Help Needed! stubborn and sick bully

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank has a yeast infection, eye infection, and beginnings of a respitory infection. We figure its due to allergys gone out of control cause the brat wont keep any pills down and if you do manage to get it into the back of his throat he will gag till he throws it up :cursing: . so of course with these infections we were given more pills to force feed to him. hes currently hiding under my daughters bed cause he knows its time for medicine. how he got his 60lb fat butt under there i have no clue cause usually the cats hide under there to get away from him so he may actually be stuck under there :ashamed:

soooooo how do you get a stubborn bully to take his meds???? hes on 2 benedryls 3 times a day, vitamin, one antibiotic pill, and a anti inflamitory cause his hind knee has been acting up (arthritus due to previous injury). thats a lot of pills to force feed knowing hes going to puke them up.

I have tried:
pill pockets
peanut butter
cottage cheese
yogurt
hotdogs
cheese
breaking capsules open/crushing pills and sprinkiling on eggs or bacon

the little brat seems to be able to sense that there is meds in something or on it and will just sniff it and walk away even if he dont see me do it!!!!:bitching:

any suggestions??????

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
ive tried that. he will use his tongue to move it around and gently bite on it and will completely eat whats around the pill lick it clean and leave the pill on the floor :/ hes too smart for his own good *grumbles*

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
My breeder suggested liverwurst for pill taking if I ever needed to do that. It's soft and definitely would mask the pill taste (I think)! Good luck!

M

mabel lou

That is so funny that you think he is under the bed stuck possibly lol. How about some boiled hamburger mixing it in really well.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
what is liverwurst? I tried eggs yesterday it was a fail usually they are his favorite treat but he stuck his nose in the air and walked off. i didnt have cheese on them though ill have to try them again with cheese and see if that works. I have not tried hamburger yet and i got some of that in the freezer. my cats arent even this much trouble to medicate!!

hes still under the bed i honestly have no clue how he wriggled under there :confused: . i figure give him a little while longer to come out himself before i have to tear it apart to get him out lol

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I would suggest ground sirloin raw; it usually does the trick. I keep it around for my oldest Great Dane, she doesn't like meds either and I have to be creative to get them down her. She loves the ground sirloin, I just open the pills and pour it in, form it into a meatball and down it goes, no worries and no problems. Tablets I grind them up and do the same with them, it makes things so much easier than stuffing them down her throat for her to gag and just spit them out. If she can smell them she doesn't indicate it, the power of the ground sirloin is more powerful than the worry of taking the medicine. Good luck.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
I hope you find something for Tank so he can get better! Brutus takes pills with out having to hide it, my girls I just hide them in cheese. I think Brutus thinks the pill is going to be a treat, and doesn't even bother to chew :excited: Have you tried crushing it up and dissolving in vegetable/chicken/beef stock then adding to his food?

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
What a little :evil: you are Tank. Hope you find a solution soon.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
what is liverwurst? I tried eggs yesterday it was a fail usually they are his favorite treat but he stuck his nose in the air and walked off. i didnt have cheese on them though ill have to try them again with cheese and see if that works. I have not tried hamburger yet and i got some of that in the freezer. my cats arent even this much trouble to medicate!!

hes still under the bed i honestly have no clue how he wriggled under there :confused: . i figure give him a little while longer to come out himself before i have to tear it apart to get him out lol

Liverwurst is a soft luncheon meat / spread made of (duh) liver. You can find it in tubes sometimes called braunschweiger in the lunch meat section or get the good stuff without preservatives and junk in it (Boarshead) from the deli counter. My guys really like it. I do too.

He'll probably bark if he can't get out and wants to. If Zelda got into the bedroom she'd head straight for under the bed. It was her favorite spot in the whole world. I'd use a broom to chase her out. She didn't get stuck. The bed is high enough for the dogs to get under but I keep them out of the bedroom these days due to my allergies and their noise at night.

Last edited:
OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
thanks guys will try a few of these suggestions that i havent tried yet. something has to give. :bitching:. at this point id rather medicate a cat than him.

M

mabel lou

I am so excited to read your post and see what exactly you gave him that he finally took and yeah my dog like boiled hamburger if I can't get them to take meds. But who doesn't like hamburger hahaha.

Last edited:

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I would try and crush them into a fine powder and disguise them in one of the foods people have mentioned. I sometimes make Olive a plain yogurt and fruit smoothie which she loves! That may work. Good Luck. Your stinker probably fell asleep under the bed. LOL!

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank was able to get out and tried sneaking past me using his army crawl lol. Sprinkling the crushed up meds on hamburger worked. He scarfed it down :). Thanks guys!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.