Help Needed! Black Spots near the ribs

baxtyboy

Dec 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
So Baxter has this dark black spot that has been forming on his left side. It seems to be getting worse and also seems to be forming on the other side as well. I'm wondering what it is and what I can do to fix it. He had also been forming some small circular spots on his back. I was told to treat it with Monistat 7 and shampooed him with Head and Shoulders and it seemed to go away. Any insight on what this is or how to help it? There is a picture attatched so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2012-12-05_21-41-13_939[2].jpg
    2012-12-05_21-41-13_939[2].jpg
    91 KB · Views: 204

firecop71

Dec 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette and Charlene
Several years ago, my girl had these exact same "spots".
Her first vet diagnosed "seasonal flank alopecia" with various fixes, that didnt work.
Another vet suggested it was "classic melatonin deficiency", and suggested 25mg of melatonin a day.
Cured, and never returned.
YMMV

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I don't know what it could be is it from him scratching. I love his color he's very cute

BrunosMum

Dec 10, 2011
Canada
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno, Mya
This is seasonal alopecia. Bruno had the same thing earlier this year. Our vet suggested giving him melatonin once a day.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
yes, or change the food, I had two that had this and the change of protein made a difference

OP
baxtyboy

baxtyboy

Dec 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
Thank you all for the responses. He does not scratch it or seem to be a bother to him. Sounds like Melatonin is the answer. Firecop71 you said 25mg per day...BrunosMum, do you remember how much you gave Bruno? I assume you can just use the Melatonin pills you can get over the counter? Thanks again!

OP
baxtyboy

baxtyboy

Dec 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
Sherry, did you increase the protein? We usually feed him Royal Canine for Bulldogs, but our supplier was out, so we switched to Beneful the last month or so. We just started back on Royal Canine as of this morning.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Sherry, did you increase the protein? We usually feed him Royal Canine for Bulldogs, but our supplier was out, so we switched to Beneful the last month or so. We just started back on Royal Canine as of this morning.

Grain free and change from chicken to a red meat protein. Beef and Salmon work best for us, Lamb is good too but we prefer the beef

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Sounds like you may have found your culprit! Beneful is the worst of the worst in dog foods. Not a fan of RC either but it is 1000 times better than Beneful.

Everyone above gave excellent advice, one 25mg melatonin a day has yeilded positive results for many. It does not always work though.

firecop71

Dec 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette and Charlene
Thank you all for the responses. He does not scratch it or seem to be a bother to him. Sounds like Melatonin is the answer. Firecop71 you said 25mg per day...BrunosMum, do you remember how much you gave Bruno? I assume you can just use the Melatonin pills you can get over the counter? Thanks again!

Yes, just any brand of Melatonin will do, and IIRC, 25mg is the standard pill size.
1 a day, and it was cleared up in about 3 weeks or so, and no traces after about 6.
Never came back either.
Oh, and yes, definitely get your bully off beneful as soon as possible.
I have had very good luck with Wellness brand, but any good quality grain free food, especially with fish
is a God send to bully allergies, and tummys.
Hope it works out for you.

BrunosMum

Dec 10, 2011
Canada
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno, Mya
I gave Bruno one 25mg tablet a day, over the counter tablets are fine. It doesn't work for all bullies, plus it can take a while to see results. I also feed Bruno Fromm Beef.

OP
baxtyboy

baxtyboy

Dec 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
So a month ago I reported Baxter having black spots on his side. People recommended giving him Melatonin, which I did, but it didn't turn any results. Any other ideas?

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
[MENTION=7275]baxtyboy[/MENTION] my Nihya had the exact same thing. The change in food helped the black spots go away completely and have not come back in over a year and a half (knock on wood). She never took meds for it, just changed her food. Try a food with salmon in it as your bully's skin will benefit from the natural omegas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online