General Question Broken toe nail :(

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Hmmm so last night I saw something black n shiny on the floor well since I have the flu I kinda pretended like I didn't see it bcuz I didn't wanna pick it up lol then porky woke up n decided to play with it so I finger swept her jowels n sure enough it was there it took me a second to realize what it was.........one of her nails n not a sheath like 1/2 of a whole nail!!!!! So I chased her down n inspected it is a nail from her back paw n it broke almost at the quick :( it's very tender n she won't let me look at it without almost hogtying her lol anyone ever had this happen??? Any ideas what may have caused it???? Oh n nothing to do with the nail but my idea for dehydrating food is on hold till I feel better butttttttt she's finally eating blue buffalo YAY no more kibbles n bits :D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well she got lucky it didn't get into the quick, because it would have hurt a lot more. She must have caught it on something.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
When Brutus got his cast taken off his entire toe nail came off, the vet told us not to worry about it. The nail will grow out on it's own it time like a person

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber got one of her back toenails caught in a small hole in the drain on the patio once and broke it to the quick. It scared me and she bled for a good little while. I wrapped it but she refused to have it bandaged. She lost the toenail but a new one grew back good as new. It took a few weeks but they grow back. Good luck.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Something similar happened to one of Rook's dew nails. Have no idea how it happened, and he didn't want me messing with it, but it eventually grew back just fine. Good luck!

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Broken toenails are a specialty of Schultz's (he's had more than I can count)...keep it clean, even when they complain its tender....his have always grown back...having the toenails dremeled instead of clipped has helped cut down on broken nails overall....

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Haven't done Luca's nails yet. Not Looking forward to it. Scared I'll go to far.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Broken toenails are a specialty of Schultz's (he's had more than I can count)...keep it clean, even when they complain its tender....his have always grown back...having the toenails dremeled instead of clipped has helped cut down on broken nails overall....
I would loveeeeee to dremel Porkys nails but she sees or hears one she runs n hides lol idk y but she's terrified of them even that pedi paws thing!!

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Haven't done Luca's nails yet. Not Looking forward to it. Scared I'll go to far.
I won't do Porkys :) lol I take her to her vet n they clip them for like $10 of course she's a 55lb wiggle worm so even if I learned how to properly cut them she wouldn't cooperate!!!!!!

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Something similar happened to one of Rook's dew nails. Have no idea how it happened, and he didn't want me messing with it, but it eventually grew back just fine. Good luck!
I think I found out how she did hers we have I guess what they call a burpee carpet (idk what it is lol) but all the fibers r looped back into the pad n I found one that was pulled out last night but still looped so I think she got her nail caught in it!!!! Her nail seems fine I swabbed it with an alcohol pad last night n put some neosporin on it n she didn't fight me so it must feel better :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Berber carpet I think is what you mean. They have a loop to them that she could very well have caught her toenail on. Glad it isn't as tender as it was.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Berber carpet I think is what you mean. They have a loop to them that she could very well have caught her toenail on. Glad it isn't as tender as it was.
Yes that's what it is called :) she has a mani pedi appointment tomorrow anyways so her vet said shed clean it up for me bcuz when I just finished her nightly cleanings she kept pulling it away from me again it's a little more broke now so I think she caught it again :( poor baby but she's a tough little turd so she only complains when I mess with it!!

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I think I found out how she did hers we have I guess what they call a burpee carpet (idk what it is lol) but all the fibers r looped back into the pad n I found one that was pulled out last night but still looped so I think she got her nail caught in it!!!! Her nail seems fine I swabbed it with an alcohol pad last night n put some neosporin on it n she didn't fight me so it must feel better :)

Good detective work! :detective2:
I think when things like this happen, I am always so much more freaked out than Rook. I hope Porky heals up quick!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.