Help Needed! Advice with brushing of teeth...

Trixie

Nov 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bixby
So I bought the Nylabone pet toothbrush set and have been trying to brush Bixby's teeth, but I can't get him to keep his moth open and when i do manage to brush his teeth, it sounds like he's choking on the toothpaste. How do you brush your bullies teeth? :(

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I use dental wipes from Drs Foster & Smith ... I also have the finger tip toothbrush but don't think it's as easy to use as the dental wipes.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi , my name is Monica, and I am new since Oct to this site, welcome. Your gonna love it it on here. I have 2 EB puppies, a brother and sister, 9 months old, and their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I also brush their teeth, I started when I first brought them home at 10 weeks old, so they are really used to it. Maybe the earlier they are the easier it is? I started with the finger brush, I use the Arm and Hammer dog toothbrush kit, it came with the fingerbrush, a regular toothbrush, and a beef flavoured toothbrush. When they were really small , I started with the finger brush, and a little bit of toothbrush, and they mostly just wanted to lick off the toothpaste. I started about 2 times a week, as they got older I found the fingerbrush was too small, and switched to the regular toothbrush. I usually try to brush their teeth about every other day. I use just a tiny amount of the toothpaste, and start at the back teeth. I sit on the floor, and place the dog between my legs, with their butt against my body, I place their face in my hand and open the mouth on one side, I brush the back molars first, and then the front teeth. They really don't mind. If you find your dog gags or seems to choke on the toothbrush, you really don't need to use toothpaste at all, a toothbrush with just water on it is all you need, it's the act of brushing the teeth that clean the teeth, not the paste, so try using just a wet toothbrush, and see if that helps, you can also use the wipes to clean the teeth as well if your dog doesn't like the toothbrush, and see if that works better. I also use the Oral Care Water Additive. There are different ones on the market, but I use one called Tropiclean Fresh Breath 12 hour fresh breath natural green tea water additive. You place one capful in the drinking water daily, and it reduces plaque and Tartar build up on their teeth and freshens the breath. I hope this helps you to find a way to brush Bixbys teeth. Good luck. Oh did I tell you I'm a Dental Assistant, so tooth care is pretty important to me. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
OP
Trixie

Trixie

Nov 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bixby
Hi , my name is Monica, and I am new since Oct to this site, welcome. Your gonna love it it on here. I have 2 EB puppies, a brother and sister, 9 months old, and their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I also brush their teeth, I started when I first brought them home at 10 weeks old, so they are really used to it. Maybe the earlier they are the easier it is? I started with the finger brush, I use the Arm and Hammer dog toothbrush kit, it came with the fingerbrush, a regular toothbrush, and a beef flavoured toothbrush. When they were really small , I started with the finger brush, and a little bit of toothbrush, and they mostly just wanted to lick off the toothpaste. I started about 2 times a week, as they got older I found the fingerbrush was too small, and switched to the regular toothbrush. I usually try to brush their teeth about every other day. I use just a tiny amount of the toothpaste, and start at the back teeth. I sit on the floor, and place the dog between my legs, with their butt against my body, I place their face in my hand and open the mouth on one side, I brush the back molars first, and then the front teeth. They really don't mind. If you find your dog gags or seems to choke on the toothbrush, you really don't need to use toothpaste at all, a toothbrush with just water on it is all you need, it's the act of brushing the teeth that clean the teeth, not the paste, so try using just a wet toothbrush, and see if that helps, you can also use the wipes to clean the teeth as well if your dog doesn't like the toothbrush, and see if that works better. I also use the Oral Care Water Additive. There are different ones on the market, but I use one called Tropiclean Fresh Breath 12 hour fresh breath natural green tea water additive. You place one capful in the drinking water daily, and it reduces plaque and Tartar build up on their teeth and freshens the breath. I hope this helps you to find a way to brush Bixbys teeth. Good luck. Oh did I tell you I'm a Dental Assistant, so tooth care is pretty important to me. Lol

Thank you Monica! I wish his previous owners has gotten him used to getting his teeth brushed, but it doesn't seem like it. I'll keep trying though. I will also get the water additive and that should help out too. Thanks again!!!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I use the chicken flavored toothpaste, so Herman keeps his mouth open for that. His mouth closes on the toothbrush and he tries to bite it and lick it, but I move it around enough. Just do enough to get him used to it while he's young. Maybe Bixby doesn't like the taste of the toothpaste, you can always try a different flavor :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am going to try brushing Lolas teeth today and see how it goes!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
It went ok she kept trying to shut her mouth and chew on my fingers but I eventually got it done! How often does everyone brush their bullies teeth?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.