General Question Ears and feet

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
I actually have a couple of questions for you all, one about ears and one about feet.

What do you clean your bullies' ears with and how often? I haven't had any problems with Clara's ears, and I just wipe them out with peroxide every now and then, really only about once a month. The vet was impressed with the health of her ears as she said she hardly ever sees a bully with great ears. Does it matter whether we use peroxide or iodine, or is there something else that's better?

Now for the feet--Clara's feet stink like human feet, and so do my Boston's feet. Does this represent any particular problem, or is it normal? I try to wipe their feet with a baby wipe every evening so the odor isn't rubbing off on everything they walk on because I noticed early on with Clara that my big area rug in the living room smelled like one giant dirty foot, and it was a bear getting that odor back out of the rug. If it's normal, what do you do that works if anything. If it's not normal, what's going on with the stinky feet?

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I just clean my 2 ears with a unscented baby wipe, once a week, and we bathe our pups once a week. I haven't had any odour problems , but I have read other people's comments on here , and most of the odour problems with paws has been a yeast problem. I don't know if this is what's happening with Clara? What food are you feeding her? Sometimes food can cause yeast problems.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Hmmm. I have a Boston and a bully too, and we only have stinky feet when yeast or grass allergies kick in. Is there any red/rust fur on their feets? If you're not seeing anything too alarming, a 10-minute soak in Epsom salts won't hurt. I also discourage "recreational foot gnawing" as per our vet (the more walks we take, the less that happens) -- and I also use Snout Soother on Lupe's paws a few times a week.

With the peroxide, I stopped that years ago when our vet said it could change the PH in the ear, and we switched to witch hazel. Maybe ask about that, but also, I've learned---ESPECIALLY with a bulldog--if what you're doing is working, then...yay!

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
We are currently feeding Chicken Soup as Clara had hot spots with the TOTW and Earthborn. I did begin the transition yesterday to Fromm Adult Gold, though, because of the pie living for both of my girls. I do know for sure that Zelda the Boston has grass allergies, and I still say that, now that I think of it, the odor from their feet is decreased now that the grass is becoming dormant.

No, no red or rust coloring, just lots and lots of paw licking for both of them, mostly at night. They both lick like crazy before falling asleep.

I might go ahead and pick up some witch hazel for the ears. I didn't know this about peroxide, and thus is precisely why I asked what others use. Does the witch hazel come in a bottle or just in pads?

I'll also try the Epson salt for soak to see if that helps. I suppose it can't hurt. Do you just put it in the tub and let them stand there for a few minutes?

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I use a bully wash on Amber (lemon juice, vinegar, and water; about a third of each). It is cheap, works great and leaves her smelling lemony fresh. We have a one gallon plastic bucket we put the bully wash in and dunk each foot in there for a few minutes and then we use a rag and wash over her body with the rest. As for the ears; Ambers are nice and pink but I do still have a rag with the wash and wring it out and just wipe in her ears a little bit. Her wrinkles and tail pocket are washed with witch hazel. Good Luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are currently feeding Chicken Soup as Clara had hot spots with the TOTW and Earthborn. I did begin the transition yesterday to Fromm Adult Gold, though, because of the pie living for both of my girls. I do know for sure that Zelda the Boston has grass allergies, and I still say that, now that I think of it, the odor from their feet is decreased now that the grass is becoming dormant.

No, no red or rust coloring, just lots and lots of paw licking for both of them, mostly at night. They both lick like crazy before falling asleep.

I might go ahead and pick up some witch hazel for the ears. I didn't know this about peroxide, and thus is precisely why I asked what others use. Does the witch hazel come in a bottle or just in pads?

I'll also try the Epson salt for soak to see if that helps. I suppose it can't hurt. Do you just put it in the tub and let them stand there for a few minutes?

I use Witch hazel as needed for ears and unscented baby wipes and epson salt soaks for feet --- grass is a big allergy for Banks so he paws are wiped every time she comes in from outside and the soaks are as needed, but at least once a week. i use an old dish pan for her ... front paws then back paws

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.