Help Needed! Make it Stop!

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Well it looks like it wasn't the yogurt........ We had another rough night, Brutus woke up at 12:30 crying and barking to go outside. As soon as my boyfriend opened the crate, he made a mad dash outside to :poo: Not only was it super smelly, but very runny :nope: We didn't hear another peep out of him, either from us trying to get some sleep, or he couldn't hold it, but we woke up at 5 to :poo: all over his crate again :barf:

Needless to say I'm super worried about our baby, and just don't understand what is wrong. He has been on BB Wilderness for quite a while now (2 bags) We have always fed him yogurt in his dinner, which we didn't do last night to try to make it better. The only change he has had is we stuffed his kong with peanut butter Saturday night and then again last night, but that wouldn't cause this reaction would it? I also put 2 tablespoons of pumpkin in his dinner last night, but it didn't help :ashamed:

My boyfriend and I both work together, so one of us had to go to work. So I'm here worried, and Jay is waiting to take him to the vet when they open..... oh poor Brutus.

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
I completely understand your worry...this has happened to both of my bullies...once even on the same night. I took stool samples to the vet, and it turned out they had an increased amount of a certain bacteria in their poo...it was a bacteria that's always there, just more. They were both put on antibiotic and it cleared up in a few days. I have to say it did come back a few times though, so they went back on the med. The vet said it could have just been something in the yard or something that was causing this...maybe even something seasonal. I would get a stool sample to the vet. Good luck and keep us posted on your baby!

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
I completely understand your worry...this has happened to both of my bullies...once even on the same night. I took stool samples to the vet, and it turned out they had an increased amount of a certain bacteria in their poo...it was a bacteria that's always there, just more. They were both put on antibiotic and it cleared up in a few days. I have to say it did come back a few times though, so they went back on the med. The vet said it could have just been something in the yard or something that was causing this...maybe even something seasonal. I would get a stool sample to the vet. Good luck and keep us posted on your baby!

Oh NO, both on the same night, you poor thing! I called my mom, and she said it sounded like a bacterial issue too. I'm just hoping he didn't eat something he wasn't suppose to, and hasn't passed it yet. I don't think I can take him having to have another surgery. He loves rocks and sticks, we've tried REALLY hard to make sure all of that stuff is out of the yard, but you just never know.... it's like they can hunt those types of things down

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
This totally sounds like me night last night! I got a bit of food poisoning and barfed and :poo: all night. While I was reading the insane amount of causes of food poisoning, I'd imagine it would be the same as dogs. I would definitely take your baby to the vet if it doesn't stop today, and check for things like Gardia. Good luck!! Keep us posted..

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope you feel better [MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION]. We are taking him as soon as they open. Brutus is a celebrity at his vet, so they love anytime they get to see him, I just wish it was under differrent circumstances! I wonder how they test if it's food poisoning?

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I hope you feel better @ModernFemme. We are taking him as soon as they open. Brutus is a celebrity at his vet, so they love anytime they get to see him, I just wish it was under differrent circumstances! I wonder how they test if it's food poisoning?

Food poisoning is apparently caused by a lot of different bacteria/virus. If the yogurt was bad for example, that can produce symptoms even 48 hours after consuming (at least in humans)

Last edited:
OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Food poisoning is apparently caused by a lot of different bacteria/virus. If the yogurt was bad for example, that can produce symptoms even 48 hours after consuming (at least in humans)

Sunday night when we gave him the yogurt, all three dogs got it, could it only make him sick? We feed non fat 100% pure greek yogurt. They also had the same yogurt a few nights before

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Sunday night when we gave him the yogurt, all three dogs got it, could it only make him sick? We feed non fat 100% pure greek yogurt. They also had the same yogurt a few nights before

I would say spoiled yogurt or yogurt with a live culture out of whack could totally make your dogs sick. Definitely mention that at the vet. Oh, and maybe bring a small sample of the food and the yogurt with you? (And don't feel bad. The stuff I ate last night tasted awesome, i could have gotten something from someone not washing their hands!!)

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
I would say spoiled yogurt or yogurt with a live culture out of whack could totally make your dogs sick. Definitely mention that at the vet. Oh, and maybe bring a small sample of the food and the yogurt with you? (And don't feel bad. The stuff I ate last night tasted awesome, i could have gotten something from someone not washing their hands!!)

I'm going to make sure that yogurt gets thrown away ASAP. It's weird because he is running around playing like everything is perfect, but I also know EBDs have such a high thresh hold for pain, sometimes you just don't know. When Brutus had his fractured tibia he never even cried

L

Lucy-licious

stop everything except his food...and give him the pumpkin again. Actually you might want to start bland diet for a few days then introduce things back in one by one when his poops are a bit more solid :hug:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I agree with [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] I would switch to bland diet asap until things get back on track. If he is still having issues after a day or so of bland diet I would go to the vet and get him checked out. Is he still drinking plenty of water as well? One thing we found with Bacon is when he is on the bland diet he doesn't drink a lot of water so we add water to his food to make sure he stays hydrated. Good luck, hope Brutus starts feeling better soon.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
whenever Amber has problems (on a rare occasion,like when she stole allthe biscuits at Thanksgiving) I strip her diet, break out the rice cooker and feed her rice for a couple of days to bind her back up. I would get him checked out to be safe. Good luck.

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Well Jay just got out of the doctor with him, they said that his stomach might not be able to handle peanut butter because it's so fatty, that is just "greases the highway" They tried to do a stool sample but said he is all empty, but has really bad gas (we already knew that :barf:) So they told us to go back to kibble only for 7 days. Gave us some meds to get him back to normal, and another one to treat parisites in case it is a bacterial problem. Other then that they said he is a healthy little boy weighing in at 35 pounds. He also got his nails cut (thank goodness) Thank you everyone! It looks like we will ditch the peanut butter, does any one have any reccomendations on what they stuff their kongs with? I'm leaving work now to be home with our sick baby

nsuojanen

Dec 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humphrey
Sometimes we scramble eggs and freeze them, and put that in the kong! Hope your baby is feeling better soon!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.