General Question Greenies revisited

prendatram

Nov 24, 2012
Rolla, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
So I just got back in town from my local petsmart which is about two hours away. To pick Dozer up some avoderm food and a new tag that has all my info on it. WOOT. And I got him so water additive for his breath and some dental care. will see if he likes that but.

I saw some greenies on sale cause they expire in a month or so.

First they are designed for seniors b/c I think Dozer has issues eating harder things so that should help and they are a bit smaller so if he does get ahead of himself and he swallows wont be to hard on him.

Sidenote, vet said his teeth are fine just a little worn maybe b/c of eating harder toys when he was younger. not sure what previous owner could of gave him.

So i get a few and just gave him one about 30min ago. he seemed to break it up and chew it in a few pieces which i am surprised by.....]

So, my question is do you the community just avoid all together or would u recommend just watching him when he eats them and also could I break them up in smaller pieces.

also they the small ones only about maybe 3 inches long. pretty small for what I could imagine he could swallow if he wanted.

I just saw that post about the bully sticks.... FRIGHTING...

Thats all for tonight. Love from Sean and Dozer.

OP
P

prendatram

Nov 24, 2012
Rolla, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
forgot to mention I read the thread about greenies but that is over a year old. I wanna revisit this.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My sister gives her boxer Greenies and the dog loves them. I do not give them to my dogs. Bo cannot safely chew anything that small for fear he'll swallow it. Bea would probably do fine with them - but because he can't have them, she can't have them. I would never EVER give my dog an edible chewy thing -- like a Greenies or even a Beef Bone without supervision.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I gave mine once because she is thee thing and her breath smells like blood :barf: and she loved it. My baby is good wih toys and not destroying them... So so far I'm safe.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH would choke and vomit when we tried them so she does not get them even with supervision anymore.

I think each bully can have different experiences. So as long as you supervise while chewing on anything that might be a choking hazzard, and are prepared to react if a choking incident occurs then you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Bullies were designed to kill the bull, not eat it. Their skeletal makeup isnt suited to breaking things up and swallowing. HRH choked on Greenies. I wouldn't chance it.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have to be super careful with what I allow Diesel to chew on, poor guy has choked twice in his three years bad enough that I had to do the Heimlich on him and it was so terribly scary!!! with that said, each person will have a different experience with their bulldog, something I do with my bulldogs might be something you would never allow ... it's all in what you feel is safe for your dog and what you know your dog can eat, chew or do. but just to be safe when giving anything that might possibly be a choking hazard please make sure you are familiar with how to help your dog IF they do choke. what I've discovered, it seems its all trial and error with each individual bulldog! I hope the Greenies continue to be safe with your baby!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our boy, Nitschke was really good with them -- he would break pieces off and chew, and chew, and chew so he did get them once or twice a month. However, Banks, we tried twice with her -- they were pulled out of her mouth/throat both times as she tried to swallow them whole....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.