**Monthly reminder** Did you give your bully what they need?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The staff here at EBN thought that on the first of each month, we would put out a reminder to do a health check on your bully :)

Sometimes we all forget certain things, and a little reminder is always nice. :)

Did you give them their heartworm preventative this month?

Do they need a nail trim?

How about a bath?

How do those floppy cute little bully ears look inside?

Don't forget to respond to this topic! :)

Also, let us know if you think a WEEKLY reminder would be better than monthly. Some of us may be on a different schedule with heartworm & stuff.... so let me know what you think. :cool:

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Everything +worming=check but nails... what do u guys use for bully nail trimming? Mr.Beefy has big meaty paws and very strong nails..

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Everything +worming=check but nails... what do u guys use for bully nail trimming? Mr.Beefy has big meaty paws and very strong nails..

Did I ever tell you how much I :heart: the Dremel?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] here is the link all about how much desertsky LOVES her dremmel. lmao. It is a grinder that files back the nails and a lot of people use them for their pups. I havent gotten that far just yet tho. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...nd-new-LOVE-in-my-life.....&highlight=dremmel
My boys are in need of a bath and nail trimmings. Their ears are good to go and we dont use heartworm meds. Never thought we needed to, do you think it is something every dog should use or does it depend on area etc?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Ears and faced washed/cleaned last night, heart worm pill the 1st of every month, given today. commented last night to my hubby time for nails, It takes 3 vet techs. to hold him to get his nails dremmeled he HATES to have his nails done, but with ALL his nails being black I am afraid and I don't think I have the strength to hold him to do it. His nails grow extremely fast so about every 3 weeks we have to pay $11.00 for cut and dremmel. Tomorrow is bath day the Vet gave him an anti-fungel/yeast shampoo that we are going to use/try on him tomorrow....so Vegas is in check so far.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] here is the link all about how much desertsky LOVES her dremmel. lmao. It is a grinder that files back the nails and a lot of people use them for their pups. I havent gotten that far just yet tho. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...nd-new-LOVE-in-my-life.....&highlight=dremmel
My boys are in need of a bath and nail trimmings. Their ears are good to go and we dont use heartworm meds. Never thought we needed to, do you think it is something every dog should use or does it depend on area etc?
If you live in an area that is hot/humid and have mosquitos(spellchecklol) yes!!! But if you choose not to I would have them tested yearly or even twice a year. Also thanks for the link!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Their ears are good to go and we dont use heartworm meds. Never thought we needed to, do you think it is something every dog should use or does it depend on area etc?

They get heartworm from mosquito bites. I know at home we don't really get mosquitos but I use heartworm medicine because well number one I'm a bit of a worry wort but we also take the dogs alot of places including camping where they may get bite. Some people I know on here prefer not to give it because they don't want to over medicate, etc which is understandable so I would suggest if you don't want to put them on a heartworm preventative at least get them heartworm tested once a year at their annual exam if you don't already, my vet does a clinic on the weekends and its only like $30 so its not too expensive. Heartworm left untreated will eventually lead to death and from what I have read clear symptoms don't start to appear until its in the advanced stages. Not trying to scare you I just know someone who got a pup from the pound who's previous owners left it untreated for years and he had to be put down soon after my friend adopted him :( BUT it is treatable so if you are testing annually you should be able to catch it before it comes serious if they do ever get it.

We did full grooming session on Wednesday, bath, tail and then the face wrinkles daily. Cleaned one ear but the other is clearly up for an ear infection so I use wipe it out with a cotton ball daily. Don't want to irritate it with the ear cleaning solution. Heartworm preventative was given on 9-23, 23rd of every month! And his nails never really get long, I assume that lazy, heavy feet dragging across the concrete in my backyard files then down a little each day????

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Heartworm is with dinner tonight and then in a week is their Comfortis. Ear and bath check is every Sunday!!! Nails when I can, but I think I am going to call the vet and see if they can do it this time. Thanks for the reminder!!!! I usually am good at remembering, but it is nice to see it come up in the forums!!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
@TessandSamson You are so lucky about the nails, Vegas's grow so fast it is an every 3 weeks (and they are clicking on my tile by then) to the vet techs for a trim and dremmel. And living here in Florida hot/humid, and a pond in our back yard heart-worm meds are a must!!

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Ears and wrinkles cleaned last night. Nails trimmed last week. Took him to a local pet store and he ended up pooping a little. :eek:

Don't know if the vet checked for heartworm the last time we were there, I'll ask him next week when Stig, hopefully, gets his second set of vaccinations.

He may need a bath soon, although we gave him one 2 weeks ago. For some reason he's starting to smell like a 'sweaty fish'. :p Must be from the Fromm Salmon & Veg food and the twice a day salmon oil we give him.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Thanks for your answers, I will def have them checked for heartworm at their physical. If I remember correctly I had asked the vet about it and she said we shouldnt need it here but I will for sure double check and make sure what all the boys need.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online