Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tear stains revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    @Ftse 1000 there is a pump dosage on the back of the bottle we give Bacon 4 pumps a day with his dinner along with a cap full of acv and we haven't had any issues. @ModernFemme how old is Remi now? You mentioned that his face broke out when he had the marrow bone, did it break out in hives or acne? Bacon had really bad acne up until he was about 8-10 months old then he grew out of it, when we would give him things like himilayan chews it would get really bad.
    What is acv?

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N (bg), Lilly (corgi - 09.24.08 - 03.07.13), Missy (mixed), Mickey (rescue bd - RIP 02.13.15)
    Likes (Received)

I sprinkle just a dash of Angel EYes - beef - on Punk's food and she has no tear stains. She is 3 now and I have done this since she was about 1. I do not give any more than a dash. She is on Royal Canin for bulldogs. I have tried other food and all the girls just pick out the RC. I have a Corgi and a small mixed breed.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ftse 100 View Post
    Ftse has tear stains at he moment as while we were over in the USA and he ws at my daughters he would not eat his food but wanted what her dogs were eating so I said well let him have it if he will eat as obviously he could not starve for seven weeks, we have been home for 3 weeks and he ihas been back on his food and they are not as bad but a long process I think and reading this thread how some say salmon affects them is this also with the Grizzly salmon oil as I have just recieved mine in the post today and now I am a bit concerned starting Ftse on it, if this does not affect them how much and often do you give them and do you mix it in their food?
    salmon oil is just put right on the food and goes by weight. their should be a weight chart on the bottle. sarah is 47 pounds and gets 2 pumps. i do it every morning in her breakfast. you can just do a little squirt to test and see how they react

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ftse 100 View Post
    What is acv?
    Apple cider vinegar, we use the unfiltered/unpasturized kind that was suggested by others on here. It's very good for the immune system and skin issues

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

With every puppy should be an instruction manual about how to care for a bulldog.
    This is a great place to learn. Sadly sometimes it is after the fact. So, no need to berate learning even at a slow pace.

First off, bulldogs are dog/animals. As humans we tend to give them "human" qualities and characteristics and concern about food.

Most if not all bulldogs are sensitive to many foods. The more simple the better. Most if not all are sensitive to chicken and grain. Check your food to see if it contains beets? This causes staining as well.

What each dog, what your dog is allergic too will take time. Start off as basic as possible and only change one thing at a time. (quote from the movie Contact "small moves Ellie" ).

If you change too many things all at once or too many things at once you will never know exactly what it was that caused or helped.

As for tear stains:
    daily cleaning with plain jane baby wipes, dry good, use gold bond or desetin. NOT baking soda corn starch !
    For infections associated with these fold areas, again desetin cream or for severe cases use Duoxo pads.

Too many bad reactions associated with medications such as angel eyes or others that adjust the PH level. This could cause OTHER problems in kidney or bladder.

So go slow, check ingredients and consider allergy testing for extreme cases. Then you will know for sure !

Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Apple cider vinegar, we use the unfiltered/unpasturized kind that was suggested by others on here. It's very good for the immune system and skin issues
    oh good Thank you I will get that too

Real Name
    Wendy Kerr
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
    Likes (Received)

Hope this wasn't posted already... Larry has issues with tear stains but it isn't due to his diet. His eye water because he gets eye lashes that grow towards this eyes, making his eyes water which in turn leaves that fold moist. Every time we take him to the vet she plucks problem ones. The vet did mention cyro to freeze the roots of problem eye lashes. Anyway, just an idea that it might not alway be food/treat/allergy related

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Ftse 1000 there is a pump dosage on the back of the bottle we give Bacon 4 pumps a day with his dinner along with a cap full of acv and we haven't had any issues. @ModernFemme how old is Remi now? You mentioned that his face broke out when he had the marrow bone, did it break out in hives or acne? Bacon had really bad acne up until he was about 8-10 months old then he grew out of it, when we would give him things like himilayan chews it would get really bad.
    Hey Bacon! Merry Christmas.

Neither really. He did get a couple of pimples, but otherwise, his mouth area was just really really red. In fact, his face is STILL slightly red, like all the time. I'm at my witts end I tell ya! I moved him to NVI's Salmon, but no real change on the redness front. His stains are holding steady.

I notice his nose runs when we go for walks, to the park, etc. I'm beginning to think he is just allergic to life.

In addition to the food, the only thing I feed him are quado bones and pearly whites.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    Hey Bacon! Merry Christmas.

Neither really. He did get a couple of pimples, but otherwise, his mouth area was just really really red. In fact, his face is STILL slightly red, like all the time. I'm at my witts end I tell ya! I moved him to NVI's Salmon, but no real change on the redness front. His stains are holding steady.

I notice his nose runs when we go for walks, to the park, etc. I'm beginning to think he is just allergic to life.

In addition to the food, the only thing I feed him are quado bones and pearly whites.
    Could be allergies, when we let Bacon out in the back yard he comes in all snotty nosed.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Tom Fraley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge and LuLu
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sarge had bad tear stains when we lived down south, but when we moved to Pennsylvania
    they cleared up and I changed his food to blue wilderness. Now his stains are all most gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads