Help Needed! Back from Vet (spay)

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Just picked up bacon from vet for her spay and microchip.

They told me that they have her a shot for the pain and not to give her the pain meds until tomorrow. But she seems like she is in pain. She won't stay still, not even for a minute. And she keeps crying (making crying noises that I've never heard of before).

Did you guys have something similar when you had you bully spayed?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I haven't got Lola spayed yet but I just wanted to say I hope she gets feeling better soon!

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Zeus and Dexter were both neutered in the last week. Neither of them were sent home with pain meds. Zeus laid around like a baby for a week and Dexter acted like he had nothing done and he had both cherry eyes repaired. I know that spaying is more painful for the girls. If she acts like she is in pain, I would give her the paid med.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would call the vet to ask... Banks did not have pain meds and mostly slept the day she came home

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When we got Bella spayed a couple of weeks ago they sent her home with Rimadyl. If you think she's in pain I would give your vet a call, or the emergency vet and tell them the situation. They may recommend to give her the pain meds now, or perhaps a smaller dose.

It's so awful when they are in pain and there is nothing you can do .. you feel so helpless. :cry:

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
You should call a vet. When Liz and Amy were spayed a couple of months ago, neither had pain meds and neither seemed to be in pain. In fact they acted like nothing happened and would not rest quiet. They were running up and down the stairs and jumping on the bed. I, on the other hand, needed to be sedated because I wanted them to rest!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I know it's kind of late but I would check with the vet too. When we had our girls spayed the vet sent us home with pain meds, but our vet keeps them over night too, just to make sure they are doing well. he makes sure everything is going well with them and they have to eat before they go home. Hope your girl gets to feeling better soon.

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
We had April spayed and she acted like shed never even been operated on -they used the laser for pain - bout had a heart attack when she came thru the door at home and jumped on the couch Sorry i cant help answer your ?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Poor baby...and I feel your pain too. Nothing is worse than feeling helpless to
relieve their pain and worrying about them. You should have an after hours #
to call them and I sure would...I'm sure animals are like people in that they
have different pain level tolerance.

Will say prayers over both of you and please let us know how she is
:muah2:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I have two words to say PAIN MANAGEMENT ! ! ! ! I've been through major surgery, and I know I WANT the freaking knock me out and let me heal drugs. So I do the same for my Bullies ! I dont know why its even an option ! grrr sorry off my soap box now

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I would ask your vet. I had Blossom spayed 2 months ago, and they sent me home with 5 doses of pain meds, but she only used 4 , she acted like nothing had been done. She was supposed to be quiet and not run or jump for 1 week, yeah right. The first night home, she jumped off the side of the couch. It was really hard to keep her quiet. She shouldn't be in pain on her first night home as the pain meds they get are good for 24 hours. We were told to give her the meds the next day, so be careful you ask first as they are pretty strong, and may be too much if you give it early. Hope everything is okay, and she feels better soon.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have no experience about spaying, but I do know pain. I would call and ask the vet.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'd be calling the vet too. Emma was spayed back in June and she was hopping around that night. If she had any pain I sure couldn't tell. If she won't stay still you may need to crate her - don't want the stitches pulling out. A spay in general takes a bit longer to heal than a neuter does though. Lets us know what the vet say and give her a hug.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online