General Question Generic Heart guard plus

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Here is a generic for heart guard plus and I was thinking about trying it what you think?
p-50002-57610.jpg
What is Iverhart Plus?
Iverhart Plus is a generic alternative to the prescription medication Heartgard Plus. It contains ivermectin for heartworm prevention plus pyrantel pamoate for the treatment and control of roundworms and hookworms.Who is it for?
Dogs and puppies over 6 weeks of age. Safe for pregnant/breeding females.
What are the benefits?

*Economical alternative to Heartgard Plus
*Protects against heartworm infection plus intestinal worms
*Pork-liver flavored chewable tablets for easy administration
Some dogs with food allergies, particularly to beef, cannot take certain flavored medications such as Heartgard Plus. Iverhart Plus is preferred by our veterinarians since it is pork-based and perfect for dogs with a sensitivity to beef products. 6 chewable pork-liver flavored tablets per package.If you would like to save money and/or if your dog has allergies, please ask your veterinarian about this product.
How does Iverhart Plus work?
Ivermectin eliminates the larval (immature) form of Dirofilaria immitus. This prevents the development of the adult stage of the heartworm. Ivermectin works by causing paralysis of the parasite which eventually causes its death. Pyrantel pamoate kills adult hookworms (Ancylostoma caninum, A. brasiliense, and Uncinaria stenocephala) and roundworms (ascarids -Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina)in the intestine.
Is there a generic equivalent available?
Iverhart Plus is the generic equivalent of Heartgard Plus.
How is it given?
Iverhart Plus chewable tablets are given orally and will be equally effective whether chewed or swallowed whole. Care should be taken that the dog consumes the complete dose, and treated animals should be observed for a few minutes after administration to ensure that part of the dose is not lost or rejected.
Iverhart Plus must be administered monthly, preferably on the same date each month. Drs. Foster and Smith recommends (and our guarantee requires) that Iverhart Plus be given year round, although some veterinarians may recommend giving it only during the mosquito season. If given seasonally, the first dose must be given within 30 days of the dog's first exposure to mosquitoes. The last dose must be given within 30 days after the dog's last exposure to mosquitoes. The tablet kills the parasites acquired during the previous month. (The tablet given December 1st treats exposures to heartworm during the month of November.)
Always follow the dosage instructions provided by your veterinarian. If you have difficulty giving the medication, contact your veterinarian.
This medication should only be given to the pet for whom it was prescribed.
What results can I expect?
Iverhart Plus will kill the immature heartworms the dog was exposed to in the preceding month. It will treat an intestinal infection with adult hookworms and roundworms.
What form(s) does it come in?
Chewable Tablet

For the 50 to 100 pound pills they are $26.94 for a 6 month supply or if you want to buy one month at a time it is $4.96 a pill it also is $49.80 For a whole year. The price is 1/3 of heart guard but if heart guard is better than its well worth the extra money. I use generic medication all the time for myself so I would think this is the same?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have never tried it, but thanks for the info. I like Sentinel myself, because it also works on fleas too, but you can't get it right now. :(

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I looked into Sentinel but I cant find it anywhere!

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
As long as your vet didn't say anything about your dog being on Heartgard ONLY. Sometimes dogs have allergic reactions to the fillers in these things. The "drug" aspect (ivemectin) is the s;s//ame in both however the flavoring (i.e. chicken) might be different and may affect your dog. I would use the generic myself, and I'll likely order it the next time I need more pills (I got a good deal on buying a years worth of Heartgard)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
It is worth trying but want to make sure it works I dont want her getting heart worms!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online