Help Needed! Struvite Crystals in Urine

rubytuesday

Dec 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Hi there, my beautiful girl, Ruby, has struvite crystals in her urine. She hasn't shown any symptoms, but when we took her to the vet for her shots she got too excited and pee. The vet noticed a strong smell and suggested a urinalysis. The results came back and little Ruby doesn't have an infection, but the vet saw struvite crystals in her urine. My pretty girl is only 15 months and she loves her food (we give her Canidae All Stages), her coat is very pretty and haven't noticed anything wrong with her. The vet recommended to change to Science Diet, but I have heard bad things about that food. Which food you guys recommend for puppies with struvite crystals?? Any help is welcomed :). I love my bully so much and I don't want Ruby Tuesday to get stones. Thank you!

Attachments

• Ruby.jpg
    Ruby.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 117

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Do not take the vets advise about the food. Struvites form in too alkaline urine and you can make it more acidic with vitamin C, cranberry, meat and anything acidic. I advise you to invest in a electrical pH meter and test her urine once a week until you find a balance of 6-7. It's not good to make it too acidic, that can leed to different kind of crystals or stones.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I am sorry you are going through this. In my opinion I would never ever feed Science Diet. This may sound crazy but vets are not knowledgable about food and ingredients. I will tag [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] Im sure she has some info that may be able to help you. Hang in there and big :hug:

L

Lucy-licious

First if all big hugs to you both :hug:

my boy Billy had Urate Crystals and I had your same fears about suitable diet and the prescription foods. Billy's it seems we're actually caused by infection...although his urinalysis was negative for infection...my vet gave us antibiotics as a just in case while he spun urine to check for crystals which were at that time present...after a week of antibiotics and another urine sample he had no crystals.
In the meantime my vet spoke to someone at Hills as Billy us only 7 months old and still growing (their diet isn't suitable for puppies) They told him that there is an uncommon urine infection that can cause Urite Crystals, and to treat for a further 2 weeks on antibiotics. He has just finished his antibiotics and I am confident there are no crystals...his pee is clear as water :)
The crystals are different that Billy had though but whilst reading I found stuff about struvite crystals too...I will PM you links :hug:

[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] helped me a lot too..her boy Usko also has Urate Crystals...I know they are different but she may be able to offer one help too xx

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would never feed science diet! The vets geta kick back off of how much they sell so that affects what they suggest. I would ask about antibiotics and see if that is an option. I hope things get better for you!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They can be common in dogs and never become a problem, I will PM you with a link to read up on them. I would hold off on the S.D. food.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My vet sells Science Diet, does your's?

OP
R

rubytuesday

Dec 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thank you so much for all your answers! Ruby and I are so happy we found this website :2thumbs: I agree with all of you, I won't giver her science diet. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] her pH can back at 7, which makes me wonder if she really has crystals. I'm getting a copy of her urinalysis. I will talk to my vet about the option of antibiotics. Also, thank you so much for all the links and information you guys are sharing with me :). I will contact [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] and ask for food some suggestions.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Sorry that I am late to this, have you gotten a copy of the urinalysis? If you have can you post/copy the results?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

What to do....

I have been a member for many years. I highly recommend people to this site for information.
But it seems as if there are TOO many opinions.
Opinions are good...but trying to decide what to accept, what to do is frustrating.

I have a male, 2.5 yo that recently had to have bladder stone surgery. He had the non-struvite kind. And not just one, but a handful of stones.. way too many.
several weeks after that emergency I took him back and discovered he had a stone lodged in the urethra and had to have THAT emergency surgery.

I am very worried and concerned. While I want to trust my vets, I am also aware of what is being said in these forums also.

I am spending hours trying to track down what is best? raw vs kibble, brand vs brand, filtered water, additives..

feeling very worried right now...
:*( :confused: :pray2:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello,

What to do....

I have been a member for many years. I highly recommend people to this site for information.
But it seems as if there are TOO many opinions.
Opinions are good...but trying to decide what to accept, what to do is frustrating.

I have a male, 2.5 yo that recently had to have bladder stone surgery. He had the non-struvite kind. And not just one, but a handful of stones.. way too many.
several weeks after that emergency I took him back and discovered he had a stone lodged in the urethra and had to have THAT emergency surgery.

I am very worried and concerned. While I want to trust my vets, I am also aware of what is being said in these forums also.

I am spending hours trying to track down what is best? raw vs kibble, brand vs brand, filtered water, additives..

feeling very worried right now...
:*( :confused: :pray2:

Your bully most likely has the same as mine. I recommend raw and I also speak from experience. The website dogaware also has good information on different kind of stones and proper feeding what ever you decide to feed.

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
I am the same way....IDK what to do. Right now I went ahead and put Gumbo on antibiotics and also she is doing the science diet. I was going to treat it with meds but the vet said that med could make it worse for her in the long run. I just want my baby to be better (and she is). She seems to love the food (not a problem with her eating it) and her skin and energy have improved. I'm just hoping she does not have to stay on the diet a long time. $30 for 12 cans is a lot of money.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
If you listen to your vet she's going to have be on that diet for the rest of her life.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.