URGENT!!! Frankie just shredded and ATE a sock

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
Please help!! any advise Frankie, just shredded and ate my daughters sock.... I am not sure what to do she seems like its not bothering her, but I am freaking out.

Should I be worried its going to get stuck and block her airway or in her stomach?

SHe was spayed last Thursday and we they almost lost her in the begining of the procedure bc they couldnt get tube down her throat bc it was so small..

I am so scared! Please any advise greatly appreciated.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi , my name is Monica, and I have a 9 month old EB named Bulldozer, he has eaten rocks, paper towel and his favourite item is socks. He swallowed my husbands sweat sock about 2 months ago, but we didn't know when he had done it. He just threw up a sock one morning. Last month he swallowed my Grandsons' sock, and again we didn't know he had swallowed it. He woke up in the morning with diarrhea, and then he threw up 4 times, he also was drooling saliva which is an indication he had an obstruction. These are the signs you want to watch for, Diarrhea , vomiting, and drooling. Dozer ended up getting pretty sick, I called the vet, and she gave him a laxative, and 4 cans of fibre food, which we fed him a Tablespoon every hour, to help move things down his intestines. Keep an eye on her, don't feed her anything by mouth until you know if she has an obstruction, probably tomorrow. If she shows signs take her to the vet right away. Most of the time they either throw them up, or pass them in their stools . Dozer did pass the sock in his stool the next night, you have to keep checking the poop to make sure they pass it. My female Blossom ate a piece of a stuffed animal last night, and I'm waiting for her to pass it. There is a really good article written by JeannieCo on EBN news articles, called The Dangers when Articles are swallowed. You should read it. I know it's scary, and we worry until they pass the item, but most of the time they do, just watch for the signs and keep an eye on her. I hope everything is ok, sending good thoughts and prayers your way that Frankie is okay. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake has eaten many things. The biggest was 3/4 of a queen size chenille pillow sham. I never knew he had eaten it until he started throwing up. He ate and acted totally normal. He did pass it on his own. But was not a pup. He was about a year. Even if he passes it ok expect some vomiting..which is how you want it to come out! In his case..I think I would call vet in the morning and see what they say. Since he had issues before..I would just feel better. It is amazing what they can process through their systems.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka ate 4 of my little footie (athletic socks)...three of them I never knew he had gotten and one he snatched before I could take it from him. He threw them up three times (two at once, one of the times since he had eaten TWO without me knowing!) and the last one he passed on the other end. He also ate one dress sock of mine which we had him vomit (took him to the vet for a shot). It is very scary! I would all the vet and ask their advice, that's what we have always done. They usually instruct us to bulk up his stools with lots of fiber if they think it's too late to vomit him and then pray he passes it. With the dress sock, they had us come in to vomit him just to be safe since it was a longer sock. I would NOT try to vomit the pup yourself (with peroxide, as many do) since the airway is so small and you might have a choking issue. Because the airway is so small I am guessing they might not want to induce vomiting at the vets either. You might have to wait for your baby to throw it up on her own or pass it the other way. Others have already given you the signs of obstruction so be very wary of that and ready to run to the vet if you notice something is not right. Those little buggers get a hold of socks so fast and then get them down so fast. I will keep Frankie in my thoughts, and I hope she will pass it alright!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I would just watch him closely, Vegas ate my glove a couple years ago, I knew I had "lost it" for about 3 days, on the 3rd day he threw it up. Imagine my :w00t::jawdrop:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo used to enjoy going into grandma's bathroom and getting her shoes. He ruined one pair and then grandma grabbed a clue about leaving stuff on the floor when there's a chewy-prone, teething little puppy in the house. He still likes to steal her slippers -- but he doesn't chew them up. He enjoys the attention he gets when she finds the slipper where it wasn't before --- generally, on Bea's "stinky blanket". (Maybe he's trying to frame Bea? LOL) He wags his little stub as if to say, "Yep. That was me! I'm so clever and FAST!"

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have no help with the small trachea but Cutty has eaten his fair share of underwear. I usually don't know at the time and he eventually throws it up,although he has passed some even. If she throws up randomly then she will probably throw it up. Takes sometime sometimes. If she is eating and pooping ok try not to worry so much but I would keep a lose eye on her if she throws it up with a small trachea.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Chester had a small trachea, a snug 6. It is important to keep Frankie's weight down, make sure her palate isn't elongated, can breath okay thru nose. Having gone thru one blockage surgery with Mack and one blockage surgery with Ruggles I prefer the vet to do a forced puke and not have to worry about the item going through. In Frankie's case I'd go by the size of the sock--if it is an adult size tube sock I'd do the puke.

OP
bullyluv34

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
THank you all so much for the advise and articles! Yeah, they said their smallest bully treach they ever had in their was a 7 and she ended up being a 5...

it was a small girls ankle sock but she literly shredded it then swallowed it.. so im sure its brokse down pretty good.. she's eating , drinking, and pooing ok, but nothings coming out.. I will keep a waych on her..

I will keep you all posted!

Thanks again!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
While Winston hasn't gotten a taste for textiles, he does chew up his toys. We take them away and replace them when they get too worn, but when he was a little puppy we experimented with some rubbery toys for him. They lasted almost a year with him, before suddenly there were pieces left instead of toys. Needless to say they didn't last very long after that. They all got thrown out. Or so we thought.

A few -weeks- later, he threw up the most ... amazing pile of multicoloured bits of his old toys. On the one trip we took him to the coast, he pooped out bits of a pink rubber bone he had had for a while. Everything has passed one way or another just fine.

Definitely keep a close eye on Frankie. But don't be so scared! Just be prepared to take him to his veterinarian if his behaviour changes before you find the remains of the sock.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
THank you all so much for the advise and articles! Yeah, they said their smallest bully treach they ever had in their was a 7 and she ended up being a 5...

it was a small girls ankle sock but she literly shredded it then swallowed it.. so im sure its brokse down pretty good.. she's eating , drinking, and pooing ok, but nothings coming out.. I will keep a waych on her..

I will keep you all posted!

Thanks again!

How is Frankie ?

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
How is Frankie doing now? Is she ok? Please let us know how she is. Susan Moore