Other Tear stains revisited

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

With every puppy should be an instruction manual about how to care for a bulldog.
This is a great place to learn. Sadly sometimes it is after the fact. So, no need to berate learning even at a slow pace.

First off, bulldogs are dog/animals. As humans we tend to give them "human" qualities and characteristics and concern about food.

Most if not all bulldogs are sensitive to many foods. The more simple the better. Most if not all are sensitive to chicken and grain. Check your food to see if it contains beets? This causes staining as well.

What each dog, what your dog is allergic too will take time. Start off as basic as possible and only change one thing at a time. (quote from the movie Contact "small moves Ellie" ).

If you change too many things all at once or too many things at once you will never know exactly what it was that caused or helped.

As for tear stains:
daily cleaning with plain jane baby wipes, dry good, use gold bond or desetin. NOT baking soda corn starch !
For infections associated with these fold areas, again desetin cream or for severe cases use Duoxo pads.

Too many bad reactions associated with medications such as angel eyes or others that adjust the PH level. This could cause OTHER problems in kidney or bladder.

So go slow, check ingredients and consider allergy testing for extreme cases. Then you will know for sure !

Good Day~

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
Hope this wasn't posted already... Larry has issues with tear stains but it isn't due to his diet. His eye water because he gets eye lashes that grow towards this eyes, making his eyes water which in turn leaves that fold moist. Every time we take him to the vet she plucks problem ones. The vet did mention cyro to freeze the roots of problem eye lashes. Anyway, just an idea that it might not alway be food/treat/allergy related :)

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
@Ftse 1000 there is a pump dosage on the back of the bottle we give Bacon 4 pumps a day with his dinner along with a cap full of acv and we haven't had any issues. @ModernFemme how old is Remi now? You mentioned that his face broke out when he had the marrow bone, did it break out in hives or acne? Bacon had really bad acne up until he was about 8-10 months old then he grew out of it, when we would give him things like himilayan chews it would get really bad.

Hey Bacon! Merry Christmas.

Neither really. He did get a couple of pimples, but otherwise, his mouth area was just really really red. In fact, his face is STILL slightly red, like all the time. I'm at my witts end I tell ya! I moved him to NVI's Salmon, but no real change on the redness front. His stains are holding steady.

I notice his nose runs when we go for walks, to the park, etc. I'm beginning to think he is just allergic to life.

In addition to the food, the only thing I feed him are quado bones and pearly whites.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hey Bacon! Merry Christmas.

Neither really. He did get a couple of pimples, but otherwise, his mouth area was just really really red. In fact, his face is STILL slightly red, like all the time. I'm at my witts end I tell ya! I moved him to NVI's Salmon, but no real change on the redness front. His stains are holding steady.

I notice his nose runs when we go for walks, to the park, etc. I'm beginning to think he is just allergic to life.

In addition to the food, the only thing I feed him are quado bones and pearly whites.

Could be allergies, when we let Bacon out in the back yard he comes in all snotty nosed.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Sarge had bad tear stains when we lived down south, but when we moved to Pennsylvania
they cleared up and I changed his food to blue wilderness. Now his stains are all most gone.

Staff online

Members online