Help Needed! Is this a hot spot

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Would allergies cause her immune system to become weak?? About 2 weeks ago she started chewing her paws n getting very yeasty n I know from here that's food allergies 101, so out went the kibbles n bits n we started feeding her blue buffalo white fish n brown rice!!! I clean her nose rope every night well Wednesday night we had a family emergency n I forgot to well Thursday morning her nose rope was beat red and caked with yeast :( that's under control but this spot has got me wanting to cry now my poor baby I'm supposed to take care of her not make her worse!!!!

yes, allergies are one of the reasons an immune system will weaken. Even though BB is a good food... she could be allergic to an main ingredient in the food... example, my girl is allergic to chicken, and sensitive to salmon, but my boy was allergic to all RICE... which is usually the top of the list for ingredients. think about a grain free food.

You can also talk to your vet about a full blood screen allergy test which will give you a list of her sensitivities... if you plan to do so, make sure Porky has not been on steroids for at least 30 days before taking the blood for the test. if steroids are in her system you will get false results because the steroids cover the issue not correct it.

good luck and keep us posted after the vet appointment

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION] [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thank you all for your advice n help :) it is indeed a staph infection she was given a steroid injection n is on a weeks worth of antibiotics!! Her vet said that it was caught very early n bcuz of that she thinks it will heal up nicely!! We are trying the ok is it this game with her food for now since her vet gave her the steroids :( but they actually do the skin test rather than blood so I'm kind of glad she's not getting the test yet lol!!! Thank you so much everyone :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So glad you were on top of it... Good luck on the food search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
So glad you were on top of it... Good luck on the food search

i think we are going to try taste of the wild grain free and go from there lol but last night she peed in her sleep :( which I know she was sleeping bcuz her rearend was soaked n she's a prissy girl n runs from her own poop soooo lol I know the vet said with the steroids she will pee a lotttt more but now my minds racing thinking something is wrong with her kidneys :( I'm a little paranoid but that's not her at all!!!!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i think we are going to try taste of the wild grain free and go from there lol but last night she peed in her sleep :( which I know she was sleeping bcuz her rearend was soaked n she's a prissy girl n runs from her own poop soooo lol I know the vet said with the steroids she will pee a lotttt more but now my minds racing thinking something is wrong with her kidneys :( I'm a little paranoid but that's not her at all!!!!!!

It is the steroids.... makes them have to pee a LOT

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw well im glad you got her to the vet n she will be on the road to recovery. keep us updated on how she is doing and what food you pick out.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
aw well im glad you got her to the vet n she will be on the road to recovery. keep us updated on how she is doing and what food you pick out.

We are going to probably get her taste of the wild grain free salmon I think was the flavor and then give her different things like chicken n beef n see if she starts the paw biting again :) so far she's doing great idk if its the steroids or if whatever she was allergic to we already got out of her diet but she's got 10 times the energy now lol we were playing fetch for over an hour usually after 5 min she crashes!!!! Her sore is healing beautifully n she does her gremlin when I clean it again :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
so far she's doing great idk if its the steroids or if whatever she was allergic to we already got out of her diet but she's got 10 times the energy now lol we were playing fetch for over an hour usually after 5 min she crashes!!!!

it is the steroids... both Nitschke and Banks would bounce off the walls from them... could not tell you the last time I allowed them to be prescribed, the energy level was like they were on speed.

Oh, and they also cover the issue ... it may not be that you removed the right items yet, just that the drug is doing it's job. I hope I am wrong, but watch her closely after the drug is out of her system for about 3 to 4 weeks

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
it is the steroids... both Nitschke and Banks would bounce off the walls from them... could not tell you the last time I allowed them to be prescribed, the energy level was like they were on speed.

Oh, and they also cover the issue ... it may not be that you removed the right items yet, just that the drug is doing it's job. I hope I am wrong, but watch her closely after the drug is out of her system for about 3 to 4 weeks

when she gets to wound up she goes for quiet time in her room so about every 3 hours it seems like I'm putting her in there :(!! She seemed to only really chew her paws at night n she sleeps on my legs so that ill deffinately notice if she starts it again. Thank u so much for your advice :) uve helped me a lotttttt

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky

Question for you my dear :) her sore was healing beautifully until it snowed n now I've had to drain it the last 3 nights bcuz it got all swollen n filled with puss :( I assume its bcuz it got wet b4 it was completely healed n even though I would clean it n dry it with witch hazel I wasn't draining it do u have any suggestions on how to clean it so we don't have to do another round of steroids?? It hasn't spread at all n the sore itself doesn't appear to have gotten any bigger just yucky and pussy :(

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
We are going to probably get her taste of the wild grain free salmon I think was the flavor and then give her different things like chicken n beef n see if she starts the paw biting again :) so far she's doing great idk if its the steroids or if whatever she was allergic to we already got out of her diet but she's got 10 times the energy now lol we were playing fetch for over an hour usually after 5 min she crashes!!!! Her sore is healing beautifully n she does her gremlin when I clean it again :)

May I suggest NOT giving her anything but TOTW Salmon for at least 1-2 months.

That way if she reacts you know WHAT it is...a lot of bullies are allergic to chicken
(or any poultry). No other treats during this 2 months, either.

Strengthen her immune system w/a good prebiotic & probiotic, you can get capsules
or use natural sources sprinkled over her food or added to her water, use filtered or
​distilled water for her to drink. GOD bless!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I hope she gets better soon good luck give her some extra kisses for all of us

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.