Help Needed! Soreness/Reluctant to walk...?

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi all...
curious question. As some may know, Wilbur had luxating patella surgery at 10 months. Layla, his sister, hasn't had any issues and in fact is quite an "athletic" bulldog.
However.....she has never liked to go for a walk. She runs and hides when she hears the leash and I have to coax her out of her crate or chase her around the dining room table. She will go but she walks slow once we get going.
She runs in the yard, jumps on couches, goes up the stairs...etc.
but she is super stiff when she wakes up, she limps, and she seems "tender" when I rub her butt/scratch her legs, pat her on her lower back (she sits immediately)....

Does anyone else experience this? Do some bullies just like to tear around their yard and house but hate walking? Is stiffness at this age normal? She is 1.5 yrs, never had X-rays.

is Layla trying to tell me something, or am I perhaps reading too much into it? Wilbur never let on he was in pain until the day his knee blew and he literally couldn't walk, so I have no frame of reference....I worry she is in pain.

thank you, as always! :blush2:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake acts like he hates walks too..we have to corner him for the harness..but then he is all excited to go. He often runs to the door and waits for me to catch up. She seems young for arthritis..but nothing would surprise me with these babies..Maybe [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] might have some ideas for you. You can never be too careful..

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have a friend (Kayla) and her bulldog (named Layla also) will play, run and be silly in the house but she seriously hates to go for walks, she will do it but walks slow and just kind of lumbers along but get her back home and she will play and be silly again. My little Diesel has very weak hips and he has a hard time getting up if he has been laying down and moving at first is difficult, he is stiff and takes time to get moving, winter is always hard on him but he loves to go for walks LOL he gets all excited and trots right along but we keep the walks short and sweet so he doesn't over do it and get too sore.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I don't know what this could be if she tears around the yard and house , but seems to pain when you touch her hind end. I'd say it wouldn't hurt to have a x-ray or at the least mention this to your vet. In the mean time, I give Regenex , a joint supplement to my crew everyday. Three of my bully's had suffered stiffness in the past, but no more.

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION], [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION]

Thank you guys for your input! I might just be a little nuts (after Wilbur's surgery I am totally paranoid):blink:. I will mention it to the vet and I think an x-ray is in her future for sure.... maybe she is just a homebody like me and doesn't really like to leave the house LOL!

Thanks again! xo

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I have 2 as well , a brother and sister, and my female Blossom, is crazy about walks, she could walk forever, she even has a little wiggle in her butt when she walks, but my male Bulldozer, hates to walk, you put the leash on him, and you literally have to drag him outside. Once he's outside, he will do his duties within 5 mins or less, and then look at the front door and want to go back inside. When we go for our walks, he will walk for maybe 10 mins, and then he just stops, lays on the ground with all 4 legs splayed out to his sides, and just lay there, looks at you as if to say I'm done with this walking, and I'm not going any further. This was fine when he was little, but he's 35 lbs now, and too heavy to carry home. I have to pick up his bum, and say walk before he will reluctantly start walking again. Lol. But like yours as soon as he gets back in the house, he will run around, play with his toys, horseplay with his sister, he can jump up and down off the couch no problem. If he's at the park, he will run around once he's there , but just hates walking there.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.