Help Needed! Blood in Urine

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hello I am coming here to see if anyone here can shed some insight to my problem. About 7-10 days ago my 3 month EB started having blood in his urine. I was able to pinpoint the timing because he had an accident in his training class the week before and his urine was normal. About a week ago after his overnight crating I let him out and when he came out the crate I’m thinking he went to get a drink, instead he was relieving himself in my family room. That’s when I noticed his urine was brown. Seeing this I immediately made a vet appointment.

Once I got him to the vet I explained the situation to her and also mentioned he has maintained his normal playful attitude and he is definitely not suffering from any loss of an appetite as he licks his bowl and goes for my Pug’s bowl when he is done. The vet anticipated it could be a UTI even though it’s not common for males at his age. She prescribed antibiotics, amoxicillin, for 10 days and a urinalysis to be sure it’s a UTI.
The next day we got the results and he was negative for a UTI. The vet suggested he should still finish out the antibiotic cycle and reevaluate him after he is done if the symptoms are still occurring. Now we are approaching day 7 of the 10 day cycle and he still has blood in his urine. I expected to see some improvement by now since it’s been about 7 days. Because of this I began doing some more googling and the prognosis for blood in the urine is UTI, stones in bladder, cystitis or trauma. The urinalysis ruled out UTI and since he is urinating at his normal times without any issues and does not appear to be in pain or having trouble urinating. That also potentially rules out stones or cystitis. As for trauma I cannot recall him being dropped etc. but there is a very slight chance my daughter could have accidently kicked him. Now if it’s trauma when would I see some improvement in his urine?

I did some additional searching and came up with too much protein in his urine could cause bleeding. He is currently on the Wellness Core puppy formula. It has a 36% protein rating. Could this amount of protein be too much for him?

He has a previously scheduled appointment next Monday but I wanted to come here first and get some feedback/experiences prior to his appointment.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi , my name is Monica, and i have a Dozer too, he's 9 months old. I was going to mention all of the above reasons that you already mentioned, UTI, stones, etc, but since these have all been ruled out, I'm stumped for any other reasons. I just wanted to send my love, thoughts and prayers your way , and hope that it clears up. You are doing everything you can, by taking Dozer to the vet, the antibiotics, the googling to see what it could be , and following up with the vet again. Hopefully it clears up, or the vet can figure out what the cause is. Keep us posted on Dozer and let us know how he's doing. Good luck and hope all is well.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My bullie has hyperuricosuria and defected HUU-gene that makes him prone to develope urate stones. We found out the hard way and he had stones surgically removed about a year ago. I have seen pics of cloudy and brown urine on other dogs with the same condition, Usko has never had it, even when he had the stones. If I were you I would take a DNA-test for hyperuricosuria and mention that to the vet also.

L

Lucy-licious

Prostate problems?? Did the vet check his prosate?

Give him a hug for me xx

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
My bullie has hyperuricosuria and defected HUU-gene that makes him prone to develope urate stones. We found out the hard way and he had stones surgically removed about a year ago. I have seen pics of cloudy and brown urine on other dogs with the same condition, Usko has never had it, even when he had the stones. If I were you I would take a DNA-test for hyperuricosuria and mention that to the vet also.

With your bullie having hyperuricosuria how do you treat on an on going basis or once he had the surgery to remove the stones it eliminated the problem?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
With your bullie having hyperuricosuria how do you treat on an on going basis or once he had the surgery to remove the stones it eliminated the problem?

Bc the stones were removed we could sort of start from the beginning and only had to keep them away instead of trying to dilute them. I feed Usko modified raw diet and monitor his urine pH about twice a month. Urate crystals/stones form in acidic urine so keeping the urine pH at around 7 is important. I supplement with multivitamin (with no brewer's yeast, that's important), Gout Care and probiotics. Also baking soda three times a day to keep the urine pH at level. He is doinf great and hasn't had any crystals since the operation, but he is always at risk anyway if I would not take care of his diet and supplements. BTW almost all Dalmatians have this same defect and about 35% of the dogs develop stones.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am of not help on this but I tagged two of our member that have great insight on food

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Bc the stones were removed we could sort of start from the beginning and only had to keep them away instead of trying to dilute them. I feed Usko modified raw diet and monitor his urine pH about twice a month. Urate crystals/stones form in acidic urine so keeping the urine pH at around 7 is important. I supplement with multivitamin (with no brewer's yeast, that's important), Gout Care and probiotics. Also baking soda three times a day to keep the urine pH at level. He is doinf great and hasn't had any crystals since the operation, but he is always at risk anyway if I would not take care of his diet and supplements. BTW almost all Dalmatians have this same defect and about 35% of the dogs develop stones.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely mention this to the vet. Also how old was your Bullie when he was diagnosed?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the info. I will definitely mention this to the vet. Also how old was your Bullie when he was diagnosed?

You can google canine hyperuricosuria for more information and dogaware -webpage has a lot of good information. He was only about 13 months when he had the operation.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Was this a full urinalysis or just a test for bacteria? I would get a full workup done on him. You should probably bring a first morning, free catch sample for urinalysis on Monday and request a full CBC done if possible. You didn't say if your appointment on Monday was am or pm, but for accurate blood test results he needs to have not eaten anything for 7 to 8 hours prior to drawing blood.

The list of why this is happening is huge...

• [*=left]Systemic causes are generally due to coagulopathy (clotting)
    [*=left]Low number of platelets or thrombocytes in the blood (a condition known as thrombocytopenia)
    [*=left]Diseases of the upper urinary tract are caused by inflammation of the blood vessels (known as vasculitis)

• [*=left]Upper urinary tract – the kidneys and ureters:

• [*=left]Structural or anatomic disease, such as cystic kidney disease and familial kidney disease
      [*=left]Metabolic diseases, such as kidney stones
      [*=left]Neoplasia
      [*=left]Infectious diseases
      [*=left]Nephritis
      [*=left]Idiopathic causes
      [*=left]Trauma

• [*=left]In the lower urinary tract:

• [*=left]Infectious disease
      [*=left]Inflammatory disease in the kidney
      [*=left]Unknown cause
      [*=left]Trauma

• [*=left]Lower Urinary Tract ‒ bladder and urethra:

• [*=left]Structural or anatomic issues such as bladder malformations are implicated in bringing on hematuria
      [*=left]Metabolic causes, such as stones, are possible
      [*=left]Neoplasia

• [*=left]Infectious disease (such as bacterial, fungal, and viral disease):

• [*=left]Idiopathic causes
      [*=left]Trauma
      [*=left]Chemotherapy can elicit hematuria
      [*=left]Unknown cause
      [*=left]Trauma

• [*=left]Issues involving the genitalia include metabolic conditions:

• [*=left]Heat cycle, or estrus
      [*=left]Neoplasia
      [*=left]Cancer or tumors
      [*=left]Iinfectious disease such as from bacteria and fungus
      [*=left]Inflammatory disease
      [*=left]Trauma
The only way to be sure of what you are dealing with is to see the whole picture. IF this was caused by some kind of trauma you should start seeing improvement in a couple of days.

To answer your other question... I think 36% protein in the food is a little on the high side, but the only time excess protein alone should cause bleeding in the urinary tract is if there are underlying kidney issues and even then there should be protein leakage in the urine.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I'm no help either but will be thinking of you and look forward to an update of nothing but good news.

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I wanted to pass along an update.

The problem may have passed *knocking on wood*. The last two times he went out there wasn't any blood in his urine. He has one more antibiotic pill to take and he is finished the cycle. So either the meds cleared up any type of bacteria he may have had or the trauma has healed. Either way I am happy as I was beginning to get really worried. I'll continue to monitor but looks like the worse may have passed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.