General Question Entropion or not to entropion, that is the question!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
[I posted this a few days ago form my iPad but itā€™s gone, so forgive if this is in fact a double-post]

Lupeā€™s recent vet check went great---no skin issues, no allergies (despite the crappy prescription diet sheā€™s on for bladder crystals), and her UTI stuff cleared for good thx to surgery/diet. The vet and techs canā€™t stop saying how cute she is, they just love her so much. YAY!

BUT, she developed ā€œmoderate entropion in one eye and mild in the other.ā€ There are no eye ulcers and sheā€™s not batting at them, but thereā€™s tears and one eye has wet fur, which is why I brought her in the first place.

Vet suggests surgery, but itā€™s not urgent. Do I want to do this? Itā€™s $1,000, but thatā€™s ok. We have CareCredit, and Iā€™m happy to do something if it helps BUT I worry about anesthesia, pain, plus I nearly stopped breathing the 24 hours she was inpatient for her bladder surgery :crying:. I was a MESS. So, is she uncomfortable with this eye stuff? Does it get worse? Lupe is 4 1/2.

Thx in advance all you wonderful people!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think if its not to bad you can try to put it off but the chances are its going to get worse over time so really it comes down to your personal preference.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How old is Lupe now? Also please fill us in on the diet part that helped with the UTI. So glad everything seems to going so well after the surgery!

OP
SunDog

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
How old is Lupe now? Also please fill us in on the diet part that helped with the UTI. So glad everything seems to going so well after the surgery!

She will be five in May. For the UTI stuff, the bulk was corrected by surgery on her lady parts to correct the severe stricture in the UT, deformed anatomy and an "angry bladder." We have her on Hills S/O (or Royal Canine? gosh I buy so much at once I forgot!). I KNOW, I know. It's awful, but we've had not a drop of infection or crystals in two years, and she's not having skin/breathing reactions. I also add water and Wellness fish & potato (wet) and supplement with Missing Link "Plus" and...you know...buckets of love. That counts as diet, right?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
She will be five in May. For the UTI stuff, the bulk was corrected by surgery on her lady parts to correct the severe stricture in the UT, deformed anatomy and an "angry bladder." We have her on Hills S/O (or Royal Canine? gosh I buy so much at once I forgot!). I KNOW, I know. It's awful, but we've had not a drop of infection or crystals in two years, and she's not having skin/breathing reactions. I also add water and Wellness fish & potato (wet) and supplement with Missing Link "Plus" and...you know...buckets of love. That counts as diet, right?

Buckets of love count! Lol

I do believe there are some cases that do require prescription diet. I was curious because sometimes the food or age can cause lower lid swelling. Age is usually young pups that are still growing their skulls.

If its not a huge concern you can always use lubricating eye ointment daily to make sure they won't cause an ulcer from the constant rubbing of the eye. If its a very mild case that is what I would do. You can get that at any pharmacy.

OP
SunDog

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Buckets of love count! Lol

I do believe there are some cases that do require prescription diet. I was curious because sometimes the food or age can cause lower lid swelling. Age is usually young pups that are still growing their skulls.

If its not a huge concern you can always use lubricating eye ointment daily to make sure they won't cause an ulcer from the constant rubbing of the eye. If its a very mild case that is what I would do. You can get that at any pharmacy.

Wow, ok. That was my instinct re: waiting and treating this daily with something. I have the polysporin. I think all-in-all if I can avoid anesthesia, then, that's good...but now I'm going to research food and lower lid swelling. THANK YOU, bully mama!

Eatapeach1965

Nov 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
My pups Mom had the surgery. I haven't asked how old she was.
But at what age does it start to show?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not familiar with entropian eyes, I have only dealt with Cherry Eye. My female Blossom had cherry eye in both eyes, and I fixed them 2 months ago. I would suggest though if its not bothering her, to wait and see. If its not bothering her , then just leave it for now. I also used refresh eye drops in Blossoms' eyes before her surgery to help keep them moisturized. Hope all goes well with Lupes' eyes and she won't need surgery. Good luck

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi there
Our Duke did have entropian surgery on both eyes.. but it was because nothing else was working . he did develop an ulcer that was painful for him so we opted to have it done. he has had no issues since.. I would suggest seeing a vet opthamologist to get a second opinion.. but would try alternatives first.. Good Luck!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.