ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I need you guys again! *frustrated sigh*

Some of you may remember the drama that ensued after Remi swallowed a foot long bully stick (you can read about that here: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...448-dont-use-bully-sticks-ever-seriously.html) Since then, we've been on the prowl to find toys that will hold Remi's attention span for more than 10 minutes. He absolutely loved the marrow bones, but turns out he's allergic to beef as well as chicken. We've been getting him some other bones for dental health, that have some longevity to his attention span. So far he loves the N-Bone pearly whites and N-Bone Quado bone. (He pretty much ignores all nylabones and we haven't found any antlers yet.)

Here is the issue: We're discovering that he's attacking these new bones with such gusto that it's cutting his mouth and gums. It's making a bit of a mess on the bone, and smears onto the blanket. It's not an overwhelming amount of blood, but obviously enough to bring concern. If he bites a pillow, for example, it will leave some blood behind. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but this is coming from the dog that thought it was okay to swallow a foot long bully penis. He's 5 months old at this point, so his teeth are still coming in. Is this normal? Should I limit his use? Never give them back?

Dare I actually get him antlers?? I feel like he would impale himself at this point. LOL...

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks always has some little spots of blood when go at her Nylabones.... I think they just scratch the gum line from the edges --- no big deal

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon will occasionally bleed when chewing on nylabones the antlers aren't as bad because they don't have those little knobbies on them like the nylabones have. Petco by us has antlers or you can order them online from a bunch of different places, I can pm you the links if you want.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Porky will bleed when she's cutting teeth I freaked n called her vet the first time n she assured me its normal n if it hurt her she wouldn't be doing it :) lol

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have never seen Lola's mouth bleeding! I would probably freak too but glad its no big deal I will remember that for the future! I hope his poor little mouth is ok!

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Denali, our Boxer, always has this issue no matter what we give her. She will just go to town until her gums are raw and bleeding. We just limit the amount of time she has with her toys.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Try some toys from Kong, ours like them, they are hard rubber, plus if you get antlers, get Elk antlers, they are better for bullies.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When mine chew their nylabones down so they are kinda "spikey", I will find some blood on them. it seems to bother me more than them!!!! As for antlers, well they get soft and chewy when they chew on them. They don't splinter at all ... or at least not the ones I've had so I certainly would recommend you giving them a go. Plus the antlers are healthy for them ... lots of nutrients.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Try some toys from Kong, ours like them, they are hard rubber, plus if you get antlers, get Elk antlers, they are better for bullies.

David, thanks for the suggestion. I know kong makes a ton of toys, but Remi gets a thrill out of them for like 30 minutes, and then he never touches them again. I need something that can occupy him while I work from home. Even for a couple of hours. Even the kong with the treats inside is too much work for my bully ROFL!!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Hey @kazzy220, @Davidh, @
Baconator - I saw some antlers online, but they looked very straight and narrow. Not as narrow as bully sticks, but small enough that he could possibly swallow them? What should I be looking for?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] try Yellowstone antlers, you can search that on the net they have elk anglers, don't know if they are the cheapest, but they have different quantity.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I got Herman some new Nylabones and noticed blood, so I just took them away from him for a couple of days. Just watch him closely and take it away when he's bleeding on them.

I learned some stuff about antlers here on EBN - there are a couple kinds - deer and elk are the most popular. They come in different densities too. I found that the large soft elk antlers (well, they aren't really soft, but compared to the "hard" ones, they're arent so hard). Inside there is some marrow that Herman loved. The deer antlers are softer and thinner, but not as thin as a bully stick. However, Herman has been able to gnaw some nasty looking jagged edge on the end of one.

I find that I liked the soft elk antlers the best. I also rotate between all his nylabones and antlers.

BTW how old is Remi now, is he teething? I think Herman is getting more teeth in because he's chewing on a lot more stuff lately, and I think that's why he's more aggressive with his nylabone.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.