Help Needed! Otis Is Throwing Up

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Otis has thrown up 4 times in 3 hours. I only worked a half day today (thank goodness I was home) and I noticed that he was laying around alot, but I just thought maybe he was tired from playing outside so long the day before. The first time he threw up it was full of grass and honestly my carpet was green. Kinda took me by surprise but I just played it off as one of those EB throw ups that happen from time to time. Thirty minutes later he throws up again (just kinda foamy, not green) but then I knew something was not right. He was just laying around with those sad eyes looking up at me begging for help. After a couple more throw ups I called the vet. She said to just keep an eye on him that he probably had a virus just like we humans get. She said that I could give him some Pepto and that might help. She said to just make sure he drinks a little even if I have to give him some water in a dropper. So off to the store I go. I gave him a 1/2 teaspoon of Pepto and no more throw ups, but he is not himself and just laying around. I have taken his food away, but he has drank a little water (which is good).

Am I doing everything right???

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Forgot to mention that his poops are normal and he has went several times today. He has had some stinky unusual farts though....

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola had a bout of some throwing up one day last month...it was a little alarming, but she threw up about 5 times, over the course of 8 hours, some of which were just foam. The final throw up was previous nights dinner which may or may not have been the culprit. She was fine after that, and starving the next morning. We let her sleep with us that night just in case she had to throw up again. even dogs get the stomach flu once in a while? just keep small amounts of water going down

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Have you looked close at the poop? Perhaps he's eaten something a few days ago and it's making a move now. I don't know if you needed to take his food away. you could give him some ice if he's not drinking, keep an eye on him, it may all pass till morning. Griz will eat massive amounts of grass when he gets tummy ache. It's completely normal for them to do this, to early to really get excited yet. :blush2:

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Oh no! Poor Otis! You're doing fine. I agree with everyone else, he probably ate something that disagreed with him or has a little virus and is just working it out of his system. You can always give him a bland diet tomorrow to make sure it doesn't upset his tummy if you're afraid he is still queasy.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I bet he got into something or maybe its a virus! Keep us updated!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Sorry to hear Otis isn't feeling well. How is he doing this evening? Just continue to monitor him and like some have mentioned, check his poop to see if anything comes out that end that he may have ingested.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Poor baby boy :bad: will keep him in my prayers that all will be fine.

Brutus sends big, slobbery kisses to him.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Same advice as the others above. Just keep watching his poops, because my Dozer swallowed a sock last month, and we didn't know , and he threw up 4 times one morning, and laid around most of the day, the same way your describing Otis. I took him to the vet, and they gave him IV fluids, a laxative , and pain medication after taking an X-ray to see if there was an obstruction. We saw a shadow on the X-ray, and something was lodged in his intestines. She sent me home with a fibre food, which we fed him a Tbsp every hour , and the vet was pretty sure we were going to have to go into surgery to get the object out. We went home and 3 hours later, he passed my Grandsons' sock , and was fine after that. They get into and eat things you don't even know. Continue to watch him for any signs of obstruction such as diarrhea , vomiting, and another thing Dozer did was he drooled water from his mouth in between the vomiting , these are signs that they've got some kind of obstruction. If its not a virus, and I hope that's all it is, and you see these signs, be careful not to give food by mouth , as it could get stuck from the obstruction, or make him throw up more. I hope all is well tomorrow, and it passes, and Otis is back to himself soon. Keep us posted and let us know how he's doing. Sending positive thoughts, love and prayers for you and Otis. Feel better Buddy

Last edited:

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Remi sometimes throws up the day and day after he plays too hard. Possible?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Otis has thrown up 4 times in 3 hours. I only worked a half day today (thank goodness I was home) and I noticed that he was laying around alot, but I just thought maybe he was tired from playing outside so long the day before. The first time he threw up it was full of grass and honestly my carpet was green. Kinda took me by surprise but I just played it off as one of those EB throw ups that happen from time to time. Thirty minutes later he throws up again (just kinda foamy, not green) but then I knew something was not right. He was just laying around with those sad eyes looking up at me begging for help. After a couple more throw ups I called the vet. She said to just keep an eye on him that he probably had a virus just like we humans get. She said that I could give him some Pepto and that might help. She said to just make sure he drinks a little even if I have to give him some water in a dropper. So off to the store I go. I gave him a 1/2 teaspoon of Pepto and no more throw ups, but he is not himself and just laying around. I have taken his food away, but he has drank a little water (which is good).

Am I doing everything right???

How is Otis today?

M

mabel lou

I hope you have had a great night and morning with your baby and hope he is feeling much better now.

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
No more throwing up, but he is still laying around. He drank lots of water this morning and ate a little kibble which is good. When he pooped this morning something like a banana pepper (only way i know to describe it) came out. It had to be something he ate while playing outside. I now feel fairly certain whatever it was has upset his stomach. I will continue to monitor his poops. As long as he is eating and drinking I am not going to panic. I just wish he would perk up and be his normal self. I don't like my baby being sick.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.