned that his face broke out when he had the marrow bone, did it break out in hives or acne? Bacon had really bad acne up until he was about 8-10 months old then he grew out of it, when we would give him things like himilayan chews it would get really bad.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
@Ftse 1000 there is a pump dosage on the back of the bottle we give Bacon 4 pumps a day with his dinner along with a cap full of acv and we haven't had any issues. @ModernFemme how old is Remi now? You mentioned that his face broke out when he had the marrow bone, did it break out in hives or acne? Bacon had really bad acne up until he was about 8-10 months old then he grew out of it, when we would give him things like himilayan chews it would get really bad.

What is acv?

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I sprinkle just a dash of Angel EYes - beef - on Punk's food and she has no tear stains. She is 3 now and I have done this since she was about 1. I do not give any more than a dash. She is on Royal Canin for bulldogs. I have tried other food and all the girls just pick out the RC. I have a Corgi and a small mixed breed.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
salmon oil is just put right on the food and goes by weight. their should be a weight chart on the bottle. sarah is 47 pounds and gets 2 pumps. i do it every morning in her breakfast. you can just do a little squirt to test and see how they react

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online